Weight maintenance

(David Cooke) #1

Many using this forum seem to be looking for weight loss. I started keto because I had high BP and unfortunate blood results. All solved now, BMI down from 25.1 to 22.5 which both I and the wife consider skinny. Running a few miles a day.
I don’t wish to lose further weight. Generally I have reached 150% of my aimed for protein level after breakfast and lunch, at which point I am 4-500 kcal under what I probably need to maintain weight. And of course I don’t feel hungry…
If I lose even more weight tomorrow I shall abandon ship unless I can work this out, please advise. I realize that I am probably asking the wrong question…

It’s not the wrong question. There are plenty of members who are here for reasons other than weightloss.

A BMI of 22.5 puts you slap bang in the middle of the healthy range - nothing to be concerned with really. If you’re eating high protein & finding you’ve lost your appetite then perhaps try less protein (maintain a sufficient amount for health obviously) & increase your fat calories.

(Carl Keller) #3

If you believe in the set point theory, you will put faith in the idea that your body will become comfortable at a certain % of body fat and adjust your hunger hormones to put a halt to the weight loss. The key is to eat to when hungry and to eat to satiety.

I hit maintenance about eight weeks ago and I’ve just been trying to eat intuitively. I still limit carbs and I’m eating more protein and fat and I’ve lost about 3-4 pounds since doing this. I’m not in any danger of being skinny any time soon and I still feel great.

(Frank) #4

You may have to let go of what you and your wife consider “skinny”. Your body is smarter than any BMI graph or perception of what you feel is the right weight. I would just continue to listen to what your body is saying. When homeostasis is closer you “will” get hungrier and will require more to remain satiated.

(shawn) #5

I’m not quite there yet, but a few things come to mind. Maybe try adding fat, since you’re at maintenance. It’s easier to add than protein if you’re not hungry. Too many people drink too much fatty coffee and can’t lose weight. This may be where it may be helpful. And instead of running every day, maybe run 3 days, strength train 3 days and an active recovery day (something you enjoy, like hiking, paddle boarding, etc.)
Also, your BMI is in the healthy range. So many people are overweight or obese, that healthy now looks skinny.
Congratulations on achieving a healthy BP.

(mole person) #6

The same for me. But the losses are now crawling so I doubt I lose much more. I am actually eating more and more and still losing though, which is really interesting. I too am trusting that my body is sorting out it’s keto set point. So far at least, I’ve not gotten too thin. I’m also adding weight lifting again and that should start some nice gains.

(Carl Keller) #7

Agreed. I say I am in maintenance but if my body wants to drop a few more pounds, I won’t argue.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

You don’t have to make a here with keto or abandon ship, if you feel that you’re at maintenance level now congratulations. Has keto made you feel better besides fixing your health issues? Myself I have a bit more to go but congratulations David.

Now is the fun part it would seem to me. You’re at a stage where you could increase your carb levels a bit, especially before a run so you won’t burn fat while you run. Make them wise choice carbs as much as you can. You can still stay in ketosis but find a balance to keep you where you’re comfortable. An envious position my friend, well done. :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::cowboy_hat_face:

(Jill F.) #9

I am hoping when I get to my goal weight to add more fat and add some carbs in like yogurt, nuts, fruit, etc. Maybe add in more snacks than what you would eat when losing weight.

(Mel Simpson) #10

Increase carbs and fat.
Berries…maybe even some other lower carb fruit and all that good fat
Nuts oils whipping cream etc

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Up your fats, try adding more oil to your salad dressings. Eat more nuts. That kind of thing.
Back off the protein if you feel you’re consuming too much of that and have some more fats that you enjoy.

If you do “abandon ship”. Don’t do a face dive into high carb goodies and starchy carbs. If you do stop eating keto, add them in slowly. More Cashews instead of macadamia nuts for a week, see how the weight goes. If still losing add in some lower fructose fruits you haven’t been eating, see how you go with that. Just do it slowly adding in stuff and seeing how your body reacts. Remember when you stop eating right those blood numbers can go wrong again and the BP can rise up again.

If you stick to it maybe follow the maintenace folks here:

Good luck sorting yourself out.

(Cary) #12

I hit my goal about 6-8 weeks ago, actually a little lower than my goal and have been maintaining since. I’ve actually given myself a little more leeway in why I’m eating every now and then but still 95% of the time full Keto. Will never get away from Keto lifestyle but I do allow myself a little treat once in a while. Every time I thought I might’ve eaten something that would screw me up, I get on scale the next morning and it’s the within a pound of my weight for the last 8 weeks. I literally have tried to eat more calories to gain a little but have put on nothing yet… but I’m not complaining. Didn’t think I would ever say I’m having a hard time gaining weight lol.

(David Cooke) #13

Thanks guys, plenty of good advice here, which I will attempt to follow. I won’t be cutting back on my running though, I find this a near perfect way of feeling how I am doing generally.
Eating pumpkin seeds right now, drinking coffee with 1 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp coconut oil added,
I still can’t see how I can up my fats much more and reduce protein at the same time.
This morning: bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomato, above mentioned coffee:
53 gm protein, goal 86 gm (at 71 Kg)
fat 100, goal 180.
So leaving aside the calories problem, I am struggling to see how to get there.

Nuts & cheese are notorious for stalling people’s weightloss. They’re excellent sources of both fat & protein & are usually easy for people to ‘overeat’.

(JJ) #15

My first ever post on the forum and nothing to add in terms of wisdom, but just wanted to say I am so impressed with the quality of the responses. Congrats on your awesome success David!

I too am past where I had aimed to be in terms of weight loss- which is why this thread was the very first I have read- and still am losing. I think though that from reading this, that what I consider ‘skinny’ for me is just ‘skinny’ in comparison to the overweight norm we see around us and it is okay that I am still losing weight. After reading this thread, I have confidence that my body will find it’s way and settle on a healthy point for it.

(David Cooke) #16

Hi and welcome!
I am still at the same weight as when I first wrote, stabilised at around 69 Kg, + or - a. Kilo or two. So that’s something learned! Despite advice on this forum, I have started to watch my calorie intake and find it near impossible to reach a modest 2550 Kcal per day in two meals, let alone one meal as some people advise. I also hesitate to do a 24 hour fast again but may well try, to see how it goes. I don’t think that older people should take risks as regards muscle loss. So am being cautious.
Here in this part of Thailand many people consider a certain plumpness attractive and so maybe it is their remarks (very frank society) that I look ill that has influenced me.
My CAC scan and blood metrics next month will likely be the decider for me as to whether I continue at 30 gm daily or change that number up or down. Fortunately at age 71 I (no longer thanks to keto) take any meds and the obvious metrics, glucose, blood pressure etc, are looking very nice, so I still have a certain liberty of decision.
Good luck and remember that many people have been along the same path…

(JJ) #17

Thank you for replying to my post. My first use of the forum has been very positive.

Yes, I can see how you would struggle to eat 2550Kcal in one or two meals. That is a whole world of food to get through! I suppose this whole keto life is about learning what is right for our bodies and changing things up as we go to meet our needs. It is encouraging that others like yourself are trying to navigate their way through just as much as I am.

Congrats on not requiring any medication at all since being keto, amazing. Wishing you the very best for your next set of bloods.