Weight goes up before it goes down?

(Candice) #1

Hi all,

Somewhat of a newbie here! Started Keto on Jan 1st in my quest to loose some extra weight and get healthier. I’ve gained about 20lbs since I went off Atkins 10 years ago— a diet which I lost over 80LBs on in my early 20s. Altered the course of my life.

I have a simple question: is it normal for your body to gain a pound or two before you lose? I vaguely remember my body doing this many years ago, but I am not sure. It seems to be a pattern developing and I wanted to check and see if others notice an increase in weight before they see a big drop (1 or 2 lbs up and then 2-3 lbs down from their lowest number.). Is this a thing, and if so, do we know why?

Thank you!

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/roller-coaster-scale/72042

(less is more, more or less) #3

Hello and welcome to the forums. Panic about weight is fairly common, especially among those just starting out. The only thing that is normal is that nothing is normal. Anyhow, we have a ton of excellent resources I strongly encourage you to check out:

(Carl Keller) #4

Hello and welcome Candice

Our daily weight can easily fluctuate 1-3 pounds just from water loss and gain. This is totally normal and not anything to worry about.

Just try to realize that keto is not just a weight loss program. It’s a way of eating in which we heal our gut and fix our deranged hormones. Weight loss is more like a (very) positive side effect of a broader healing process.

Juice’s “Keto is this easy” link in @Screenack’s reply is a great tool to see if you are on the right track.

(Eloise Hicks) #5

“deranged hormones”
Love that! Thanks for reminding me to focus on body healing and not just weight loss :blush:

(Running from stupidity) #6

Karl™ is a good word … person