What book are you currently reading?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #121

You might be surprised at younger librarians and what they can offer. My daughter is 26yo and works in a library. She reads several books a week and has for a long time.

(Ben ) #122

The Salt Fix Why the Experts Got It ALL WRONG- and How Eating More Might Save Your Life by Dr. James DiNicolantonio

(Running from stupidity) #123

No younger people know anything.

(Laurie) #124

First published in 1967 in Sweden. Good! (If you like police procedurals.)

ManontheBalcony

image https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51YK570pv0L.jpg

Yet another doctor with person issues they wanted to resolve - medical school barely touches nutrition but when doctors need personal answers they seem to figure things out.

There are thousands of research papers on how (modern) wheat is all but poison so information is not that hard to find.

I was amazed to find wheat’s glycemic index (gi) is higher than that of sucrose (sugar). Big insulin rush!

What Dr Robert Lustig is to sugar - Dr William Davis is to wheat?

Davis has some great YouTube vids as well.

(KCKO, KCFO) #126

Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea if you are going to read the “lost generation” as they are referred to, easiest to read, short, and one of the best books ever written IMHO. Another person worth reading from that era is Dorthy Parker.

Hermann Hesse is a great late 1800s writer. I re-read a number of his books every few years, Demian, Steppenwolf, & Siddhartha. I always pick up on something everytime I read them.

For Sci-fi, I still love Clarke, Assimov and Frank Herbert’s writing, if you can get Assimov’s short stories collections, they are well worth your time, he is an expert at the short story form.

(Laurie) #127

Wheat Belly was interesting. First he convinces us that wheat is bad. Then he shows that other grains are almost as bad. Then that other starchy foods are almost as bad as grains. And that fruit isn’t so great either, as it has too much sugar. If I remember correctly, he talks about legumes too. He warns against just about everything except animal proteins and fats!

(Diane) #128

I just discovered that I bought this audiobook (The Lies of Locke Lamora) several years ago and never listened to it. I have about 7 hours to go on my current book, but have just downloaded Lies for my next “listen”!

After reading the “Art and Science…” I wanted more Phinney and Volek so I found this book.

The Atkins 20 Induction Phase is the same as the “keto diet”.

I like this book because the Atkins crowd have had millions of people at least read their books over several decades and they have had thousands of people through the system. They have valuable experience in the ketogenic diet I can benefit from.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #130

For me, the novels of Jane Austen are like popcorn or candy, even though most people prefer Trollope, Dickens, or Thackeray. But how can one resist a novel that begins, “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife”?

ETA: Back in a while. I know I left that book somewhere . . . :grin:

(KCKO, KCFO) #131

That one got me started on my Journey. I still refer to things in it.

(Running from stupidity) #132

I read it after I had a fair idea what I was doing, and the whole “marketing sent this back for 3000 edits” aspect of it drove me crazy. If it was the first keto book that I read, rather than “Obesity Code,” I’m not sure what would have happened.

TBH, it really REALLY made me suspicious of the authors (which, even now, I can tell I still am) because it was so blatantly commercial, and so badly written (again, when compared to Jason’s books).

My main driver “The Art and Science of Carbs” … but then I wanted recipe ideas and practical, “hey what do I actually eat now” it was Phinney et al who put me on to that Atkins book (which they co-authored). But then I realised the Atkins crowd had deep experience at the coal face, dealing with thousands if not millions of people through the process. It is not as simple as 20g and wham you’re done. Candida, gout, not everyone loses weight due to …

Otherwise the “Obesity Code” is also a great book (haven’t read it all though) but what he writes about various diets, including Atkins really nails it.

I love a bit of Jane Austen but Thackeray’s Vanity Fair just edges out Pride & Prejudice for a popcorn/candy read. Perfect beach book IMHO :smile:

(Running from stupidity) #135

I was really looking forward to reading this book.

Now I am most of the way through it, I just wish I had finished it already and never have to look at it again.

To me, it just seems like a significantly dumbed-down subset of The Obesity Code (which is awesome).

Sad :frowning:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #136

I started with the fasting book and now reading the obesity code. Guess I got the order right. Dumb luck.

(Allie) #137

I liked it, but have never read The Obestity Code as it’s very expensive to get here for some reason. Now I’m glad I didn’t spend the money on it.

(Diane) #138

This is my most recent read by Dr. Sara Myhill. She talks about what she has discovered about treating the underlying issues behind so many metabolic diseases.

(Allie) #139

This is on my amazon wish list :blush:

(Running from stupidity) #140

Can I add “more daily likes” to MY Amazon wishlist?