Water Fasting

(S Radhakrishnan) #1

After doing quite a bit of research and watching a lot of Jason Fung videos on YouTube I have come to the conclusion that (for me) the best type of fasting is a water fast, that is taking in only 0 calorie liquids. Juice fast, fruit fast, dry fast and other kinds of fasts I haven’t yet heard of aren’t quite suitable for me. Over the past two months I have been doing intermittent fasting every day and 48-hour fasts once a week and this has done wonders for my diabetes (the doctor knocked off one of my meds) and BP ( I still take the meds but hope to come off it gradually). My weight too is coming down gradually, I am off statins and my blood work has improved considerably. I am not yet on a ketogenic diet but have lowered my carb intake a great deal. In time I hope to go on longer water only fasts of upto 7 or 10 days, perhaps every quarter, while continuing my 8:16 intermittent fasting.
I have switched from coffee to green tea and all kinds of herbal teas but what helps me best to stave off the occasional hunger pangs is ginger tea with a bit of lime juice. I am also planning to experiment with apple cider vinegar. But my mainstay despite the teas is plain water boiled with whatever herbs I have at hand like cumin seeds for instance.