Weight Loss Drugs - The Down Side

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #1

BBC Story Today

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

The downside to weight loss drugs if after you stop thanking them, all the weight comes back and usually brings along a bunch of their friends as well.

(Brian) #3

And then there is Fasting. If a person can “man up” and make it through the first 24 to 36 hours, it gets a lot easier. :slight_smile:

I prefer Keto, tbqpfh.

Why starve? Why drug yourself and pay for it?

Try Keto first would be my advice.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

Exactly.
Surely Keto is worth a try before yet more drugs. The most delicious remedy ever

(Allie) #6

These things may have a place if used alongside lifestyle changes and education, but they’re being handed out like candy with no guidance or education - typical quick fix in the pill popping society.

Seeing someone who has lost a LOT of weight using semaglutide (and developing very severe pancreatitis in the process… ) stuffing their face full of McDonalds and other carb loaded crap is upsetting.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #7

Fair enough.
I’ve heard good results in some cases from gastric bands.
Can’t say I know anyone who’s tried it though.

(Allie) #8

Not something I would ever recommend based on what I know about them.

IDK if it was with gastric bands, I think so… But a really determined one with a super severe compulsion eats beyond pain and still don’t lose fat… Maybe some would vomit first but I heard about cases where the surgery just didn’t help.

It’s probably even more so with drugs. I haven’t any idea how they work and what they do but probably block something? They can’t block eating a ton though. So they may help some people and not others. Like it never helped me enough just having zero appetite and hunger, I still ate too much. Well, I never tried a tiny stomach, mine has a 2 liter capacity… I am sure that would “help” as I am a hedonist and even compulsive eating can’t make me eat beyond serious discomfort and even pain. I could eat zillion times but that gets old super quickly, I hate that.

But whatever we do, we should eat a good diet or else we may lose fat but damage our health, well-being, maybe something mental…

(Allie) #10

The person I know who is on them said they make her less hungry so she’s only eating half a big pizza instead of a whole one…

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

:heart::100:

(KM) #12

They stimulate insulin production, which drops blood sugar levels, so it’s not about blocking so much as mopping up, but according to someone I know who’s on Ozempic, it also makes them feel vaguely nauseous most of the time, so they eat less and definitely don’t binge.

Personally I’m very attached to my own ideas of what a healthy diet looks like, and just because this person’s eating less and losing weight doesn’t give me a lot of hope that they’re actually improving their health very much. I have a hard time imagining that someone who’s already insulin resistant and naturally producing huge insulin spikes to get their glucose down is benefitting in the long run from a drug that pushes even More insulin production.

I know someone who had a gastric balloon inflated inside their stomach.

She did lose weight, but when it was deflated and removed the weight came back (it is a temporary measure as opposed to the gastric band surgery, typically in place for 6 months. And it is still expensive, normally about ÂŁ5k plus UK).

Except that’s not true, the rules don’t change. If you lose weight, and gain it back, it’s because you ate it back on. The stupid people on things like Semaglutide rather than fixing their nutrition, just use it for never ending appetite control, while still eating crap all the time. They gain it back because they’ve fixed nothing, and then ate a larger volume of what they ate the entire time to get fat to begin with. That’s blaming (their) problem on the drug.

In the mean time, Semaglutide makes you more insulin sensitive, which can break the negative feedback loop people deal with, lower their A1C, and of course, controls out of control appetite. As a binge eater and somebody that uses Semaglutide myself, it’s the first time in a LONG time I’ve been able to not screw up because my brain sells me out and I eat everything in site. Eating strict keto never controlled my appetite, never made me full after meals, and never made my hunger / satiety signals work right. I’m far from rare on that one.

If it wasn’t a complete price gouge for those that don’t know how to get around that, it could help an insane amount of people, more than anything we’ve had up until this point has been able to accomplish. You still have to fix your nutrition as a whole, but blaming a peptide for people getting fat again is the same argument as guns shooting people, forks making people fat and pencils mispelling words.

That’s from overdosing it, when people use it for fat loss (more of us doing that without doctors than with in the Peptide world) if you hold your dose rather than constantly upping it while it’s still working, that doesn’t happen. But that’s how Ozempic put out their dose progression as it’s geared towards diabetic, still doesn’t take their “full” dose to accomplish that though. Wegovy almost copied their dose progression, so you have all the people using them with Doctors that want to puke all the time, and the majority who are the peptide users doing it (right), and that’s pretty rare when you dose it right.

(Chuck) #16

I disagree Most time the chemicals in the drugs cause the body to eliminate the food and the person keeps eating the same amount of food. And most time the drugs destroy the bodies capacity to absorb the nutrients even after the drugs are stopped. I have taken the the route of losing the weight and fat by eating real food, and removing all processed food and drugs from my system.

(Allie) #17

Yeah they’re really not longterm and do nothing to help the people learn how to better care for themselves. Someone I knew who had gastric surgery was absolutely delighted when, post-op, she managed to eat 1/8th of a McDonalds burger… :flushed:

(Bob M) #18

There are multiple theories on how it works. Some involve modification of hormones (causing you to be less hungry), some involve causing longer transit time (so you feel fuller for longer). Not sure what’s winning.

Heck, I don’t even understand how low carb works. Why is it that I lost weight, when going keto, while eating as much as I wanted and decreasing the amount I exercised? That’s not supposed to be possible. And I realize insulin has something to do with it, but that can’t be the only explanation.

I mean “portion control” is still a big thing out there in the world. Why do I need portion control for pasta, but I can seemingly eat as much steak as I want? (And it can’t be all insulin, because steak causes an insulin response too.)

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

Well, that seems to be the case for every woman I have ever known, including myself. We can continue to eat the way we were with the drugs, and when we stopped the weight came back. I also worked with a man who had the same issue. The way your body responds to the change is my guess. Keto/hflc is the only thing that helped me remove my excess weight and keep it off, for going on 6 yrs, know that never happend before. And I eat more calories now, it is just stuff my body can deal with now. It is wonderful to not yoyo anymore.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #20

Hmmm mine was just a steady upward incline and at the top was T2D , then came Low carb and the downhill cruse back down.
I’m hoping theres no yoyo.