The most surprising hidden carbs?

Hey there! I am still adjusting and learning so much about Keto almost two months in. I am having trouble losing, but being it’s only 10 pounds, I’m attesting it to that. I have gotten discouraged a few times because of one site saying this, another site saying that type of thing. You all have been my go-to now since I found you, and I cannot say enough how sweet everyone is, so thank you for that. It makes such a difference!

I did a search for this but couldn’t find anything specific. When starting Keto, most of us start simple, most of us being me :joy: Anyway, the more I read, the more I see foods listed that I was eating and I’m in shock because I was eating it and had no idea it had carbs in it! Those evil hidden carbs foods! :see_no_evil:

So I wanted to get opinions from all of you on what you think beginners (or even non-beginners) eat or drink that they may not realize have hidden carbs in it. It would be helpful for me, but for others also as I know I’ve seen the same issues mentioned elsewhere.

For one, I know in the beginning I was eating a lot of cheese like it was nothing and came to find that was a big no no :sushing_face:

So what are your opinions on where you think hidden carbs are? Or what ingredients to look out for and put that product back on the shelf ?

Keto math = not fun
Weight Fluctuation
(Auden) #2

I find hidden carbs eating out sometimes. Like Outback Steakhouse uses sugar on the green beans. At one time Ruby Tuesday used sugar on their steaks, but I think they stopped. IHOP puts pancake batter in the scrambled eggs. Things like that. At home, I use a tracker like MyFitnessPal.

(Marie Dantoni) #3

I don’t buy much that comes prepared or packaged, because I like to cook and to know what is in my food.
I was surprised, however to find that garlic and onions are fairly high carb. I only use these sparingly now.

(Marie Dantoni) #4

Almost forgot liver, eggs and shrimp contain carbs…but very little.

See! I had no idea about garlic!! :open_mouth:

(Duncan Kerridge) #6

But don’t forget the dose is the poison … garlic is 30g carbs per 100g but if you’re using 2-3 cloves of garlic in a dish that might only be 10g of garlic so only 3g carbs.

Got cha! Ok that helps a lot. Thanks, Duncan!

(Marie Dantoni) #8

Aha not so fast…I am making tomato sauce as we speak. One average clove went in at 3 carbs so the dose is smaller than you might imagine (lol).

(Marie Dantoni) #9

Source: Cronometer 10 g by weight. Touche !

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

Your garlics must be bigger than mine :grinning:

(Marie Dantoni) #11

:fearful:

(mike) #12

Diet sodas are a real tricky one. While they won’t likely raise or spike glucose many people report insulin spikes. I notice when consuming more diet soda than normal that my weight stalls or rises slightly. I believe these fake sugars don’t fool our primitive systems. Each person has to learn which artificial sweeteners can raise insulin.

(Michael ) #13

For sure with the diet sodas. I have even found this to be true with stevia and erythritol for me. Combine a ton of cheese from fathead pizza and sweetner enhanced desserts, no weight loss over the holidays. I still follow a very paleo approach with dairy that seems to be treating me well

(Karen) #14

Fake crab has carbs, my protein drinks have them. :angry::angry:

(Athena) #15

Be wary of sausage! When I first started Keto I ate sausage with eggs for breakfast every morning. I bought the sausage from a high-end grocery store, from behind the meat counter. It looked like they ground it and made it themselves. After weeks of problems someone here suggested I look into the sausage. It turned out they bought the product somewhere else and it had some type of sugar in it. Always check the ingredients!

(Michael ) #16

True that. Not just sugar but nitrates in bacon and sausage. I’ve found a brand at Safeway for a good price with no added crap. I must concede that i enjoy Johnsonville better, but too much added junk in those for me. I want great health so extra careful with what i consume

Just like you mentioned cheese, HWC is not carb free. Fine to enjoy in moderation, but I count each TBP as 1 carb- even though the deceptive labeling makes it look like zero. Sadly it adds up quickly!

(Marie Dantoni) #18

Yes, yes, and yes.

And sausages more often than not have wheat flour in them as a filler and binder!

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #20

The only way to measure insulin is in a lab, so anyone reporting that sweeteners raise their insulin is using some proxy like glucose to measure it.