Weighing Daily

I have found, for myself, that weighing daily is a way to keep on track. If I am up a pound I can adjust my day to get back where I should be. As for fasting I will fast about once a week for a 24 hour period only drinking water and coffee. Anyway, I LIKE weighing daily. What’s your thoughts?

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

I weigh daily and I have since starting Keto a year ago. I like to see the data :woman_shrugging:t4:

Do what works for you

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

I did for awhile then I hit a stall and it was depressing. Stall is long gone and I weight a few times a week. I dont chart it. Just write it down with my BP reading. I try to weight myself when I am fasting daily so I can draw a mental picture of fasting weight loss versus refed weight.

(John) #4

For some people it helps with motivation, for others it appears to be a hindrance.

In general, I weigh myself in the morning most days when I first get up, after using the bathroom but before eating or drinking.

My weight can fluctuate up or down in about a 4 pound range during a week, with Thursday or Friday morning usually being the low point, and Monday being the high point.

I use that Monday morning reading as my “official” weekly weight. The others are more a point of interest but I don’t record them.

I should also add that I use an old analog “needle” scale on a hardwood floor, so the readings are a little fuzzy anyway.

I am not so much worried about whether I weigh 209.3 or 208.5 at any given time. What I like to know is that I am consistently between 210 and 205 instead of consistently between 215 and 210. So it is really when those weekly 4-pound swings are between a new set of 5-pound markers on the scales, that I feel I have made some progress.

(Susan) #5

I do not weigh myself daily as I get too depressed; and then was wanting to fast more then eat, and only eat like 500 calories on the days I was eating and my body went into starvation mode and I didn’t lose any weight for over 2 months, so it doesn’t work for me to weigh more than once a week. I think it all depends on the person, what works for them =).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I would suggest lightening up on your weight tolerance. One pint of water weighs a pound. Also what food is currently in your digestive track and probably the air in your lungs!
:joy::joy::grin: I weight most days too but I am easier on myself than you are. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Joey) #7

I confess that (tho’ I admonish folks not to) I do often step on the scale when I pass by. In doing so, I see my weight typically gyrates as much as +/- 2lbs (about a kilo) throughout the day.

It seems to depend on fluids, pre- vs post-meals, exercise, bladder, and whatever other random things might be going on.

In fact, maybe I can find some associative correlation with something like, say, the latest political polls, petroleum prices, or daily temperatures … and then draw some compelling conclusions, you know, like epidemiologists do?

Breaking News … SomeGuy’s weight believed to be driving the global currency markets! … details at 7pm!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

More to the point, what are your clothes doing? Suppose you put on a bit of muscle, while losing an equivalent weight of fat—the scale won’t move, but your waistline might decrease. And if you are up a pound over yesterday, how do you know how much extra to eat today to get your metabolism to increase and burn off that pound?

And suppose it’s just water weight from a few grams’ worth of extra carbohydrate? Burn off the extra glucose, and the water will go with it. Is it worth worrying about?

('Jackie P') #9

Haha! I confess to being a scales addict! It’s like a step aerobics class in my bedroom sometimes!
Also I always take a deep breath before I step on, maybe I think I will turn myself into a human balloon and float up a little!
Joking aside, my weight loss stalled but I continue to get smaller! This is the pure joy of this WOE!
I am currently a little too happy with 26lbs to go! But tbh I look like I only have 14lbs to go!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #10

I weigh myself most days. I have a 4lb ‘window’ weight range that I like to be within. And I like to know where I am within that window on a regular basis, and which way the number is heading, so that I can take any steps necessary to stay in my window.

I call it my ‘add more cheese or eat less cheese?’ equation. The scales are really handy to keep on track.

The last time I answered a thread that asked this question I had never owned a scale and didn’t really trust it as a way of tracking (though I love numbers and I take measurements regularly).

But since then I’ve bought a scale and I weigh every morning! I’m actually having fun using it to track and I find the fluctuations interesting. I’m also down something like 15 pounds since starting the daily weighing a month or so ago, partly because I decided to kick up my fasting/IF but also because the daily feedback is definitely a helpful guide (fluctuations notwithstanding).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

That’s the real question, innit? Would you rather stay the same weight and look 26 pounds lighter, or lose the poundage and look as though you haven’t lost anything?

If the fat loss is compensated for by an equivalent weight in extra muscle and stronger bones, I know which way I’m going to vote. :grin:

(Scott) #13

Several years ago I got a WiFi logging scale. I weigh right when I wake up and never get on again until the next morning. I may note that it is up or down but think little of it, it is just a data point. Now that I have years of data I can step back to see the trends. I have two favorites 1) when I lost 53 pounds via caloric deficit only to see 30 pounds immediately start coming back on. 2) The day I started keto and the steady decline in weight since. I am at 27 pounds off that last high but have been maintaining my loss much longer than when restricting. My low on that plan lasted a day.

(Hannah Conway) #14

How do you go a full 24 hours without eating anything? If I don’t eat something by noon or 1 at the latest I’m light-headed and ready to pass ou, the world around me becomes really fuzzy and i cant remember most of the day

(Tammy) #15

I weigh a few times a week. I only record a “new” low. I know your weight goes up/down, but weigh anyway!

(John) #16

If you are interested in the topic of Fasting, there is a whole sub-forum here for it:
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/fast

In general, you just skip 2 meals in a row, don’t snack and only drink non-caloric beverages. So finish dinner one night at say 6:30 PM, and don’t eat until dinner the next day at 6:30 PM.

It is not required. Some people choose to incorporate fasting in their eating patterns, others do not.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

I weigh daily, but the app I use to track has a moving daily average that smoothes out the line, and then dots to indicate recorded weight. I care far more about the line than the dots. Not that a high weight won’t upset me or a low weight won’t excite me. But the line is helpful in keeping those emotions smoothed out as well. Up a pound in a day is meaningless. An average weight up a pound over a week may mean you need to examine what you are doing. But even then, if you are on track with the food, just keep going.

But as others have said, my way isn’t the only way, it is only my way.

Once you’ve been keto for longer this won’t seem so odd! Many folks fast on purpose, but you’ll see lots of keto people say that they accidentally did their first 24-hour fast because they just forgot to eat!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

Haven’t you ever had to not eat before a medical procedure? It’s really not that hard. If you’re just starting KETO after being high carb I can see why it seems difficult, but as you get used to using fat as fuel it’s much easier. Work up to it by limiting the hours that you eat per day. Say between 10am-6pm for a start. Learn about using Intermittent fasting before trying to skip a whole day, first eliminate snacking. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Scott) #20

When I was a carb burn this was likely not possible. On keto I sometimes skip a breakfast on the weekend but for the most part I am a three a day with no snacking. That said when prepping for my Colonoscopy I ended up doing a 40 hour fast not counting my scotch which I made a judgement call as a “clear” liquid. I would not have thought this was possible years ago. It wasn’t bad at all but I do remember feeling very cold.