Weight Fluctuation

Ok, I know that weight will go up and down and not to really sweat it because the overall trend is or should be moving downwards. So that leads me to this; should fluctuations move as much as up 10lbs??? The clothes are fitting very differently so I know there is progress but man I would love to actually see the scale move more.Overall in the 2 months I’ve been at this I’ve lost as much as 21 lbs but this recent up tick has seen me put on 10lbs in which 7 of them has come off already in 5 days or so. I’m tracking my macros in Cronometer and have been pretty solid with sticking to the plan. I admit however I am struggling with getting all of my water in. So, am I obsessing over a scale victory and this is normal or am I maybe doing something wrong besides not getting enough water? I’m taking in maybe 32oz a day.

(Dan Dan) #2

Yes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #3

I think weight loss/gain of more than a half pound a day is water.

During a week of travel where I didn’t eat particularly well, I gained almost 10 pounds.
Meanwhile, this week, I lost 15 pounds. :flushed:
Personally, I’m not that concerned as the overall trends are positive and my clothing is getting looser.

(Andrew) #4

I can add/lose 8 lbs of glycogen & water. 10 lbs is about right. Now that I know what actually has carbs in it I never really move around a lot. If I do an EF then I still dump a lot of water that I have slowly accumulated.

I usually just weight myself first thing in the am. You are usually about the same level of hydration.

Your experience sounds totally normal.

Ive been on Keto for 6 weeks or so, yesterday morning I weighed 148, this morning 152. I drank plenty of water and ate similarly both days, including IF from 8pm to 2pm… I’m always so confused when I see a fluctuation like that and even though I know it can’t be a true gain it’s hard not to panic.

(Candy Lind) #6

Double check for HIDDEN CARBS, but mostly, just step away from the scale. It does no good to obsess (believe me, I know!) - just raises cortisol levels which block fat release & weight loss. I try to keep it down to once or twice a week, sometimes I’m successful, sometimes not. I have an OCD friend who really can NOT stay away. She puts it all into an app that shows trends so she can see the downward progress on a trend chart.

If you’re not sure about the carbs, post either here or in the linked thread what you ate the day before the uptick, and we’ll take a look.

KCKO!

I was pretty careful with carbs- I actually think I may have been a bit low on calories, and probably too low on fat. But I didn’t feel hungry and I am trying to mix it up to break this stall.
My first meal was 2 eggs, 2oz of cheese and 1 cup asparagus, and tea with 1tbsp HWC. Second meal was 4 oz beef tenderloin cooked in butter with some blue cheese dressing (1/2 tbsp) with 1 cup cauliflower and broccoli, and a mixed greens salad with olive oil vinaigrette (1/3 tbsp), then tea with 2 tbsp HWC.
I’ll try to ignore the scale for a while, but at the same time I want to know that I’m making progress!

(Candy Lind) #8

THIS. I only counted up between 8-900 calories in that list. You are DESTROYING your metabolism by restricting calories.

CICO DOES NOT WORK (follow that link later). I am a living breathing example. I started near 300 pounds and was restricting to under 1200 calories and always hungry. I’m down to 238, slowly but surely trending down. When I’m hungry, I EAT. I can eat 1500 calories without gaining (and I am a sloth).

Proposed changes to your food diary: Butter or olive oil on the asparagus. Butter, coconut oil or more HWC in the tea (use a stick blender to emulsify it and butter is GLORIOUS in tea & coffee). More dressing on the steak (or butter). 1/2 tablespoon of oil on your salad? NO!! LOAD IT UP. Think of your veggies as a fat vehicle. If you are not satiated after a meal, listen to your body and eat more. FAT.

You have to repair your metabolism to experience the MAGIC that is the keto way of life. DON’T. FEAR. THE FAT. Trust me on this!

Lock the scales in the boot of your car, and only step on them once a month.

(Renee Slaughter) #10

What she said. Not enough fat or calories

I understand and am not consciously trying to reduce calories but I was feeling full! There was oil on the asparagus, and I had intended to eat a fat bomb or cheese with dinner but I had company over and didn’t want to be rude.
Some days I know I am well over my calories, other days (like yesterday) I am under.
I had thought that mixing it up is one strategy to break a plateau?

(Candy Lind) #12

That is true about mixing it up but do two or three days of high-intake to ramp things up. Also, consider other NSVs that may be happening - measurements and the like. Your body may be busy with something else. I think you are pretty much on the right track as long as you don’t have many of those low-calorie days. Keep checking in to let us know how you’re doing! :relaxed: and KCKO

PS I love @Wishbone’s idea of locking the scale in the boot …wait, I don’t have a boot - I have a trunk. Well, whatever you have, lock it up! LOL! :rofl: