Weight loss fail

newbies

(Liz ) #18

I lose weight SO SLOOOOWLY and it was incredibly hard to be patient especially at the start but I think you are definitely on the right track so hang in there!

My fat adaptation didn’t even kick in for about 6 weeks, sometimes it can takes months! Your body is revving up the mechanisms by which it will burn fat for fuel instead of glucose and that takes some time. It’s happening at the mitochondrial level in your cells! It’s kind of amazing.

You may already know these tips but don’t skimp on fats at this stage, you are letting your body know what the new fuels will be. And try not to snack between meals, Better to add the snack food to your meal time. The fewer times you eat each day, the more successful you’ll be in keeping your insulin low which is the whole point of the Keto lifestyle.

Keep Calm and Keto On!

(Karl) #19

I say just keep at it. Eventually the cork in the bottle will come loose.

(Richard Neurouter) #20

Good Day,
I am writing in the hope of obtaining answers I am desperately in search of.
To begin, I am a 46 y/o male, 5’10” 250lbs with a sedentary lifestyle. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea (dedicated CPAP user over 15 years), Hypertension, High Cholesterol, and Type 2 Diabetes (a1c 8.0).
My physician had advised me to see a RN Diabetes Counselor for nutrition and weight loss advise. Having followed the plan, I had basically little success.
Six weeks ago, after performing research, I began a ketogenic diet. Using the My Fitness Pal App and Samsung health, I religiously have tracked all food/water intake and activity (My BMR calculation is roughly 1800 no activity 2400 with activity for weigh loss.)
As I said, I have tracked this religiously. I need to admit, there have been days where numbers were not perfect. Based on 50 records My avg. Net Carb intake is 18.7g with a on time high of 28.7g and 10 total incidents over 20g. My Calorie intake avg. is 2000 and I burn avg 2400 kcal. I have been in ketosis since day 4 (Urine strips) and now consistently find my ketone level using Precision xtra between .5 and 1.9. I have made an active move to increase activity (basic walking) to 1-2 hours a day.
I have ceased old habits such as 4000-5000 calories and unknown carb intake from beer weekly.
I have lost 3in. an NO WEIGHT in 6 weeks
My initial blood sugars were great (80-100) , however for the past 2 weeks they are up to 130-150 with no change on my end.
I understand the “slow and long term” process, but the lack of any real result is crazy to me.
I returned to the nutritionist who admittedly said the were not an expert on ketosis, and they tell me to further reduce calories to 1800 and cut salt to 1500mg with increase exercise. They also say eat 30-40g of carbs a meal.
I like the food and recipes found across the net for Keto and am satisfied. I don’t mind skipping beer. Just can’t understand why no results beyond a 3 in (and that stopped 2 weeks ago.
Any help is appreciated.

(Karen) #21

Thanks Liz!
the science behind is really is quite amazing and I"m glad to hear others say the weight loss was not jaw dropping (although sorry to hear it was a struggle for you)
I have definitely added fatty foods to my diet (avocado, eggs, pork rinds, mayo, etc) but am also finding it hard to retrain my brain to prefer chicken wings over chicken breasts and stuff like that. I am making some coffee now and will be adding in a tablespoon of coconut oil to curb me until dinner tonight. I don’t struggle on snacks during the day, but come night time I like to indulge in alcoholic beverages (ive switched from red wine to merlot) and drinking brings snacking so I hope to focus more energy on changing that.

(Dan Dan) #22

How is this not good ? :thinking:

In 6 months you could lose 12 inches :open_mouth:

Congratulations on your success :clap:

(Rob) #23

It sounds like you are doing most things right. Started keto, good carb control, calculated TDEE, stopped binging.

I started in a very similar position, same age, an inch shorter and 15lbs heavier. I lost some water weight initially and then nothing for 5 weeks. I did feel better though and KCKO’d since I was pretty desperate for this to work… and it did. 5 months in and 50lbs down.

The only thing I’d critique in your process is maybe to eat a bit more (fat) and KCKO. You shouldn’t build a deficit at this stage and you are a big guy and should eat a lot (to your TDEE) until you are fat adapted (hopefully soon). I would also eat more salt. About 20% of people are negatively sensitive to salt but most people need more than the recommended levels. I got sodium up to 4000-6000mg most days and have found success. We are all different and keto is all about experimentation (n=1) so try these changes and see if they work.

I don’t know why the blood sugar went up after getting good so fast. You might want to research that or post this specifically as a separate question?

Good luck.

(Liz ) #24

It was definitely an evolution for me as well, inching toward a “more perfect keto” if you will. Tweaking what I needed to bit by bit, month by month until I got to a system I enjoy. Enjoying it is a big part of it, IMO, it’s not meant to be punishment. But there is so much to learn at the start! It can get overwhelming.

I want to say, even though I lose slowly I went from a size twelve to a size six after losing 45 pounds over about 13 months. I don’t think I would be a size six if I’d lost the weight another way other than keto, I’m pretty sure a little of it is magic :wink:

And BTW, I’m down 100 pounds from the start of my low carb journey in 2003, I had some missteps along the way but Keto and fasting are going to get me to goal this time and I’m so grateful. You can see my before and after in the Super-Dooper Real Life Photo thread Keep at it! You came to the right place.

(Richard Neurouter) #25

Thanks for the responses and encouragement

(Dan Dan) #26

The magic is from the kindness, support and inspiration you give to the forum :smiley:

Thank you so much

(Dan Dan) #27

You too Rob are quite the magician of inspiration and support :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Liz ) #28

Wow, what a kind thing to say! Thanks so much, made my day :blush:

(Candy Lind) #29

GREAT ATTITUDE, @fiddlebanshee !! You are going to be a keto success story. :+1::clap:

(Ashley) #31

Honestly I just turned 29, Female. I’m only about 15 lbs lighter and I’ve done keto on and off since the beginning of March but full committed one week before the end of March. I’ve gone up and down the same pounds. I’m learning a lot from these guys on here. I took my scale away. I may check in a few weeks but I was too fixated on it. Now I’m learning, or trying to learn how to up fats, not eat as much protein and I’m implementing fasting but only 18 hours because I’ve listened to my body and that’s when I’m usually hungry. It’s okay your body is healing. It takes time. But even though the scale hasn’t changed for me last few weeks I have still seen differences. Clothes fit differently. My jeans don’t fit me now, sweats and shorts I’ve had to tighten the strings. I’ve lost 4 inches off my waist. Ignore the scale, check your macros, learn how to do things right. I’m still learning. I figure a few months of learning and getting fat adapted is so much better than a road of possible diabetes. Lifetime obesity with health issues. I want to fix my lifestyle while I’m still younger so as I get older I know what’s best for me! Good luck and as people keep telling me lol, KCKO (Keep calm, keto on)

(Candy Lind) #32

This probably doesn’t have enough electrolytes to do the job when you’re on keto. Try making some keto-aide and drink a couple of bottles a day, and salt the daylights out of your food; or just put straight salt in a 20-24oz bottle of water - I put in 1/8 tsp salt in a .75l bottle, then add 1/2 packet of True Lemon or True Lime (crystallized juice, one packet = 1 slice so very little carb) and basically drink lightly salted water all day. You have to have a lot of salt - 4 to 5 grams a day is optimum. If you feel tired, take some salt and you’ll likely feel better in 15-30 minutes.

You’re just getting started - give your body a chance to heal and adapt, as others have said - this way of life is WORTH IT. KCKO!

(Rob) #33

Thanks. You’re not a bad role model yourself :grinning:

(Rob) #34

You would do better licking a dirty metal lamppost. There is almost nothing in it (a bit of sodium). Compared to what you need you’d have to swig it neat (DON’T) and still supplement with Mg and K.

There are better electrolyte products but usually dissolving tabs or powders like ZipFizz or Nuun, but take @CandyLindTX 's advice and make keto-ade!

(Ashley) #35

I’m been trying to drink her ketoade but the taste makes me gag :(!!

(Karen) #36

Thanks for the advice Candy! I have a feeling I am indeed not getting enough salt. Ive never been one to shy away from salt before but never had to worry about getting enough! wish they made electrolyte tablets I could add to my other morning supplements. Salt water just sounds terrible. haha

(Karen) #37

good to know! I will look up recipes for keto-ade

(Rob) #38

This is the classic