Weight Loss Slowing Down

(Dan) #1

Hi all, I really appreciate everything on this forum and have learned so much. I was wondering how much people’s weight loss usually slows down as they get closer to goal weight? I am not stalled and am very happy with my progress. I just know it is going slower than it used to which is fine. More curious than anything.
38 year old male, 5’10 179lbs. Been living the Keto life for 8 and a half months and I am down 81 pounds. My original goal when I started was 180. I think I would like to get to around 170 now but we will see.
Thanks in advance.

Here’s my graph if that helps.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

My understanding is that among many things, keto trends towards whatever your ‘ideal’ metabolic state happens to be. Let’s say your ‘ideal’ metabolic state means your weight is 160 pounds. You start out at 260 pounds, so the trend in weight starts high (fast loss) but as you approach your ‘ideal’ slows. Why? Maybe because with the weight pretty much under control, other things take precedence.

(Jack Bennett) #3

For your reference, my N=1 scenario is very similar. M, 44yo, 5’11", starting weight 215-220lbs, final weight 175-180lbs.

I’ve done this same weight loss pattern 3x in the last decade, so for me, where I’m at now is where my body seems to land.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

We have to find our own way when we get close to maintenance weight. I had a similar experience, and to keep progressing you need to tweak things to get those final pounds off. What I did was what worked in my situation, but someone else could be opposite of my issue with the same result. You could be over eating, under eating, eating foods that are holding you back (dairy, artificial sweeteners, nuts and nut butters), eating too many hours during the day, exercising too much or not moving enough, drinking alcohol too often, stress, lack of sleep…

It’s also often necessary to re-examine how much you’re eating as you get smaller. Are you a creature of habit? Are you eating till satiety and stopping? Have you tried any fasting, intermittent or extended?

Like you I got to the weight I used to look good at and realized my body was changed too much to look good at that weight. Except for me it was 20-25 lbs because I don’t have the muscle and bone mass I used to. Maybe I also set an easier more achievable goal in my mind starting out and with the power KETO gave me I realized I could do much better. I have adopted this as a lifestyle for health issue reasons. I’m in maintenance mode but my body is still going through recomposition. I still fast and in maintenance have done my first extended fasts in 15 months of KETO. I’m interested in autophagy and life extension and rebuilding my body as best possible.

When you’re close to maintenance you have to shake it up to get the rest off. I had to eat more for a while and during a shorter time window. Other people eat too much out of habit as they get smaller. I was under eating and my metabolism was slowed down. Weight loss was there and all of the sudden stopped while eating at a deficit. You have to figure out your individual situation. Good luck and congratulations on your awesome progress so far. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Pete A) #5

I lost 70 pounds Keto and still am losing, but v e r y slowly. And fat, being I run on it. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

(Scott) #6

It started to slow or stall about 8 pounds from what I think is ideal weight. I even had a small uptick after thanksgiving and a stay at a all inclusive resort (who’da thunk). I am sure if I quit drinking I would be there but no sense in attempting that for the holidays.

(Dan) #7

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the help.

I typically eat OMAD. I eat between 11:30-12:30 then fast the rest of the day. A couple days a week I may eat dinner if I am hungry. It’s possible I am not eating enough calories.

I am in no way unhappy. If the last few pounds take a while so be it. I was more curious if it was just me or not.

(Bob M) #8

I’ve reached the conclusion I’ll never look as good as when I was say 24. Back then, I was lifting and exercising all the time and had waaaay more muscle mass than now. But I have too many injuries to get back to that. And I likely did too much damage to myself.

On the other hand, after 6 years low carb, I’ve reached my lowest weight, just switched pants sizes (to 34 from 36 inch waist), had to buy a new winter coat (old one was too big), and am getting stronger. I’m able to eat 2 meals most days and none some days. At this rate, I MIGHT be able to get into pants with 32 waist next year. My wife and I had a laugh, when I remarked that if I get into 32 waist, I’ll be symmetric: 32 waist and 32 length. :grinning: A NSV to shoot for?

(Dan) #9

Lol, that’s one of the best NSV ever. I have went from a size 40 pants to a size 29 and a 3x shirt to an xl. I am just happy to not have to shop at the only big and tall shop in my town anymore. I’ll gladly trade that for a slow last few pounds.

Like you, I can’t remember weighing this weight. Early high school maybe. Either way, I love me some keto.

You’re in the “correct” range for your height assuming a typical build, so not surprising you’re winding down the weight (hopefully fat) loss.

(Dan) #11

Gotcha. For some reason I thought 174 was the top end. That makes more sense then. I still have some tummy fat that I think could come off. But I am very happy with the progress.

(Bob M) #12

That’s an impressive achievement.

I went from a 43+ to a 34 so far. Not sure about shirts, though. I know I’m wearing large now, and certainly have had to get rid a bunch of XLs or larger.

Another odd thing is that I used to get 30 inch length pants. I’m not sure if I’m wearing my pants differently, but now 30 inches is too short and 32 works much better. The pants I have on today are “leftovers” (haven’t bought all new pants just yet), are 30 inches in length, and are too short.

(Paulene ) #13

That is the most beautiful weightloss chart I have seen, @DoubleDown. Nice work.