Weight loss stalling

(Mindi ) #1

Hi,

I just signed up and am a newbie to the Keto lifestyle. I started on March 17, 2018 so am 7 weeks in. I weighed 196 when I began (5’6” tall) and lost 19 lbs. by April 25th. I was thrilled. However, since 4/25, I haven’t lost anything and actually am now 177 instead of the 175 I was for one day lol. I’m trying to do 1,250 calories a day (as an app told me that was what is good for my size and goal) and trying to get down to 135-140 lbs., however, even though I weighed below that when I was much younger, I’m not sure in my late 50’s that’s even doable. I am watching my macros on MyFitnessPal app and plugged in my goals, weight etc. and was told 20g of carbs, 90g protein, and 90g fat a day and I should eat 1250 kcal. Does this sound right? Is this 10 day weight stall normal? Should I be doing something different? I always seem to get to the mid to high 170’s and stall no matter what the diet so that’s why I’m concerned.

(Ron) #2

You should not be restricting weight now. Reset you desired macro’s to maintenance level and get your calorie consumption up. You are creating a lower metabolism level and creating a harder path to loosing weight.

Watch this video-
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/02/dont-be-a-ketard3.html

(Chris W) #3

I agree with Ron, you are more like the 1800 calorie range depending upon activety.

(Ron) #4

You might find this thread interesting also.

(Mindi ) #5

Ok so I’m continuing to read that article you sent. As far as the urine sticks go, I’ve never been out of ketosis and pretty much eat the same thing every day as I’m a routine eater. If I understand you correctly, I should be eating more calories in total?

(Mindi ) #6

And I should mention, not doing any exercise yet.

(Chris W) #7

I would say that at your point if you are not a T2D or IR person you are nearing fat adaption. If you restrict calories long term although you will loose weight your body will start to hold on to it expecting a crisis. I would go to your maintain levels for a time see what happens. Are you IF or window eating at all yet.

(Ron) #8

keep reading.

(Mindi ) #9

Sorry not sure what those three initials mean. Please explain.

(Chris W) #10

OH I am sorry I forget sometimes, my apologies and welcome!
T2D type 2 diabetic
IR insulin ressitance
IF interment fasting
EF extended fasting
Window eating is a type of IF were you only eat certain hours of the day.

(Ron) #11

Yes. As what Chris said.

oh…meant to answer Mindi’s post. sorry Chris.

(Mindi ) #12

Each day my food goes like this to if this helps:

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried and two strips of no carb bacon, Starbucks unsweetened iced coffee with heavy cream.

Lunch: be cup baby spinach, one tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, one fried chicken breast (4 oz. weighed), 10 mini tomatoes

Dinner: Ribeye steak with bone 6 oz.

Snack: 2 string cheeses

(Mindi ) #13

Ok not diabetic. My sugar levels are the only thing good lol. Owever I have very high 500 range cholesterol and high (very) triglycerides.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Ten days is not a weight stall, it’s just a blip on the graph. Keto weight changes are not linear, and if you look at the graphs of people who have tracked their weight, you will see lots of zigging and zagging. I suggest ignoring your scale and concentrate on the other benefits of a keto way of eating. I would also ignore the macro calculator and just keep carbs low, protein moderate, and eat fat to satiety.

As you read about the science behind this way of eating and how the body responds to it, you will begin to understand why these are the essential recommendations for eating a well-formulated ketogenic diet.

(Chris W) #15

Nice form mam!
So what you could do is increase a little each day, you should not be hungry most of the time outside of you normal eating times. The ideal way to keep going on fat adaption phase is to go to IF or window eating were you are down to 2 meals a day. Some people do OMAD (one meal a day). You have to do what is right for you, another thing we say here alot is keep changing your body does get used to the way you do things and trys to go were it wants to not were you want it to go.

(Chris W) #16

I will tell you right now that you should ignore panels for the next few months, how long ago were those taken?

(Mindi ) #17

Ok yes trying to read as much as I can on it. I do know people say and talk about stalling. I’m not actually freaking out over weight not moving for ten days as much as I guess I’m more concerned with being afraid I’m doing it wrong. I should have said too I don’t think I’m fasting but I do eat at regimented times. Lunch is around 3:00 and dinner is at 6:30. My string cheese is around 9.

(Mindi ) #18

My blood work was done for my yearly check up in February. I’ve always been high. They are always alarmed. I was on statins for 30 years till I refused and went off. I felt horrible on them. But my cholesterol was once over 600. My cardiologist just did a stress test and carotid test and they came back great. So he’s very excited that I’m doing Keto and said his patients do great on it. Said not to do blood work until at least 4-5 months.

(Chris W) #19

You don’t need to fast, for me it came naturally right before I fat adapted, I don’t eat breakfast normally. I eat at noon ish, and then eat again around 5-7 at work. (well I did I just changed shifts)

The really only rule we have is keep carbs under 20g a day net(some people do total) and watch your electrolytes. Everything else is just recommendation to make things go better.

As for the panels, are you aware that your trigs are now your source of energy, and LDL in particular of all them is pretty much useless. I went from high to ok inside of 4 weeks on the diet, I think you will find a lot of evidence to ignore LDL. I would agree on the 4-5 month thing as well. The only test currently I would do is a calcium score, that is an excellent way to determine if anything bad is happening with the old ticker.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Wow! A keto-friendly doctor! Hang on to him!

And it sounds as though you’re doing fine, just Keep Calm and Keto On!