What book are you currently reading?

(Door Girl) #283

So many luscious good-fat sauces! I also have a new goal in regaining my health - to heal myself to the point where despite my history of gluten intolerance I can taste the recipes in this book in order to be sure they are seasoned right for family and guests. With a well composed meal, I hope that everyone will be able to pick and choose based upon their own dietary strategy.

Also excited about BBS. I can’t do full extension with my right arm due to an old injury, and this seems to be irrelevant in the BBS way of lifting. Totally digging the science lessons too!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #284

Light reading coming up this week:

(Doug) #285

Dena, Rollins is one interesting guy - I’ve liked the various bands and iterations of them he’s been in, and he gives interesting, even wild interviews. Actor, philosopher, not your average punk rocker, that guy.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #286

He really is. Very atypical in most aspects. I’ve read all his books and am re-reading Get In The Van again because I’m a big Black Flag fan (Rollins era). Also a big Rollins Band fan as well, End Of Silence is a fantastic album.

I used go to to bed listening to his spoken word tapes (long live the Walkman!!!) when I was like 12 years old. Biggest crush on him for so many years lol. He was also awesome along side Charlie Sheen in the movie The Chase.

Something I thought that was really cool about him was the fact that he’s only ever smoked weed ONE time in his life, and has been drunk a tick more, but barely. Being in Black Flag and that whole scene, where he’d bloody himself on stage, was done totally sober lol. Unlike someone like GG Allin who would literally shit himself on stage, but totally obliterated. I love atypical people.

Also love Greg Graffin, lead singer of Bad Religion. Has a PhD, philosopher, well spoken, great vocabulary, and comes out to play shows in Izod shirts and khakis. Business casual punk rocker–ATYPICAL.

But I’ll tell you what, I went to see Bad Religion on their last album tour, and even though dude wore an Izod shirt and khakis, there was a pit going the entire time, from the beginning of the set to the end. :metal:

I saw bad religion and Henry Rollins play at a place called Mississippi Nights in St. Louis way back in like 95-96 when I was technically too young to get in. It was awesome

(Little Miss Scare-All) #288

That musta been an awesome show. I would have been way too young to get in, about 12 or 13 in 95-96. <3<3<3

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #289

Other scientist-rockstars are Brian May (astronomy) and Brian Cox (physics). Fascinating guys!

Unreliable Memoirs by Clive James :grin: Have been reading it regularly since I was teen & it never fails to make me LOL

(Running from stupidity) #291

The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure" by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt.

About 20 percent into it. Very interesting so far.

(MooBoom) #292

How did I not know about this thread? Let’s get it off the ground again!

I love to read. When I’m reading a physical book lately it’s typically something by Gaiman or Pratchett (or both- ‘Good Omens’ anyone?). Gaiman’s recent novel ‘The Ocean at the end of the lane’ deeply affected me, not that it was meant to be that kind of book but nonetheless, it struck a chord.

Also bang up for George R.R. Martins ASOIF (although @juice will promptly disavow me now…) which I blame on a childhood love of Tolkien that gave me a high tolerance for twatwaffle. Also a fan of Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts, the Magician series and the Daughter/Mistress/Empress of the Empire series being my faves.

So physical books = I am a huge fantasy sci-fi nerd :nerd_face:

I also love audiobooks, but my tastes are totally different there. I cannot abide fiction in an audio format but non-fiction? Totally there for it.

Just finished Greg Lukianoff & Jonathan Haidt’s ‘The Coddling of the American Mind’ which had my jaw on the floor frequently, but ultimately left me with a lot of hope. Kind of a must read in my book (no pun intended).

Have just started Robert Sapolsky’s ‘Behave’ which my brother recommended to me as the single most important book he has ever read. High praise, and so far it’s living up to it!

So what’s everyone else reading?

Got that one in my ‘maybe someday’ pile :slightly_smiling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #294

Like quite a few threads (non-deleted ones) it died when the forum was pretty much unusable.

(Allie) #295

But it’s back now… and I’m about to start reading this :grinning:

(MooBoom) #296

Snap

(MooBoom) #297

I love this book!!!

Slays me every time :joy:

(MooBoom) #299

Well that looks interesting!

Can you keep us abreast of the eggsellent ideas you’re sure to come across?

(Allie) #300

Of course :joy::rooster:

(Jane Hull) #301

Loved this one too!

(Jane Hull) #302

Currently reading Democracy In Chains by Nancy MacLean.