What about Bread?

(barn) #1

First go at winning the internets!

Getting my kids to give up bread, and bread related products has been one of our biggest challenges. I’ve identified 3 main area’s where a bread substitute is needed:

1. Toast/Toasties. Can you say Vegemite toast? Heck yes! What about cheese toasties? Cheese between 2 slices, heavily buttered and pan fried until the cheese has melted. Delish!

2. Bun’s. @Sarah_Barnbrook makes some excellent hamburger’s, but the kid’s are getting over eating them without a bun. Also, bacon and egg sandwiches are also frequently requested!

3. Stuffing. We haven’t had this in a while, but to have it with almost every roast. Hard to explain if you don’t know it, so i’ll link a carby recipe. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/-simple-is-best-dressing-51124210

Let’s get cooking!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

3 is easily solved IF you can procure decent pork rinds down under.

I made stuffing using all the other normal ingredients (celery/onion sautéed in butter, sage, chicken broth) and broken up pork rind bits, then baked.

NO ONE KNEW THE DIFFERENCE!

(Michelle) #3

Oooh, I will have to try this. I LOVE stuffing, but pork rinds sound like a great substitute.

(Richard Morris) #4

I reckon Grill’d do a really good low carb bun

It’s made of Eggs, Almond meal and Coconut cream.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #5

Hey @Barn,
Years ago when first starting keto, a friend of mine and I had recently discovered the fathead recipe (it was new back then, crazy huh?).
He ( @Dean ) wanted to make sandwiches, so he rolled out and baked fathead dough, then cut it into bread sized pieces.
It’s fabulous. I’ll go find a photo.

(Dustin Cade) #6

I make a good sub for bread, modified fathead dough

I use 2 to 1 pecan meal and Almond flour… mozz cheese, an egg, I leave out the cream cheese…

go through the normal fat head process… i cut the dough into 8 equal pieces, flatten them out into rounds, i then take butter, garlic, egg mixed and brush the top of the buns, they come out with a nice crust, use two of them for hamburgers, sandwiches, they are extremely filling and delicious, if you do not like garlic you can leave that out and just use the butter and egg for brushing the tops!
bake till they are a nice golden brown…

(jketoscribe) #7

Soul Bread is great for grilled cheese. http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/

Both are off my plate because I’m not doing well with dairy, but it sure is good!!!

(Brad) #8

For # 2

(Brad) #9

For #3 (or maybe even #2) use this in place of the bread for the stuffing

So between pancakes, waffles and now stuffing, I may as well just pick up a case of pork rinds! :pig2::pig2::pig2: so many recipes to try. I miss stuffing, so I’m looking forward to trying this!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

Yup. Back in facebookland, I was known as the pork rind queen…

I am so interested in trying this. Would you say that it is like a cornbread stuffing, or more like a bread stuffing? Not that I’ve ever eaten a bread based stuffing, but I imagine they’d be different. Also, how small do you break up the pork rinds?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

@Chellb
It’s like moist bread stuffing. I break it up into 1/4 inch pieces, the size of commercially sold bread cubes.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

Wait. How? Smash 'em with your fist. Lol

Thanks for the replies. So, I guess I should save this recipe for when I’m wanting to get rid of some aggression. :wink:

Hello there,

I’m looking for a substitute for bread but I don’t have expectation of it tasting like bread :slight_smile: but it can be used like bread ( especially for toast / sandwich ) , I don’t care if it tastes as terrible as plastic or avocado :stuck_out_tongue: My primary interest is it being fat rich so can consume without much/not at all thinking.

(Randy) #17

I made this. It didn’t rise as much as it did in the video, but I mixed an kneaded by hand. (No mixer). Closest to real bread by far of the things I’ve tried.

Warning: Contains Vital Wheat Gluten.

Turns out after a couple of days, I had a return of immflamation and pain that has gone away since going keto.

If you have no issues with gluten, it may be worth a shot. 2 videos. Bread machine and mixer versions.

(Jason) #18

I make my own bread works pretty well tastes very different but it’s pretty good considering…

(Lisa Dolan) #19

I am 4 weeks in and have tried a million different recipes that call for half a dozen eggs. I’m just looking for anything that I can use as :bread: or buns that don’t taste like quiche or spongy :egg:

(Jennifer) #20

Make fathead rolls or bagels. I find they taste like as asiago bagel from Panera. They toast up nice too…