Week of Work Travel

fasting
travel

I’ve been doing 22/2 or 20/4 IF for about a month now and I love it. It’s awesome. But I’m struggling with what to do about my travel. It will be 6 days total and as I’ve been looking in the “keto in the wild” section, I see a lot more fails than wins. So I am reluctant to base all my food on eating out. Does anyone have any advice? Or had to deal with this dilemma?

(Jennifer) #2

What are you worried about? Eating out or not finding things to eat at the local grocery stores? I have a ten day trip planned for August. It is a software go-live and I will be in a war room with tons of crap all day. And it will probably be stressful if everything doesn’t go perfectly.

I am planning on taking enough food with me so I don’t get tempted. Nuts, olives, jerky, baby bel cheese, etc. eating out is actually pretty easy. Most places have burgers (bun less) and salads.with a protein and full fat dressing.

Mainly about not going over protein. I’m pretty big still with a low protein limit, so I need basically a ratio of around 2.5 fat/protein. Like I said, I’ve never tried doing travel for this long (2-3 day trips are easier b/c I can bring a lot of my food). Being tempted isn’t a real problem for me, it will mainly just be me doing work on my own. Finding items with that high of fat to protein ratio is what has me worried.

(Jennifer) #4

Just ask for an additional fat with the meal. Butter, mayo, cheese, and avocado are good add ins. Olives are fat and fiber and a great snack.

For example - when even I get a bun less burger - it usually has cheese, bacon, avacado and mayo to keep the ratios.

(Ren) #5

If you go over your protein limit for a few days it isn’t going to kill you. If you are worried about it, track what you order out, most chain restaurants have their nutrition for dishes on their websites. if you eat at a non chain restaurant that doesn’t have nutrition publisized keep your food ordering simple. Meat, veggies, salad and add fats to that such as butter, mayo, cheese, oil&vinegar.

You got this!

Thanks for the helpful comments birddog and Aawa. I may just be over thinking this!

(Jennifer) #7

And don’t forget, you could use fasting at those times when there aren’t as many keto options as you would like. :slight_smile:

(Carey) #8

Hey there I travel every week and I have a few tricks that work for me.
-I stop by the grocery when I get to town to pick up a brick of Kerrygold or similar for my coffee and any meals I eat in room
-I buy travel packs of macadamia nut oil or olive oil from Dropanfbomb.com. This gets me travel sized doses of healthy oils that I can put on my salads/veggies instead of the restaurants’ evil salad dressing. They also have packs of portable coconut oil

• I buy guacamole packs and pork rinds for my meal if there are not keto options available.
  • you can make nearly any entree work if you go bunless or riceless or fryless!

You can do it and it only takes a bit of planning but not overwhelming amounts of it. I am still losing .5-1.0 lbs per week on the road doing IF and packing my portable fats

That’s a very good idea LCHF_milehigh on buying foods there. I was under the mindset of either eating out or bringing food. You gave me a great thought. I can bring a portable electric hot plate and camping frying pan with me. This mixed with access to any store should open up all manner of options!

I work alone for almost all of my trips, so there is no need to try and fit in having dinners out or anything. I loved your other ideas too! Thanks!

(Doug) #10

Hey Joshua. :slight_smile: Traveled a lot since 1978 here, almost all the time for work since 1985, and yeah, it can be tough. Yet I think you’ll be fine - being alone and not too subject to temptation is about 95% of the battle, in my hardly humble but not malicious opinion. If anything, having the determination not to “take the easy way out” to our detriment, to plan our eating and work that plan is what remains, just doing what we need to do. Usually have refrigerators and microwaves in my hotel rooms, and yesterday I bought a big hunk of cheese and a pre-cooked, Cajun-spiced turkey breast, and that did me for two days, quite satisfactorily.

(Carey) #11

So glad to hear it helped Joshua1. Sounds like your travel situation is far more ideal than most for keeping calm and ketoing in! :nerd_face:

(Carey) #12

Checkin in on ya. How’s goes the travel?

Flying back now. It worked out perfectly! I brought my electric stove and a pan (thanks to southwest allowing two checked bags). I brought with me almond buns. I went to wal-mart and bought some frozen pure beef patties, bacon, mayo and mustard. Made a single burger with all that. I was able to keep keto and IF. A little tired of burgers now (had 4 in 4 days), but other than that it was perfect.

Thanks all for the advice!

(Carey) #14

Way to go! You nailed it man. Now you know you can do it and next time you can experiment more so you don’t get bored!

(Keto in Katy) #15

It’s a software deployment, what could go wrong? :man_shrugging:

Fellow tech guy here… been there, good luck!