What book are you currently reading?

(John) #303

The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll.

Fiction:

Dune - Frank Herbert
Little Fish - Casey Plett

Nonfiction:

White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism - Robin DiAngelo

(Consensus is Politics) #305

I hear you. But I’m a big sci-fi fan myself. Reading on this forum often fuels that need for some good sci-fi. But I mean that in a positive way. Seeing as any good sci-fi is filled with actual science facts, often taken to the extreme in its use, minus unnecessary techno babble (think Star Trek: Voyager, techno babbel to the max).

One day while making a reply here, dont even remember the thread, I refered to myself as a Ketonian. It was a virtual slap to the back of my head. “Bob you geek. You’re showing your inner geekness! A Ketonian… bah… what? You living in a sci-fi world”. And I answered myself with a proud, “why, yes, I am. A Proud Ketonian and on occasion need to show these normal Eartlings that they too can make the evolutionary jump like I did to become a, ‘Homoketonian’ :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #306

I will buy anything by Connie Willis, C. J. Cherryh, and Lois McMaster Bujold. They are three of the finest writers alive.

I have given up on David Weber, whose work I used to enjoy. I broke down and bought his latest Honor Harrington and Safehold novels, and they were both something of a disappointment—not nearly as strong as the earlier volumes in their respective series. I’m also finding that, as much as I’d like to know what happens next, I find myself caring less about the characters. They are just too static and predictable to sustain interest over many novels.

(Ashley) #307

Currently reading “the burning bed”. It’s actually a book and movie that was wrote about my cousin. My dads 1st cousin. Decided to try to give a read to see if it’s decent at all. Apparently my cousin wasn’t a nice man at all. image

Just finished this, and I give it a RAVE review, 10 stars. Very interesting story telling and historical documentation, never a dull moment really. And, it really hit the spot in terms of my own midlife retrospective, grateful to be alive and seeing the glass half-full (esp after reading this book!)

Cowritten by a senior Park Ranger and a ten year veteran Grand Canyon physician & scholar, it reports on all known human deaths in the Canyon since the Desert Cultures were invaded, from about the 1600s to the last decade. Not only that - it details many very heroic rescues of near-deaths!

All known accounts of mishaps or deaths of white “explorers”, gold & copper miners, and, since GC became a national park, TOURISTS and park employees.

The Grand Canyon is its own microclimate, the Colorado River there has tons of whirlpools, rapids, and very serious force - and since Hoover Dam was built, the Colorado River has an unpredictable flow due to dam releases, and also became some 40-50 degrees colder - which poses huge risk of shock if one falls into the 50 degree water when it’s 115 degrees (and has wrought much ecocide for non-human species, which has been documented elsewhere by researchers in painful detail).

The book is divided into sections like Upper Rim, Inner Canyon, River, Aircraft accidents, Rock Slides, Lightning, Suicides, Murders, and venomous creatures (the least of all causes, though tourists tend to think the rattlers and scorpions are waiting to get them, they are just living in their habitats).

Great writers, who truly pay respect & homage to the stories and also educate on preventative measures so serious campers or hikers can be wiser when visiting. I couldn’t put it down.

GC

(Running from stupidity) #309

“Why you shouldn’t design your own book cover: font selection 101”

lolol. I do love the rainbow though.

It’s as eclectic as the stories it tells. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #312

Finished the “how to speak chicken” book which didn’t really teach you how to speak chicken, it basically tells you to watch your own birds and imitate them :joy:

Next this one as I’ve had my girls five weeks now and although I’m doing OK with them, I still feel I know nothing…

(Ellen) #313

Dammit I was looking forward to you posting in chicken speak & trying to translate what you were saying :sweat_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #314

I read that as “EATING Chickens for Dummies”

(Linda) #315

Definitely piqued my interest with this one. Thanks.

(Ashley) #316

Finished up reading “the burning bed.” It’s actually not a bad book. My dad says he doesn’t remember his cousin being such drunk. But my dad was a bit younger than him. I know other family members mentioned they knew! Actually have watched the movie loads, also recall in high school in health class my teacher putting it in to show relationships mixed with alcohol and behaviors associated with it especially when the person already had a temper before consumption. I remember saying I have seen the movie and that it’s about a cousin of mine even though I didn’t know him, I still felt I did from people talking about him!

(Allie) #317

Well you could be almost right as there’s a fair bit about rearing them as meat in the book, although I’ll be skimming over those chapters as I just couldn’t… :slightly_frowning_face:

(John) #318

Emotional Success by David DeSteno.

It is about using effects (backed by neuroscience) of three specific positive emotions: gratitude, compassion, and pride, to bolster your ability to achieve long-term goals and resist short-term temptations without having to rely on willpower to do all of the heavy lifting.

(John) #319

Finished the previous one. Now I am reading Barking Up the Wrong Tree, by Eric Barker.

(Troy) #320

Sorry😳
Not a book really, just trying to see the mild - dark side ( pun per the cover ) and know thy enemy😄
I’m already conquering and winning
It’s Free monthly at least

Ok, Now I’m running :running_man: to the hills!!
John Wick 3-ish fat adapted quickness
Gonna get flack for this

Be nice😓
Haha

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #321

I love “The Big Fat Surprise” so much! It it eye opening, disturbing and wonderful!

(Keto Travels) #322

Jumping back and forth between a few books: Julia Ross “The Mood Cure” - since my Dad recommended it and he’ll be visiting me for a long weekend next week :innocent:, Margarita Magnusson “The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning” - feeding the part of my brain that keeps pushing for minimalism (and is so not a natural), and the Sandman Comics - because :heart::black_heart::heart::black_heart::heart: Neil Gaiman, and I finally found a way to read them without buying them :star_struck: