What book are you currently reading?

(Troy) #101

To change it up a bit
Had this book on my next to read list
Hoping to find out if my 300+ days on this forum is a habit or addiction😳
I’ll go w both😂

(Kay baker) #102

looks very interesting Doug…my kinda book

It’s a great book - stands up to several readings. You should enjoy it.

(Troy) #104

Great to know
Thank You
I’ll dive in next week

(Allie) #105

This is my current book, well I’m still on my previous book too but have to do work alongside that one so dipping in and out of them both.

(KCKO, KCFO) #106

I have just finished up bios of two of my fav chefs, Marcus Stevensson’s Yes Chef and Eric Ripert’s 34 Yolks. Life was brutal in those Euro kitchen’s when they were working their way up the career ladder.

Marcus’ story had me in tears at times.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #107

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #108

(Allie) #109

There’s a revised version of this coming out soon, if it’s not out already.

(Todd Allen) #110

Currently reading

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #111

Reading this

Will get a copy of this before I go on vacation:

First book is for my brain. Second book is well, for my brain as well.

(Running from stupidity) #112

I’m no animal-knowing bloke, but I know that’s not a python.

(Laurie) #113

Fascinating, as she remembers her thought processes, seeing things for the first time, and so on.

(Terence Dean) #114

https://www.amazon.com.au/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented/dp/0201633612Gang%20of%20Four_%20Design%20Patterns_

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #115

Good book.

(KCKO, KCFO) #116

I really loved Ivor and Dr. Gerber’s book. Glad to see it in here.

(KCKO, KCFO) #117

Hey, server guys don’t get outside much, probably didn’t even notice the book has the wrong reptile. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kay, keep trying to read novels.

You will often find more truth in fiction than the purported facts included in so-called analytical works. You will also find much better writing in novels.

I do read non-fiction but as a newspaper editor for decades I found too many writers couch their facts in prejudice and preconceived opinions. At least novelists tell you up front that their work is a greater part imagination.

When I wrote my first novel in 2003 (My Dying Breath) based on my combat tour in Vietnam, I read several other first-person, non-fictional accounts and found many to be retelling the same stories with slightly different variations. A common theme? Or simply embellished versions of the same tales and not first-hand accounts?

I wanted tell a tale about individual brotherhood and sacrifice and not just the political ramifications and political fallout of the war. That story could not be told in non-fiction without hours long yawns.

Fiction allows the author the freedom to both entertain and inform the reader; to get into a character’s mind and explore his soul. Non-fiction can scare you but seldom does it put you into the shoes of the doomed.

As an aside, I would like to recommend all readers to consider reading science fiction classics. Clarke, Assimov, Dick, Pournelle, Nivens, etc. are among the most impressive writers of the modern era. They not only can be vivid in their writing but are so creative in their thinking. And the great ones do their research.

(Kay baker) #119

Thanks Doug…certainly some sound and interesting advice. You now make me want to try and find a novel to read.

Thank you so much for going into such detail for me…it now makes sense and the least I can do for my “closed” attitude is try. I Will certainly let you know what I think after I read one…

Also, if you are struggling with finding an interesting novel to you, try starting with the tried-and-true masters and then seek out those writers who are hidden gems.

The classics from the 19th Century are great indeed but the dated material and writing style might turn you off. Also the “Bohemians” of the early 1900s like Fitzgerald, Heminingway etc are brilliant but can be tough sledding for first-time readers of fiction.

Therefore I would recommend the many brilliant modern writers of mystery and techno-fiction. Roberts, Ludlum, Clancy, etc.

An actual, living, competent librarian (probably middle aged) would be of great help.

(and don’t dismiss those sci-fi giants.)