What book are you currently reading?

Now on the list - cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

(Keto Travels) #324

Just finished it … it’s refreshingly „amateur“ in style, very approachable, and definitely not selling anything… I liked it and got a few good ideas especially on how to deal with very personal items and the downsizing that will sooner or later happen for my parents.

I’ve just had to deal with sorting through my mother’s personal effects & there was a LOT to sort. Not sure I can do full on minimalism but simplified & sorted is appealing.

(John) #326

Reading The Upward Spiral by Alex Korb.

(Paul H) #327

Stephen Hawking… A Brief History of Time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #328

I was just reminded in another thread of Gerald Durrell’s books, My Family and Other Animals, Birds, Beats, and Relatives, and Fauna and Family. Apparently my ex got them when we split up. Now I’ll have to go out and buy them all over again! His brother Laurence was also a memoirist, if I recall correctly.

(Central Florida Bob ) #329

Been re-reading “Why We Get Fat” by Gary Taubes, just because it’s on my iPhone when I’m out somewhere.

Also reading a hardback book for my hobby of making intricate little things out of metal:

Naturally (?) I refer to the book as MICE. When a question comes up, I always can say, “I need to see what MICE says”

Following on to the epic “Over The Edge” Grand Canyon book, I happened upon Medicine and Miracles in the High Desert: My Life Among the Navajo People by Erica M. Elliott MD with a forward by Joan Borysenko PhD - just published last February. And, again, I give this 10 Stars!!!

Wow. Just, wow… quite a retrospective. Many wonderful stories as she learns how to live with the land, and the land and its people teach her. Also she does not skirt the issues of indigenous cultural genocide and the plight of native women & girls who are at high risk of many things. This is no “new age” spiritual tourist - this is someone who decided to humbly serve and in turn got adopted by a Navajo/Dine family, and the people at large.

It starts back in the the 1970s when she took a teaching post on the Navajo Nation’s land - as an employee of the US govt. She proceeded to learn the complex Navajo language - and create a bicultural/esl learning program for the children, rather than the horribly lacking and culturally insensitive BIA curriculum. Every family in her class of 30 kids invited her to their homes. During the summer break, she took a gig as a sheepherder for an elderly couple, and upon being adopted into their family, was brought along to indigenous ceremonies that non-indigenous rarely if ever participate in or witness.

Then later, after becoming an MD, she went back to serve the Navajo Nation - as the sole physician in a severely underfunded (typical) understaffed US govt health clinic in New Mexico with minimal equipment - where she basically practiced survival emergency medicine and midwifery without any backup beyond EMTs and nurses.

Many other interesting twists and turns, which I’ll leave as a surprise for any readers.

She’s still practicing medicine, in her 70s now, with a holistic focus. Cool woman.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #331

I’m re-reading Randall Garrett’s Lord Darcy stories. Lots of fun. It’s the alternate history of a world in which (a) Richard II did not die, but lived to pass the throne to someone other than John Lackland, and (b) the laws of magic have been scientifically worked out. Lord Darcy is a sort of Chief Inspector who investigates crimes with the help of his forensic-sorcer associate.

David Weber has an interesting moment in one of his books, in which the heroine is depicted reading a novel about the “psychic detective” Garrett Randall, from a series of books by the popular author Darcy Lord. :grin:

(John) #332

I am just finishing up The Upward Spiral that I mentioned above, and starting in on The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman.

(charlie3) #333

Normally I’m listening to YT audio tracks on many subjects that interest me. I’ve discovered I can get audio books free with my library card. So I’m listening to “The Second World Wars” by Victor Davis Hanson, 23 hours of audio. Hanson is a very good story teller.

(Mary) #334

Richard I. Richard II was the baby king…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #335

Must be a typo in the book, then. Whichever Richard it was, he failed to die from the bowshot at the siege of Vaduz, so John Lackland did not inherit the throne, hence no Magna Carta, etc. Richard’s nephew Arthur inherits the throne from Richard, instead of John.

ETA: Vaduz is probably wrong, too, since Richard I died in France. Put it down to either my faulty memory, or another error in the stories. Randall was a prominent member of the SCA, however, so it’s more likely my error than his. I’m not at home right now to check the printed volume.

(linda) #336

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #337

(Empress of the Unexpected) #338

Oliver Sacks was a brilliant psychiatrist and writer. He inspired the movie “Awakenings.”

(Allie) #339

It takes me several weeks, if not months, to get right through a book as I don’t get much time for reading. This one I bought in March.

I need to do that too. I love reading, but don’t make enough time for it. I am currently reading The Fact of a Body, in e-book format, which I checked out from my local library. I’m not far in, but it’s gripping so far. I think I’ll read for a while after work tonight. I also have Akata Warrior checked out, which I haven’t started. I hope I’ll be able to finish both of them before they have to be checked back in.

(John) #341

I created two lines in my “habit tracker” in my journal. One line says “Bed @ 9pm” and the other says “Read”. I can kill two birds with one stone by getting in bed and then reading. :slight_smile:

Though for the past week and half, I have not been able to tick off either of those habits. :frowning:

Helps to have a good book. I knocked out four books pretty quickly with that method (and got some pretty good sleep, too). I need a new book, though. The last one in my reading queue isn’t ideally suited for bed reading.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #342

Try “Tomorrow’s Table.” An eye-opener on today’s food.