Fat intake and body fat

(Tricia) #1

When should you decrease your fat intake so your body burn it’s own fat instead of the fat your eating?

Weight loss stalling
Lower Fats Once Adapted?
(Ron) #2

Absolutely not until your completely fat adapted or you run the risk of lowering your BMR and will have an incredibly harder time loosing weight.
Becoming fat adapted can take anywhere from 6 weeks to months. Once fat adapted the weight comes off much better.

(Tricia) #3

Ok. I’m only 4 weeks in. 100g fat per day.

(Ron) #4

Most people here will say that they know when they become adapted. I know when it happened for me at 10 weeks, “things” were just different in a much better way.
Your doing great by just trusting the system and asking when you need assistance. Keep up the good work.

(Tricia) #5

Thanks, and thank you for your help! :blush:

(Chris W) #6

From my own personal experience cutting fat everyday is not really a great idea, unless you are in excess of 25% BF, and even then I would wait knowing what I know now. Most likely you are about half way there, things that can work in your favor age(younger) healthy metabolism(not T2D or IR). That said I would be hypocrite to say I did not, but I can tell you that if you stay in the maintain area most all of the time you will have much better life. You should not be hungry unless of course you are about to eat. I think the goal after keto adaption is to get the fat burning machinery working and well oiled. Each of us is little different so what that requires can be a guess. But if you eat till you are full, or at this point satiety if you understand that concept now, with fat then you will be fine. When you start to loose your hunger more and more that is a sign that fat adpation is coming. I got that around 6 weeks in, not to long after I went back to full macros after cutting for a while. Personal opinion if I were to do it all over again, after fat adaption I would go for the fast to loose and keep my macros at maintain+ extra fat on occasion to get the BMR really rolling. But that is me.

(Tricia) #7

I’m doing 1100-1200 calories, 100g fat, 65g protein, and 15g max “total” carbs. I see some people use their Maintenance calories and macros? That seems scary to me! Lol

(Chris W) #8

Don’t be scared embrace it. Unless you are very tiny already you should be well north of 1500 calories.
I am a male 44 I am currently at 21% BF which is up slightly by intention, 192 lbs, I am in the very active catgorery at the moment but spend most of my time in the active to moderate active areas while keto adapting
I am at 2900 calories a day, I eat about 240-250g of fat a day. I lost 1 pound a day for the last week while i have been on this higher level of intake. Mind you I increased to match my output but I was still loosing weight. I can tell you when I have tried to cut my calories every time I have slowed or stalled weight loss. I am not saying you won’t I am saying you will not do it well and feel bad doing it. If you use your maintain macros before fat adaption you will most likely loss weight, if your BF is higher, I did until around 23% then I had to change things around. But that was well into fat adaption. If you cut, your body will start to see an energy crisis coming and slow things down, shut off things, it becomes more noticeable the longer you in ketosis.

(Chris W) #9

And another thing, if you cut fat you could without being fat adapted you could lower your ketones which may slow the process of getting your mitochodria to work correctly to burn fat, which is what you are trying to do now. There are other things that can be done, IF for instance would also aid in weight loss if that is your goal. The metabolic flexibility that fat adaption affords is almost priceless, I would want that more than worrying about the scale in the interim.

(Ron) #10

Take a look at this article. Overall it is very informative for someone just starting out.

(Tricia) #11

A little more info about me…50 year old female, 5’5", 153 lbs. I normally workout 4 days (weights and 15-20 mins cardio)and 3-4 nights week, (3 sets 3 different body parts, sometimes walk a mile). Work is basically a desk job. I did low carb 40-50g, high protein, 35-40g fat, 800- 1000 calories. That worked for awhile, but stopped working cuz I was starving myself. I started keto, and increased my calories, and fat, lowered carbs, and protein, 4 weeks ago, and lost 3-4 lbs, which is good for me! Lol

(Tricia) #12

Thanks!! I’ll definitely read that!

(Chris W) #13

Well with my calculator I come up between 1600-1800 calories.

I think that if you have been doing this type of restriction for a long time you have some work to do. Your BMR/RMR is probably nowhere near your actual TDEE. I was when I started loosing a lot, but that is often the case with men. I was never a restricted eater, I did do paleo which screwed me up even worse, but that is different story. At any rate because I was never a restricted eater, and quite the opposite I ate too much, my body really kicked in when I started keto. Based on the advice of the person who got me into keto I did not restrict for the first few weeks, what I thought that meant was like 3 weeks. Now this guy is the lazest keto I have ever seen, and he lost 100lbs in a year. So at 3 weeks I cut back on fat, just when I needed to have it the most. And that was about the time when I started to slow down from the incredible water weight loss, and nutty no sleep nights, heart pounding like mad, body burning, peeing oil, peeing every half an hour night mare first couple weeks. That all aside part of the reason I went so well(if you call it that) through it I believe is that I was not restricted before I started the more I ponder it. The people who seem to have the hardest time on the keto adaption phase almost always(save outside the T2D and IR folks who have their own battle) seem to be restricted eaters. I have no evidence just what I have seen here.
So take it for what is worth, but I would eat until I am full, let IF come on naturally and go from there.
KCKO

(Tricia) #14

What you said makes sense!!! I’ll try to increase my calories slowly, and see what happens!! :blush:

(Troy) #15

:flushed:
That is a lot of fat😃
I’m always interested in the way others experiment and change things up

Yeah for me,on the BF leaner side, I have Changed up my fat intake as well. I EAT More fat

(Chris W) #16

I am currently working 10-12 hour days installing machinery in a temp controlled plant on a tight schedule. I am moving constantly at the moment I never looked after Thursday but I was averaging 8.7 miles of steps each day, add in ladders, lifting, pushing, hammering, prying( alot) tightening big bolts etc. It is no warmer than 60 degrees and about half the areas are at 40 or less and dropping. I wear only short sleeve shirt and jeans, most of the time(I put a light jacket if I am in cooler that is down to 40.)
I started this schedule on Monday and I ramped my intake starting last saturday at 18% then 25% on Sunday(I had a hard time sleeping Sunday). I looked at my actual consumption, I was only at 230 ish weds on, but still that is in increase of over 25% for me. My macro called for 200g I was more in the 180g range most of the time in the last few weeks, I was higher on the protein due 2 vacations a couple weeks apart I gained about 5 pounds each time.

I lost a pound a day, my salt intake nearly doubled, water almost 4x times but I don’t have accurate count on that. Its nice being on a construction site in the sense I have to bring everything I consume in. I also fasted after noon on Friday for 24 hours, my body was sore and I needed it to feel better which it does. The only problem for me is that it messed up my eating window, I would normally fast until noon but I don’t have the ablity to get my fat in that way currently so I have to eat before i leave. So I was on three squares last week more or less as well instead 18:6.

My body fat according to my fat game pad did go up 2% since my last recorded reading but that was before vacation. I am ok with that at the moment, I need the energy. This weekend I went back down to my normal level, and I am boosting Monday morning again, I am also allowing my self some diet soda to get some extra boost.
It worked as well as I could have hoped, almost better, I just wish my joints were a little better, but I am working on that now.

(Troy) #17

Great Insight!!
Thank You

I often think if my “ day to day “ routine changes
How will my WOE or how will I tweak it up?

There’s no right or wrong :smile:
Just another fun way to experiment more w ones Body

Btw…I would prob be drinking (2) no sugar no carb rockstars w you schedule! Wow
Hectic

Good Luck
And keep safe in that work environment

(Chris W) #18

Coke zero works, I stay away from those crazy B via drinks. I look at soda as a gateway drug for me. I would prefer to use butter(if I have a pat of butter its like a sugar high)or coconut oil, MCT oil is a little to much for me in any volume. Without access to a fridge for a week or two and the weather actually being what it is supposed to be I cannot keep butter or coconut oil in my truck. I loose the ability to take food into the area I am working in the next couple days or so otherwise I would just place it in the cooler.

I am a millwright by schooling so I am in my element at the moment, my normal routine would be more of a maintenance man than millwright. I am not working with the largest equipment but there are a lot of unanswered questions and new high tech stuff nobody has worked with before, installing pieces of puzzle from multiple vendors and working with an engineer who has known to have a rubber ruler at times.
I made at least two coworkers a little angry because I don’t need to eat lunch per say and I now get focused so I keep going, I was told to dial it down a little. In the end I payed though with my joints.

Hi, Chris! Have you thought about taking cacao butter with you as a snack? It comes in little chunks and would be very convenient for the worksite. I have started taking some with me in a ziplock bag when I’m running around in case I can’t get some good fat in and will eat a few pieces.

(Chris W) #20

And is nearly impossible to find in these parts besides ordering online. I only have few weeks of that issue. I have macadamia nuts, pork rinds, mixed nuts and some sausages in my truck at all times plus sardines salt, boulion, and mio in my lunch box at all times as well. The funny things is my water with lemon and coconut oil always get cold and the coconut gets solid, so I have thermos to keep hot water through out the day.