Weight Maintenance- Introduce yourself!

weightmaintenance

(Karen Parrott) #21

Arlene, thank you so much!!

Funny story, I picked up the Refuse to Regain book at the library, 70+ pounds overweight and skimmed it. There was no way I could take in the info, but I knew that there were successful folks out there and resources.

Once I got closer to maintenance, I got the book back from the library, started focusing on LC, Paleo, then LCHF, then Keto, then IF/ Time Restricted eating. It was like a progressive learning.

One idea that kept me going was “There are other long term maintainers, and I WILL be one of them” Here’s to this being the last YO in the YO_YO. Cheering for you and thanks for the kind words. I think the binge urge management that Keto brings is the real gold star of weight maintenance.

My weight wants to come back, but I wont let it. :smile:

(Kitty) #22

Does keto work to treat his ADHD without medication? I still have to take medication but I’m only 2 weeks keto right now. My goal is to get off all meds.

(Darlene Horsley) #23

He’s been off meds since graduating high school when he just refused to take it anymore. He’s always been a high protein guy but accidently discovered he did better with fattier meat and sticks to that and high fiber vegetables. Stick with Keto, neurotransmitters need the high fat. :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Ashlee, I am just trying to maintain. But the challenges are similar when it comes to maintaining, I have been at goal weight several times over the past few decades, but I had to find something that would stick permanently, and I feel keto is going to do that for me. I am lazy now, I do hit up to 50 g carbs somedays. But over all I am healthier and happier with this WOE.

Welcome to the group, glad to see another person who is maintaining.

(Ben) #25

Hi I’m Ben
I started my keto journey in March 2016.
I was a typical middle-aged bloke who had slowly put on weight each year since my thirties to the point I was obese. I’m 58, 5’11" and was 230 at my heaviest.
I lost 45 lbs by October 2016 at which point my body decided that was enough and I’ve stayed there ever since.

I’m always amused when I’m asked “you’re not still doing that low carb thing are you?”

My answer is: I’m lighter, fitter and feeling twenty years younger. My arthritis and eczema has gone, I’ve stopped snoring and handed my sleep apnoea CPAP machine back to the sleep clinic, and my eyesight has improved so I no longer need my reading glasses either. Why the hell would I want to go back to eating unhealthily?

(Eitviltas Janišius) #26

Hey, my vision has also improved! Are there more people with vision improvements?

Tentatively posting here because I am close. In an ideal world I would want to lose more fat and gain more muscle, so working on body recomposition now.
Started Keto/fasting in September 2017 at 5’7 and 172 lbs, size 12. I am now at 145-147 lbs, size 4. My lowest weight since starting was 139, but then I gained about 8 lbs by going to the gym (with no increase in size).

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

I am a shorter than you and in maintenance, weighing just a tad bit under your weight. So I think you are ready for maintaining.

Recomp is a great goal and that is why I still do a lot of fasting protocols. If my weight drifts further downward as a result of that, I’m fine with it. LOL.

My experience is losing is pretty easy, it is maintaining that is the hard work. But worth every minute of it.

Hi I am Debbie

I am doing keto to reverse pre-diabetes (6.0 to 5.4 last time I checked) and am maintaining my weight---- and am finding to do that I need to track my carbs better. Right now I weigh daily and am starting to track on My fitness pal. I am 5ft 6 and weigh 131 lbs.

Are there good resources (books/podcasts/websites) out there for those of us who are maintaining?

Ketogenic girl on instagram has nice meal ideas.

Lets share our successes here!

(KCKO, KCFO) #30

Welcome Debbie, Well done on getting the BS down. This thread has some good ideas.

(Ben) #31

It’s two years tomorrow that I started keto. Tracked everything religiously, and lost all the weight I wanted (45lbs) in seven months.
Some time later I stopped tracking. Lapsed a bit too. Not in what I ate at home, but when out, at friends etc. Also reintroduced beer.
A year later and I’d put a few pounds back on. Nothing to be concerned about, and nothing that a few weeks of back to basics and tracking again couldn’t sort out.
I have to say that while tracking can be a bit of a chore, I’ve definitely felt better for keeping an eye on things.

(KCKO, KCFO) #32

Congrats on losing. I’m starting to think I need to track again as well. I am staying in the range I want to be in, but I do a lot of fasting to stay there.

I like my wine personally, so I make sprtizers with La Croix water added to the wine. I have gone from nightly glass to now and then glasses of wine. Beer is very carby, even the lighter ones. I can see how that would add up quickly. I have to remind myself that my body will go for the alcohol before the fat when I do have a drink.

(Jeannie Oliver) #33

Ditto.

(Bryce G Stuart) #34

Continuing the discussion from Weight Maintenance- Introduce yourself!:

Hi guys, my name’s Bryce and I’m 2 months into Keto. I dropped the 5kgs I needed to pretty quickly to hit my goal weight but am really wanting to get my bf down to under 15% at least as an initial goal.

I’m 54 yrs old and over the past 2 years have managed to lose 30 kgs and get my body fat down to 18.5% from 25% I currently weigh 77.2 kgs but have only been keto since Feb this year.

My challenge is shifting the body fat which is the last kg or so that sits around my middle. I lift weights 3 to 5 times a week and run 4klms 2 to 3 times a week. I average around 13000 steps a day and burn around 3200 calories a day with a calorie intake of between 1800 and 2000. My protein macro is between 20 to 25%, carbs at 3% with fat making up the balance.

I’m just waiting on the arrival of a glucometer to check my blood ketones as I find Ketostix vary wildly.

I have also in the past week commenced IF. I fast from dinner around 7.30pm until 1.30 pm next day, I train and run in the fasted state.

I’m finding though that my body fat isn’t really moving in the right direction. According to my Fitbit scales I fluctuate from burning fat to burning muscle with my bf readings up and down. I want to add lean muscle and shift this fat. I do realise also that my bf readings from the scales aren’t totally accurate but I weigh myself at the same time each day. There is about a 2%variance in my scale number compared to my latest scan which did produce a more favorable bf number.

I’m looking forward to being a part of the forum and would welcome any tips or advice from the group.

Cheers

(Karen Parrott) #35

Hi @BryceS!!! Congrats on your progress. I’ve found super great results by IF 16:8 daily for most days. I found that even 12:12 and I could easily start to regain, most of it subcutaneous fat- think tire around my mid section, squishy, clothes not feeling good. Less of the visceral belly solid fat (although there was some of that, too)

I found from 2012 to 2014 I could do higher food fat macros- like 70% fat, then in late 2014 to mid 2016, that produced about an 8-10 pound subq fat gain on the scale (maybe 4% body fat on my home scale).

Once I switched my macros ever so slightly to even total fat grams and protein grams (think Ketogains and & Ted Naiman) AND did the 18:6 fasting- BOOM! I dropped to my lowest adult weight and leanest body composition.

I’ve fallen into 18:6 for 4-5 days a week and am now am inbetween my “best” lean body comp and the fluffy side of weight maintenance.

So I’m going back to 16:8 daily fasting because whoooo, hoooo- I like feeling this good in my early 50’s. LOL. Welcome and have fun with your glucose meter.

(Karen Parrott) #36

Tracking for me is key, without the proper satiety signals.

Love sparkling water. Life saver at night and to mix my Natural Calm magnesium.

(Karen Parrott) #37

@BantingBen congrats and I hope you are doing well. :slight_smile:

(Karen Parrott) #38

Hi Debbie!!!

Congrats on getting the pre-diabtes reversed. I applied a Paleo/LCHF/Keto food template to Refuse to Regain’s (a book by Barbara Berkeley, MD).

Those “rules” are tried and true with her clients since the late 1980’s, but I need to be LCHF/Keto/Fasting to keep pre-diabetes away myself.

Best wishes

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

Thanks for mentioning this again. I just got a copy for my Kindle.

I do think maintaining is a whole different experience than losing. I hope to gain some good tips from the book. It sure seems to have worked for you Karen.

(Karen Parrott) #40

Hi Mamash!!! Hope things are going well for you. I’d take an 8 pound lean mass gain any time!!! Take care and congrats