What am I doing wrong?

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

You have done somethings that will make cortisol a factor, trust me stress can put weight on anyone following any plan.Big move, new active job,& more active freetime, it is fun but stressful.

I was going to suggest you eat more calories due to your activity level. Also you might want to focus on getting just 20 grams of carb, moderate protein, and fat to satiety, instead of some calorie number.

Good luck on your Journey.

(Bethany Jenkinson) #22

I have not taken measurements, but my pants are tighter and I seem very bloated. I do know that dairy and I don’t get along, though cheese is my favorite food after potatoes!

Very new here, been doing keto for 4 weeks this Sunday.
Female, 169cm and 96 kgs to start (still female, thank god…:wink: )

I’m taking a kind of mixed approach, and I would be keen to hear if I am setting myself up to fail, from people who are more experienced.

I started following the diet doctor 2 week challenge in the first week to the letter- once I had a feel for the ratios of the protein to fat, I went on my own way (I used to be a chef and the recipes were killing me, so went freestyle), used MFP when I was worried I may have calculated wrong. I frequently check when I am cooking to see if I am not mistaking a higher carb food for low carb (easy to do with vegetables). I also do the occasional IF (16:8), as I as doing this a bit before anyway (only after week 3).

I am using these basic rules- eat when hungry- only eat until satisfied.
No snacking*
Whole food- nothing processed
Drink plenty of water (I also drink a lot of plain tea).
When in doubt eat more fat (butter, coconut oil, EEO, bacon fat).
Eggs are my friend.

*on IF days I may have a lunch, then an afternoon snack, then dinner- two normal and one smaller meal.

Strips said I was in ketosis in 3 days- all good. Lost 4 kgs in water weight in week one- all good.
But I have only lost another 2kgs- so all up 6kgs. I know that’s not ‘bad’, but I have been really strict, and the scales the last two weeks have been completely still. I only weigh myself once a week. Worse, my husband is doing this too and the kgs are falling off him. Agh!

SO…have I hit the ‘Atkins PISS’…or is going freestyle a bit of a risk…or am I just impatient? I have 30 kgs to lose, and I really need to get this sorted.

I can say, on the positive side of things- I am almost never hungry, I can do the 16 hr fast no sweat. I notice my asthma symptoms are reduced a LOT, and I barely had keto flu.
Also, I have some fantastic dinners (a past as a chef certainly comes in handy!).
So not all doom and gloom.

Any and all advice, apart from the most important which is KCKO, and I’d be very grateful.
Thanks for reading!

(Lisa F) #24

@Swiftynix It sounds like you are doing all the right things! So first I’d counsel patience. Second…step away from the scale! Use the pants o meter rather than weight…are clothes getting looser? You’re body may also be holding onto water at the moment so you may see a whoosh if you hold on a bit longer!

It is still early days so you are likely still getting fat adapted plus it sounds like weight is still coming off - just slower which is totally normal - so you are rocking this!!! Also keep in mind that weight loss is definitely not linear…more like two steps forward, one step back…especially for women!

Thanks so much, that really is encouraging! I think you are right, I am just going to have to be patient. I have given myself 12 months to lose this weight, so this is really just the beginning…that means just over half a kilo a week. I am already 20% there, If I think about it (Math is wonderful…)!

I particularly ike your ‘two steps forward, one back’ advice- I’ll hold onto that, as I think that will really help me stay the course. Thank you so much!
Oh, and my clothes- before I started this (and kind of why I started this) was my fat clothes were starting to become too tight to wear to work, and I refused to buy anything in a larger size than this, so something had to change. They are all fitting just fine now. Next step is to wear the clothes I haven’t been able to wear for about six months, then I know I’ll have made progress.

Thanks again, very supportive :):grinning: