What alcohol is best?

(Tom Lipe) #1

I love beer and I know Miller Lite has only 3.2 carbs per 12 oz glass but is vodka a better choice?

(John) #2

(Lazy, Dirty Keto šŸ˜) #3

Yes. Vodka (unflavored) has zero carbs. I get vodka and club soda typically (not tonic water, which has carbs)

(Tom Lipe) #4

Thank you. I am always confused as to which is better as a mixerā€¦club or tonic.

Club soda it is!

(Scott) #5

This reminds me of when my wife and I started keto last July. She texted me ā€œguess what, Scotch and Vodka have zero carbs!ā€

Little known fact. In my experience, all alcohol (tequila, vodka, etc.) has what scientists are terming ā€œDelayed Carbohydrates.ā€

Delayed as inā€¦I can drink all the zero-carb alcohol I can handleā€¦but itā€™s the pizza, chips, wings, and fries that come afterwards thatā€™s my downfall! :rofl:

(Scott) #7

I am not sure how much alcohol effects my over all LC/HF diet but I am fairly sure it is what is keeping me out of full maintained ketosis. If I get my running back on a daily 4 miles or more I will be in ketosis most of the day. The problem is I am used to having my cocktail at 5:30 every day. My typical day is two glasses of scotch before dinner, Half a bottle of wine with dinner and a beer after that. I had to change from a craft beer to a light to shed some carbs. I am thinking about taking a break from drinking but that is easier said at eight in the morning than actually doing it at 5:30 PM. I am thinking about doing some IF and this has become an obstacle.

Where do I sign up for a typical day like that? Minus the running of course.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

In all likelihood, zero alcohol is the best choice.

Clear spirits are zero carb. I donā€™t care for them, so they are not the best alcohol for me.

I do not lie to myself and suggest that a glass of red wine a week is a health choice, but it works well for me. Dry wines are very low carb, and to me, more palatable than spirits.

(John) #10

Thereā€™s this site - I have never bought from them, but if you are looking for low carb wines, thatā€™s their claim:

(Scott) #11

I am a red wine drinker and heard something about Malbec being on the lower end of the carb but havenā€™t had a chance to research it.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #12

I find Iā€™m not great at quantity control with wine, so I donā€™t have it very often. But a shot of gin in soda water with lemon is satisfying. Iā€™m trying to figure out what I want for colder weatherā€¦ scotch is nice, but I donā€™t like it diluted in the soda water so Iā€™m not getting the volume. Iā€™ve done a shot with a splash of water and soda and lemon on the side. As it is getting cooler maybe Iā€™ll replace the soda on the side with some tea.

(Alex) #13

always go with soda, itā€™s just carbonated water. most tonic has more sugar than a pepsi

Yā€™all know there is such a thing as diet tonic water, right?

(Scott) #15

Scotch, my father in law always said ā€œthey put water in when they make itā€

(Christopher Hodge) #16

Chiming in to say bourbon is a great alternative to beer. We Kentuckians drink quite a bit of it as opposed to Scotch.

(Alex) #17

yup, not at most bars, though!

Iā€™ll tell you what DOESNā€™T work: those new high alcohol, low calorie apple ciders that are popping up all over the place. Despite having calorie/alcohol ratios similar to wine (both deliver about 1 unit of alcohol per 100k although wine is more concentrated by volume), the ciders throw me off. Theoretically, they should have close to the same fructose content.

Too bad because they make a good holiday drink otherwise. Dry wine is okay and so is vodka if itā€™s very, very diluted with soda water - not tonic water.

Dry Farm Wines charges $25 for a bottle (must be bought in a 6 pack)

Most dry red and white wines are, in fact, very low carb. Carb counts for wine are not based on what is FOUND in wine (because they cant find any at all, in most) but rather on what they DONT FIND, or carbohydrates by difference.

"How is Carbohydrate, by difference determined?

Carbohydrate is determined as the difference between 100 and the sum of the percentages of water, protein, total lipid (fat), ash, and, when present, alcohol. Total carbohydrate values include total dietary fiber.

Total carbohydrate by difference = 100 - [water, protein, total lipid, ash and alcohol in g/100g]"

The only other carb I have been able to find in wine is Glycerol, a sugar alcohol, like erythritol. Glycerol (due to yeast metabolism/added for mouth feel) can contribute 5-28 g/L per bottle. It is a carbohydrate with a glycemic index of 3-5.

I have found that finding the residual sugar in a wine (google) and staying below 3g/L (most of the time it is less than 1g/L)has worked well for me. I have had bottles of wine with no apparent effect on my blood sugar. MOST of the time higher alcohol content wines will have less residual sugar (most has been converted to alcohol during fermentation). It will slow down your fat metabolism, but it wont send you into a carb tailspin. If you are diabetic, this does not apply due to carbohydrate equivalents. http://www.wineguy.co.nz/index.php/81-all-about-wine/158-carbohydrates-in-wine

If you ask at your local liquor store they can direct you to organic wines (if that matters to you). Google residual sugar and keep that number low. Save yourself some money in the process.

(Kate ) #20

YES- Southern Indiana, here. Work in Louisville, and bourbon is my go to.