We have our blood ketone numbers - now what?

Hi! Sorry, this may be long but I’m new here and new to keto! My husband and I have been searching and could use some help. We’re only 10 days in and are tracking our macros religiously w/the Carb Manager app. We used urine strips for the first week since they’re fairly cheap, and mine kept coming up at almost the darkest color. We know they aren’t as accurate, especially after a while, and got a Keto Mojo yesterday. We don’t plan to be OCD about it, but we want to at least know how we’re doing, especially in the beginning and/or if we fall off the keto wagon at some point. We plan to be good about it and not drink for 2-3 months, but can see upping carbs and having a drink or two if we go on vacation - things like that.

Anyway, my first blood test came in at 2.6 last night and I was 2.4 this morning, so I’m happy where I’m at. I’ve had keto breath for 2-3 days and am starting to feel “normal” - like I’m past the worst of the keto flu. My husband tested for the first time this morning and came back at .8 - he hoped he’d be higher & we’ve heard that optimal is anywhere from 1 or 1.5 to 3.5 up to 5. We know everyone’s different, but what we’re having trouble finding is if, when, & how you need to adjust something. We have our blood test numbers, so now what? And how often should we test? What do we DO with those numbers? I feel like I’m good and don’t need to change anything. But my husband still feels super-tired and keeps finding conflicting info on how many calories he should be eating. Maybe he’ll just take longer to get fully adapted? Is there a good resource, podcast, website… anything that goes into what you should do based on your blood ketone numbers, if anything? When do you start adjusting protein, calories, etc? How do you piece this whole puzzle together? LOL

FYI - we’re both 47, I’m 5’6" 140 lbs and have Hashimoto’s. I need to lose about 15 pounds. My hubby is 5’9" 205 lbs and needs to lose about 25 lbs. We’re both doing this for the overall lifestyle, energy, and health effects, so it’s not just about weight loss. I’m currently aiming for 1400 calories, 18g carbs, 117g fat, 69g protein (5/75/20%). My husband is shooting for 2000 calories currently and roughly the same percentages. No idea if that’s correct for him. Thanks!!

Everybody’s in ketosis. All is going well. There is nothing more you need to do but sit back and enjoy the ride :slight_smile: Seriously, you’re doing super. Your body might already be healing but that seems to come first, then the adaptation and weight loss follow. I feel super but haven’t lost a pound because I’m not adapted yet so my hunger is still there and I eat when I’m hungry. A lot. Of fat. It’s scary how much fat I eat! But I haven’t GAINED any weight, either, because I’m waiting until hungry and stopping when full
You’ll get to the point (and me,too) where you’re fat adapted and not as hungry. Then? GAME ON

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

So, tell your husband to relax. He should not even give calories another thought. Listen to your body and what it’s telling you. If your hungry…eat something fatty. If your not hungry, don’t eat. Not even out of boredom. BK levels vary depending on hydration and activity levels and more stuff than I can even think of. Not everyone is the same. Nutritional ketosis is anywhere between .5 - 3.5, he’s there and should be happy. KCKO

Thanks! I totally relate to “scary how much fat I eat!” LOL This diet feels so “wrong” after all the years of “programming” about what’s healthy, eat low-fat, and all that. We understand the science of why this works and we’re all-in on this, but my brain keeps going - WTH are you doing?!?! LMAO Ok, we’ll just relax, keep an eye on our numbers occasionally and keep doing what we’re doing. Thanks again!

(Vivienne Clampitt) #5

I have just started my Keto journey properly this week, going well apart from Keto flu! But like you the diet does seem wrong and I have to really think hard to not be afraid to add fat to my food. I am getting better, but some funny looks last night when I ate out and asked for no dressings but butter for my steak and olive oil for my salad! :smile:

(Marty Kendall) #6

This article looks at typical and optimal ketone levels for people practicing nutritional ketosis.

(Stacy) #7

Ok. I have been on Keto for 30 days today. I was so fatigued that I couldn’t even walk around the block. That’s when I read about K+, NaCl, and Mag and drinking a lot of water. That HELPED but I was still so fatigued that I could only sit around. I haven’t exercised during this whole time. Other than falling off BAD last weekend, my carbs are < 10 net a day. Last weekend I binged on carbs! Anyway, I too also got a ketone meter and used it for the 1st time tonight and it read 1.0. I have lost about 5 lbs is all and I am super concerned that this adaptation is going to take me longer than most. Like the OP, my thinking is that if the ketone meter is higher, I will be farther along on my journey.

(Ron) #8

Fat adaption typically takes 6 to 8 weeks for most (took me 10) . High ketones readings on the meter are not a means to determine your level of adaption.
When you are in ketosis (that can be any morning after sleeping all night) your body is producing ketones, but if you are not yet fully adapted it hasn’t completely figured out how to convert them to energy. The result is you end up urinating them out and even though the blood is absorbing some of them, converting them to energy is still inefficient. This is why people see high readings with the sticks as well as blood meters during the adaption process. As your body learns how to do this better usually the color of the sticks will get lighter and the meter readings will show lower numbers indicating utilization for energy. Being longer adapted eventually allows the system to determine a personal scale that you will learn. This is an everyone is different thing.

You might find this informative.

PS - you might also be potassium deficient so eat more spinach or higher potassium foods.

(Jay AM) #9

Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes. Even with supplementation, you might need more sodium especially. If you are below 5000 mg a day of sodium, try upping it some. Make sure you aren’t restricting calories, and make sure a big part of your calories come from fat.

(Stacy) #10

Really discouraged - 6 wks of <10 carbs and no weight loss. I cheated one weekend is all. I think it is from all the calories in the fat! I don’t know…

I have not done the diet the way it is recommended so I am going to try and do it one more time. One month. If its still this hard (lack of energy) I will go back to counting calories. So - what I have been doing that I will stop:

1. eating sugar free candy because I can not go without sweets!
  2. No more diet soda (the hardest of all)
  3. upping the water intake (crystal light?)
  4. Potassium, sodium, mag supplementation
  5. Walking briskly for 20 minutes daily
  6. figure out how much of my diet is fat, protein, carb etc.

(Jay AM) #11

Can you please create a new topic in the newbie section with your age, height, weight, average macros (in grams if you have them), average calories and a food list example for a day or two of meals? This will help us help you hack into your info and get you back to it properly. While CICO might work for short term weight loss, it’s also excellent for causing metabolic damage and reducing your BMR. Lower BMR means no more weight loss until you restrict calories more. Eventually it’s unsustainable and you have to eat more and gain weight back. We can argue that anorexics (an extreme example of calorie restricting) are thin but not healthy. And, no, calories from fat aren’t why you’re struggling here. Maltitol from sugar free candy could be though. I’m not saying give up sweets but, better options are definitely available that won’t cause blood sugar and insulin problems.

(Stacy) #12

What do you want me to name my new topic? I will do as you said. CICO?

I had been buying the Atkins Endulge candies but found that I could buy Russell Stover Sugar Free at a FRACTION of the cost and still 1g net carb… but yes, it says MALITOL on it

(Jay AM) #13

CICO means calories in, calories out. Name your topic anything you’d like. And yeah, maltitol is kind of a sneaky devil in all the sugar free stuff.

(Stacy) #14

J_A-M - I am having a bloody time of trying to post a new topic. I get it written out and at the bottom, it says “create a new topic” and I click on that and nothing happens! Its making me crazy! I have been trying to post the new topic you asked for since your last reply above!

(Stacy) #15

I give up. It didn’t save the post i had written up. Ill try again tomorow~

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

Go to newbies. Click on “new topic” at right. Type your post, and then click on “create topic” at bottom.

(Stacy) #17

Exactly what I did… Nothing happens. I will try it again.

(Stacy) #18

OK. A little bit different than what you instructed, which is what I did.

You need to go to the homepage (https://www.ketogenicforums.com/)
Click on “New Topic”
THEN you can select “newbies” in the drop down… and that worked great