Water Fasting Plateaus

(b18709d81df4c98efa36) #1

Is it normal to plateau while on a water fast? Has anyone experienced this? What can I do to break it?

(Allan L) #2

Maybe a little more information would help.

How long have you been fasting? You say plateau, but are you referring to 24 hrs or 24 days?

Not losing weight daily is very normal, either when fasting or not.

(Tim W) #3

Like Allan said, more info would help.

How long are you fasting? It’s not uncommon to gain weight on a longer water fast, it’s due to hormonal changes, weather changes, level of exertion etc…

Have also gone 4-5 days on a water fast with zero drop in weight, only to drop 8 pounds in one night…

So, what’s your situation?

(Allan L) #4

I believe they call that a “whoosh”? Something to do with water in the fat cells that the body finally lets go?

Can’t say I have researched it much because daily scale movements is something I stopped focusing on a long time ago for my own mental sanity.

(Tim W) #5

Same here, we tracked weight closely last year, on our long fasts. Since then, I use the mirror and pants fit to decide if I need to make a dietary change.

(b18709d81df4c98efa36) #6

I’m on day 12 and thank God the scale finally moved.

(Jeanne Wagner) #7

Well then, maybe that helps me too. Was on a 4 day 18 hr water fast and nary a pound was lost. Then i quickly gained 10 lbs the week afterwards, and I was still eating <20 total carbs a day. I’m now down to 0 - 10 carbs a day dammit. Making sure the ketones are moving freely. Perhaps it’s just going to be damage repair for a while… there sure is a lot to repair.