Weighing Daily

(Tammy) #21

The hunger waves will go away if you don’t eat.

I’ll go 24-48 hours on a work day, so I’m busy and let the waves go. I also put HWC (heavy whipping cream) in my drink, I feel that helps. I know I should stop that, but for weight loss, it’s acceptable to do.

If you don’t feel well, you need to stop and try again. Did you eat a good fat filled meal the night before?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

It becomes easier, once one is fat-adapted. What happens to a lot of people is that they start skipping one meal a day, because they just aren’t hungry, and eventually they might get to the point where they forget to eat and realize they’ve been fasting.

If you are getting lightheaded from hunger, then you aren’t eating enough in your meals. Try this: don’t eat if you’re not hungry. When you become hungry, eat until you stop being hungry again, and don’t eat again until you get hungry again. If you find yourself needing a snack, eat something fat-laden, and eat more at the next meal. If you deprive your body of the calories it needs, it will slow down your metabolism to compensate. If you give your body plenty of calories, it will rev up and start using energy hand over fist. It will also adjust your appetite to allow energy to come from both your food and from your store of fat.

I thought I had already explained this earlier in this thread. Guess I forgot, sorry!

(BuckRimfire) #24

On high carb, I was like you. I was starving 4 hours after breakfast. Soon, maybe in a week or three, you should find that skipping lunch is possible. I still eat lunch most days, but often just a few ounces of cheese and/or nuts.

I have been low-carb for a little over a year, but not religiously (we have a cheat meal once or twice a month). A couple of weeks ago, we (wife and I) started 5:2 eating, not eating on Monday and Thursday except for 200 calories of coconut oil and cream in tea in the morning. After not eating anything but that for 33 hours, each time I’ve woken up and been amazed that I felt like I could go many more hours without eating. I’ve been less hungry than I was the previous afternoon. It’s quite odd.

So, stick with it for a while, and you’ll find you can do it, too!

(Hannah Conway) #25

I’ve only ever had one medical procedure and I just couldn’t eat after midnight so it wasn’t really a big deal. I’ve always had trouble with my blood sugar so I always made sure I eat frequently

(Bob M) #26

Have you ever considered that you have trouble with your blood sugar because you eat frequently?

So, am I the only one who does not weigh himself (or herself)?

(Hannah Conway) #27

Ive never considered that. Im trying to do the 18/6 think but then im hungry before bed so ot doesnt work for me. Its only 930 and im already light headed, have a headache, my concentration is slipping and my stomach has been growlong non stop fpr the past hour.

(BuckRimfire) #28

What, exactly, are you eating for brekkie?

(Hannah Conway) #29

Yes.you probably have mentioned this before. I ate a thousand calories for dinner yesterday around 3 and then by 8 I was hungry again so I had a small snack and this morning I woke up starving. For dinner i forced myaelf to eat eggs which i added bacon,collard greens and cheese. With that i had a chicken drumstick and 2 servngs of almonds. Even after all that i was hungry at 8 again.

(Hannah Conway) #30

Leftovers from dinner usually.

(Jeff S) #31

This is a very interesting topic to me because I have been thinking about it a lot. I hesitate to post this because I don’t have a weight problem like a lot of people here do, so I’m sure some folks will roll their eyes and think “I wish I had that problem”. But I think there is a common thread here for all of us.

I’m doing keto for health, not for weight. I was maybe 10 or 13 pounds “over” weight when I started, and I lost that pretty quickly. I’m 58 and started at 136 lbs. I was excited when I hit my high school weight of 125 and even more excited when I dropped below that. I hover now around 124. I’ve gone as low as 123, and I don’t want to go lower.

But I have to admit I don’t like going up at all from one day to the next. I have not hit 125 from below yet, but I know I will be disappointed if/when I do. I hate going from 123 to 124 because it is the “wrong” direction. And that’s making me think checking the scale every day is a little unhealthy mentally.

And yet I feel compelled to weigh myself daily. I want the sanity check, the confirmation that I’m still doing things right.

I fully understand intellectually that a pound or two fluctuation is normal due to hydration, digestive tract status, etc. But that doesn’t change the intense feeling of compulsion to check and the fear of the number going up.

(Bob M) #32

Maybe weekly would be better for you?

I stopped using the scale because I had DEXA scans done, and over the course of a year, I gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost about 6 pounds of fat, for a total scale difference of a whopping 2 pounds. And when I fast longer than a day, I can easily lose 5 pounds of scale weight. For me, the “noise” of daily scale fluctuations outweighs any benefit.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

Probably. But we love you anyway. :grin:

(Raj Seth) #34

Maybe that snack is the problem. The general advice (Fung) is that if you are hungry, then eat. Since eating has an insulin and mTor response, if you’re gonna eat - make it worth it. turn that snack into a meal.
Don’t count calories. Eat enough i.e. eat to satiety. let the body do its thing and feel it is living in a time of plenty - then the body will be more willing to deplete its doomsday scenario fat reserves.

Maybe eliminate nuts altogether - they are many a Ketoer’s kryptonite

(Bob M) #35

I’m glad someone loves me! :wink:

(Bob M) #36

It appears I quit right after I got my last DEXA scan done, this is the last entry (2+ years ago):

I’m at least 10 pounds lighter than I was then and much stronger too. I’m about to go out an buy new belts and pants because they are too big. But you can see that fasting causes 4+ pounds of scale loss in a single day, with a very quick spring back to where I was before fasting.

Given that I’m “only” about another 10 pounds or so lighter than I was then in two years, the scale just adds a level of complexity/worthlessness/etc. for me. If you’re one of those people who lose 100 pounds in a year, it would be worthwhile.

(Hannah Conway) #37

I wasnt hungry enough for a full meal i was just craving dark chocolate in a BAD way so i had a little bit and then i felt completely full again. I thought with keto and eating all this fat My Sweet Tooth for dark chocolate would subside but so far I month later it still hasn’t.

(Charlotte) #38

I weigh daily. I find it very helpful when I am finding myself in need of minor corrections. Especially if I fall off the wagon and I see those numbers start to creep up and it usually helps me regain control. I have also weighed daily since starting keto and I do love looking at the graph falling.

For me, weighing daily is an indication of obsessing over scale movements. The only time I weighed daily (over the period of a week) was to monitor a serious edema crisis and stopped once that was over. I don’t plan on weighing again until the end of October.

As long as you are keeping it keto, the scale moves eventually. I think I spend more time making sure I am keeping it keto, over checking my weight. Understandably, there may be a desire to weigh if one has not been strictly keto and want to check the “damage” .

(Marianne) #40

Great advice.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #41

This was my problem for quite a while. I was hungry for that piece of dark chocolate before bed, around 8 pm. And I ate it, for months. I realized I was eating dinner way too early. If I put it off for a couple of hours (between 6-7, instead of 4:30) I don’t have a snack before bed. I haven’t bought chocolate for weeks now. I have also figured out that I am thirsty and eating a piece of chocolate makes drinking a tumbler of water super satisfying. It’s hard to do otherwise, for some reason. Sometimes having an herbal tea (Sleepytime is my favorite) does the trick and no chocolate snack wanted after that.