Weight Gain after the fast?

(Brent) #1

Hi everyone another fasting question :slight_smile: . I have been on a fast in the past but i don’t remember the details of the fast (its been awhile). Now granted you are going to gain some weight because of water & food in your digestive system but if you do everything right (refeeding & what not) was a good round about estimate of how much weight gain to expect post fast. I was thinking about 5 pounds but not sure how accurate that is.

(Doug) #2

Good question, Brent. I’ve never checked, but surely the amount regained is closely related to how much water was lost in the change from eating to fasting. Assuming no big hormonal changes, then I think electrolytic balance will determine most of it.

If one was eating keto with no processed foods, going to the fasting state might not change things much, especially if one supplemented with salt, etc.

Carbohydrates become hydrated in the body, so going from “carbs” to “no carbs” - or the reverse - has an effect. Yet I think salt will normally be the big kahuna of change. I’ve read that 4 ounces of cottage cheese will mean 2 pounds of water in the body, and that salt to water is a ratio of from 1:20 to 1:25, i.e. eat an ounce of salt, you’ll gain over a pound in water weight.

Being around 300 lbs. or more for many years and eating the “Standard American Diet” (extra emphasis on carbs and salt, often), I could lose 10+ lbs. within 2 days just by cutting out all salt and salty foods.

In a fit of boredom and probably carb-induced hunger, once ate 3 lbs. of quite salty “mini pretzels” in a few hours, and by the end of the day my fingers were painfully and very noticeably swollen.

(Jeremy Storie) #3

I recently followed a 72 hr fast with a 72 hr egg fast and was able to keep from gaining back any of the weight that I had lost while fasting.

(Dave) #4

I have only dobe 72 hour fast two times both tines I lost as much or more during the feast days.