Weight dropping but waist measurement unchanged

(Erik) #1

Hi from Los Angeles!

So I’ve been IF 19|5 for 2 months and in keto for 1.
I’ve lost 27 lbs in that time! I’m thrilled.

Weird thing is, my waist measurement at the navel hasn’t decreased… at all. Not by an 1/8th". Nada. Zip.

Belt is getting maybe a bit looser- 1/2 a hole?

I have an Omron full body scan scale (not precise but good for tracking) and everything is progressing nicely. At the start it said my body age was 77 (I’m 55), now down to 72, visceral fat 10, now 8.

I’m gonna KCKO and hope for a whoosh. Would have been nice if my belly shrank incrementally so my skin could adapt with it. Now I fear if a whoosh does manifest, I"ll have this disgusting mass of floppy skin around my middle…

Anyone else experience this?

(Sophie) #2

It’s usually the opposite with me! Congrats on your progress!!! :clap::clap::clap:

(Karen) #3

Yep, I’m a bit of an apple. My behind is smaller, my thighs, my face. My belly is holding on hoping for a pizza I think. It is where I classically gain first and lose last. KCKO. It will go.

K

(Pete A) #4

It took a while for my waist size to catch up with pounds lost. I definitely lost fat everywhere else first.

(Brian) #5

The pounds don’t get deposited proportionally for most of us and it won’t come off that way either. Different body types do react differently but the belly fat is some of the most stubborn for some of us.

You’re definitely going in the right direction with your descriptions and the belly WILL eventually reduce if you keep going. And it may happen what seems like suddenly, as in, “nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, down 2 inches”. My scale tends to do similar things.

These bodies we live in are some complicated places to live and sometimes make us scratch the top of 'em wondering what’s going on in there. :smiley:

Hang in there!

(Erik) #6

Thanx for the replies.

Anecdotally, when I lost a lot of weight in the past on a calorie restricted diet it was the reverse-the scale victories followed the waist measurement victories.

So weird.

(Pete A) #7

That is weird.

(Tessy M.) #8

I was listening just yesterday to the Obesity Code podcast, and forgive me that I don’t recall which episode I was listening to, possibly Sugar, Sugar, Everywhere, and they discussed this. If you haven’t listened to these podcasts, they’re great!
What they said was that men often see the scale number drop, but stubborn belly fat not going anywhere. And, women don’t see the scale drop but have inches coming off. It was attributed to the difference in how women and men use HGH (I believe).

(Cindy Picard) #9

Happened to my husband too. The belly fat is the last to go. He is down to a healthy weight but still has fat around the middle. We are doing a lot of extended fasts to get it off and we can finally see it going. He lost it everywhere else first. And don’t worry about the loose skin, fasting takes care of it. Especially once you progress to extended fasting.

(Pete A) #10

Tell your husband us skinny fat guys need to stick together! And time for regular ab exercises. :man:

(Cindy Picard) #11

I am ahead of you there. He just had surgery and we have an ab workout planned as soon as he gets to the 6 week mark and the restriction about lifting is gone!

(Sarah ) #12

There are structural issues too, all the other stuff thatspacked into that area could be part of the problem. You might want to consider seeing a physical therapist and working on a specific strengthening program, it could be things are literally needing muscular lift

(Cindy Picard) #13

He had the therapy before the surgery and has specific exercises to do for now. At the 6 week mark he gets to add in the ab exercises.

(Todd Allen) #14

Consider resistance/weight training to minimize the percent of weight loss that might be due to muscle loss.

(charlie3) #15

I’m new to keto as in weeks. Most people would say I don’t have a weight problem, 5’9", 160 lbs, 34" waist. Waist measurement and the mirror are my only measurements. What I see now is not good enough. As a fit young man I had a 31" waist. Thanks to keto and going back to lifting I intend to get back that waist size and stay the same weight or gain a little depending on how much muscle comes my way. So far I’m loving the keto thing but I’ll finally have to do some cooking.