Weight Gain (Newbie)

Hi All
I started a keto diet while on a 16/8 fast 3 weeks ago.I limited myself to 1500-1700 calories a day and less than 20% carbs.I kept my protein low and fats high.
I do all over body workout 4 times a week and i do a 3 mile walk with a a 30kg weighted vest at least 4 times a week.
My weight was 15st 3ibs when i started,now 3 weeks later im 16stone 8ibs.Im sorry but i stopped the diet as something is wrong.There should be no way on the training im doing and a 16/8IF,virtually no carbs and low calories should i be putting on weight like i am.
Can someone advice me on whats gone wrong pls

(MooBoom) #2

Going solely by what you’ve described, you are highly likely not getting sufficient calories and your body is in starvation mode.

How much is 20% carbs? You need to be under 20g a day.

Are your clothes fitting better/tighter? The scales are not your friend…

I ment to say less than 20g of carbs sorry,so days its less than 10g.My wife has said im looking fatter too so its not just me.Id even tried 2000 cals a day.Cant put my finger on why my weight has shot up a stone and half in less the 2-3 weeks

(MooBoom) #4

Can you give us a run down of a typical day of eating? What foods have you got in your keto pantry :blush:

(German Ketonian) #5

What about other things? Medications? Stress? Lack of sleep?

Besides, I think you are taking in too few calories and exercise too much. 4 times a weeks seems a lot and you are only 3 weeks in. This all creates stress for your body.

What about protein? Try to aim for as little carbs and protein as possible. During the first 6 weeks, I would shoot for at least 80% fat to become adapted quickly.

I start the day with a bulletproof coffee (2 scoops of grassfed butter,2 tb spoon of MCT oil
Lunch is normally bacon cooked in 1 tbl spoon of coconut oil
Evening meal is something like pork chops again cooked in coconut oil.
Green peppers (cooked in coconut oil)
Will have 100g of cheddar cheese and 100-200g of full fat fage yoghurt
If im not eating pork chops i’ll have 20% fat mince

I eat no strach,cakes,buiscuits,cereal,pasta,sweetners etc.Ive always drank my coffee black with nothing added

(MooBoom) #7

Sounds pretty decent- I’m stumped if it’s food causing your gain (except I seriously think you still need to eat more).

Stress? Constipation? Water retention? Dairy intolerance? This early in it’s difficult to pin down. I’m sorry you’ve thrown the towel in as the only way you’ll know what happening is to do a bit of trial and error.

(Sarah Bruhn) #8

Could you be putting on muscle? It would be a good idea to start measuring and/or calipers because putting on muscle without leaning up can make you look thicker for sure… As you are exercising so much and keto is muscle building this would be my guess.

My stomach is a lot bigger than it was and to be honest even putting muscle on i couldnt must a stone and a half on in the short time.
Im guessing keto is maybe not for everyone,i dont know.I gave it a try anyway.Thanks for the replies everyone :slight_smile:

(German Ketonian) #10

something does not sound right, here. There is definitely some other confounding factor.

(Raj Seth) #11

With your scant energy consumption, and strenuous exercise, you may have a totally wrecked metabolism. Your body may be fighting you.
Also without height age sex can’t tell how obese you were at 213 SW

Keto is not a quick weight loss plan. It’s a way of life/eating that helps restore your body to its natural state metabolically. From that point on it’s letting the body run on its own as it has learned to over millions of years of evolution. It’s possible your body evolved differently, and somehow can’t handle Keto- but that would make you more snowflake-y than most here😀

However, sounds like you have already decided this is not for you, so keep calm and carry on!

I know keto isnt a quick fix,i spent weeks looking into it before deciding to do it.

Im 52 yrs old,male and 5ft 11ins tall.My bodyfat % was 17.25% before starting keto.Id like nothing more but to stay on it but considering how its started off its not filling me full of confidence that its for me

(Raj Seth) #13

At that size, you are bigger than me in every dimension, I’m 5’8”, 54 and 215 lbs (15st 5)
and I eat twice what you eat - easily 2500-3000 kCals - sedentary except 8-10K steps daily and I’m making steady progress - 6 stones thus far

Your body is probably fighting your brain with every weapon known because it needs a lot more nutrition

Read this newbie post