Water and Pooping

(Andy Hanson) #1

I tried an extended fast not too long ago. Was shooting for 40 days and failed miserably. After five days of running to the bathroom constantly and pooping water I became dehydrated.

When is fasting diarrhea considered excessive? How much water should I be drinking?

(Chris) #2

Not sure what excessive is, but diarrhea is common while fasting. As far as how much water, that varies by the person and definitely by electrolyte supplementation. Too much water flushes you out, not enough obviously causes dehydration. Tough call.

(VLC.MD) #3

Fasting diarrhea ?
No mention of diarrhea in Dr Fungs great fasting book. Except that magnesium and Metformin can cause it. Are you using ketoade ?

I have this issue also. On the original Fasting Talk podcast, Megan Ramos suggested mixing a Tablespoon or 2 of chia seed with a little warm water, stir, and drink when the chia seed has absorbed the water (a few minutes). It’s gross, but has worked for me. Obviously this (technically) breaks the fast, but it allows me to fast for 5-10 days instead of stopping at 2-3 days d/t disaster pants, so it is worth while to me. YMMV, good luck!

(VLC.MD) #5

Cool idea. After a few minutes the chia seeds must only be slightly bigger. When I put them in the fridge overnight in coconut milk … by the morning they are huge !

(Andy Hanson) #6

Right. I’m reading that book for the second time and didn’t hear any mention of diarrhea. I’m supplementing a bit with electrolytes, but not even close to my max. I think the stuff I use says you can take four servings a day, and I’ve only been using one. I’m not diabetic and don’t take Metformin.

(Andy Hanson) #7

Yeah, I think I heard her talk about that as well. I really want to fast for autophagy. Wouldn’t the chia seeds stop that? :cry:

(VLC.MD) #8

I’d try Imodium … simple OTC treatment … take twice a day to start.

(Chris) #9

Every time I’ve heard his coworker Megan speak, it’s come up.

(VLC.MD) #10

He should have consulted her more during the writing of the book :+1:

I did a 3 day water fast two weeks after a 12 day fast. I am 4 days post fast and my stools are pencil thin. I don’t have abdominal pain, but my bowel movements are small, thin and several per day. I pooped a lot during the fast. Any comments? Thanks.