What are your thoughts on yacon syrup?

(Donna Williams) #1

I have recently bought some yacon syrup. My thoughts were to mix a little with melted butter to pour over cream cheese pancakes. Has anyone tried it and tested yourself afterwards to see how it effects glucose or ketosis levels?

How to interpret blood glucose for newbies
(Jacquie) #2

I’ve never tried it but the only way you’ll know for sure is if you test it in isolation with your BG meter. Do you have BG or IR issues? I read mixed about it on line.

One tablespoon contains 11 gram carb, 7 grams sugar.

Not sure I would use it for a keto 20 gram net carb limit.

(Donna Williams) #4

I just got my blood glucose in the normal range from pre-diabetic levels. I don’t test my blood except in a doctors office. I’ve read that it doesn’t effect glucose much in small amounts but I was hoping for some input from someone who’d tried it. Lol

(Jacquie) #5

I find that the generalizations about sweeteners can throw one off. I’ve been pre-diabetic and I wouldn’t use it. For example, some folks can’t use liquid stevia, which shouldn’t raise BG according to most of the information out there, but they’re allergic to ragweed (the stevia plant is in the ragweed family) and it will spike their BG.

(Richard Morris) #6

I’d be be keen to try it. And then test my blood glucose to see what effect it had.

I have tried that experiment with Jerusalem artichokes which contains the starch inulin which is a fructooligosaccharide. We don’t have the enzymes to crack open the sugars … but bacteria in our gut do…

You mean the starch “inulin”…which passes small intestines and gets broken down in large intestine?

(Steak and iron) #8

Richard’s autocorrect has gone off the rails.

(Rj Yoyo) #9

I’m a type 1 diabetic and I’ve been using yacon with no problems. I correct for it like any other carb when I take insulin, but that does the trick for me. And it tastes like honey :grinning:

(Rj Yoyo) #10

Also my ketones levels haven’t fluctuated more than normal since I started using it. Between .8 and 2.5 mmol/l depending on the time of day, with our without the yacon, so it’s on my ‘ok’ list now.

(Rj Yoyo) #11

And one more point before I forget, but one of the earlier episodes of ‘ask the low carb experts’ had a doc that talked about sweeteners, and this was one of his recommendations. I already use stevia and lo han(mini fruit), but I hadn’t heard of yacon until Jimmy’s show. I’ll post the episode when I find it in an edit.

I’ve decided to just get far from sugar taste. I very occasionally sweeten with stevia but rarely. It’s been 5 months now and don’t miss much. When occasionally I have fruit they are immediately super sweet yummy

(Sarah Reeves) #13

Never heard of it. I use ChocZero honest maple syrup. They use erythritol. It tastes just like syrup