What book are you currently reading?

Added to my ever growing list - thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #203

You deserve a massive reward for getting through that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #204

I think I deserve an award for not even trying, lol! :grin:

(Diane) #205

I swear, someday I’m gonna make it through Les Miserables! So far, I’ve started three times before I peter out.

(Running from stupidity) #206

Your reward is simply feeling smart enough to not bother with it :slight_smile:

(PSackmann) #207

I felt that way with The Sound and the Fury. I had to keep re-starting to finally make it.
I rewarded myself with some Fred Saberhagen

(PSackmann) #208

I was glad I did, even though I disliked the protagonists and the overall theme. I do relate to the underlying thought, what if Atlas had shrugged instead of supporting the world?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #209

Maybe it was a bit sophomoric at the time, but I read every single one of Ms. Rand’s novels. I enjoyed them all.

(Running from stupidity) #210

To be sure[1], I wasn’t even THINKING about hearse-chasing rib-smashing binge-keto-eating fascists when I wrote that comment, and I apologise for not being fully inclusive.

[1] A wee preemptive apology to the Irish.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #211

Ok - out of likes. Too funny. I really shouldn’t join this thread, because (show of hands?) who has really read ALL the Bronte sister novels? If I enjoy any author I am compelled to read everything he/she has written, whether minor, amateur, or otherwise. Probably my all-time favorite - Jack London. Mainly the essays.

No. It inevitably leads to disappointment. Unless @juice wrote it obvs.

(Diane) #213

I get that urge too. When I was a teenager, I read all of James Fenimore Cooper’s novels (which my college professor in American Literature said she would not make us read as they were too tiresome and wordy). I also read a ridiculous amount of Alexandre Dumas.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #214

My ex and I used to have book club nights, where we would read the same book and share thoughts. He is still my ex, but we still read the same books. I am currently working my way through Trollope’s “The Way We Are Now.” I thought I had read a lot of Trollope - I guess not. Thomas Hardy, on the other hand…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #215

I like…

(Running from stupidity) #216

This thread is reaching swan levels of excellence.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #217

No, it leads to an understanding of the author’s progress. I’ve enjoyed some of the minor novels more than the “classics.” But yeah, you’re right, EVERYTHING @Juice writes is definitely worth reading.

(PSackmann) #218

I enjoyed Anthem, and followed it up with It Can’t Happen Here (not Ayn Rand). I have yet to read the rest of her books

(Running from stupidity) #219

I should point out that this is not a universally-held opinion :slight_smile:

You know I have no patience for people who aren’t at their peak :face_with_monocle:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #221

Haven’t read it but like Sinclair Lewis.