Weight Setpoint

(Ethan) #1

I’ve noticed that my weight loss curve on a ketogenic diet without caloric restriction is very different than my past weight loss curves with a caloric-restricted diet (ketogenic or not). In previous caloric-restricted diets, I lost massive amounts of weight very quickly–well over 10 pounds a month–sustained for months. However, I know a lot of the weight was lean mass, as I would always notice a significant drop off strength. I would have to keep decreasing how much I can lift in weight-lifting sessions. I would find myself skinny and lean after losing weight and seek to gain back the lost muscle.

However, this is the first time I am dieting without caloric restriction, but with a fasting/feasting schedule. I find that I lose almost NO WEIGHT at all when feasting. I lose all my weight (still significant, but not as much as before) during the fasting cycles. However, I am actually GAINING strength in weight lifting. I had to adjust my weight-loss goals because of this phenomenon. I posit form my n=1 analysis that my body has a weight setpoint that a ketogenic diet maintains; each time I fast, I lower my weight, and the diet keeps that new setpoint. My revised goals show a much slower weight-loss curve, but without a need to gain back any muscle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I imagine that part of the reason you’re not losing weight while feasting is that your body is building up its lean muscle mass. You are probably still losing fat at the same time, but the muscle gain is compensating for the fat loss, and therefore the scale is not moving. When you fast, you are not adding muscle, but you are continuing to lose fat, which is why the scale moves then.

(Ethan) #3

That would make some sense. I really should get a DEXA scan to get an idea of where I am

(Jason Thomas) #4

I like to go no carb on my feasts and it seems to me with no measurements that each time I get leaner and build more muscle. I don’t have any actual measurements for you. I know how you like empirical data👍

(Ethan) #5

I’d like to go no carb on feasts, but there is always some limitation. That’s why I fast twice a month. Some accidental sugar can be easily cleared when a fast is near!