Watch out for won-ton soup broth from the local Chinese restaurant!

(carl) #1

My wife and I started a 3 day fast yesterday. Blood sugar and ketones were rocking all day. Around 6PM we decided to have some broth. She gets chicken broth from the local wokery. An hour later we both had a blood sugar spike. This morning I woke up - after 36 hours fasted with a blood sugar of 145!

I tested the soup itself with my glucose meter and it read 22! If there was no glucose in that soup, the meter would have read “Lo”

Thinking about it for a bit, all those wontons dissolving their flour into the soup is probably the culprit. I can’t imagine they would add sugar to broth.

Moral of the story: cooking your own food is critical to keto success!

(Christy) #2

There was a similar question on the board not too long ago. I had the same sentiment. Thanks for the info!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Chinese food is notorious for containing a great deal of both sugar and salt, since the two flavors counteract each other.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Chinese soup broth is usually seasoned with salt, sugar, white pepper and msg. Usually about 1 part sugar to 3 parts salt to balance and expand the flavors. I cooked Chinese food for a living in 4 restaurants and they all added sugar to soup broths. Sorry! The uneaten won tons weren’t the real culprit. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Christy) #5

Hmmmmm :thinking:

(Khara) #6

How did you test the soup with your glucose meter? Did you put a drop of liquid where the drop of blood goes?
Anyway, thanks for the confirmation. I always did have suspicions about seemingly safe broths. You too @David_Stilley

(less is more, more or less) #7

Amen. Of course, I have my own similar story.

My non-low-carb wife was in the mood for dumplings. She’s been super-supportive of my way of eating, so I happily looked the menu over for what I could eat. She’s been craving dumplings, and this place has a good reputation. I cross-referenced the meals against generic recipes online. For example, here’s a recipe for won-ton soup.

Which macros as follows:

Nutrition Facts

Total Fat 4 g 6 %

Saturated Fat 1 g 5 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g

Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5 %

Dietary Fiber 1 g 2 %
Sugars 2 g

Protein 12 g 24 %

I’d sure try to avoid something that consumes 75% of my daily total carbs.

Wanting to score some husband points, I reviewed “Mr. Dumplings” menu to find the most accommodating meal, which seemed to be "Steamed fish fillet in Nappa with Chili” I asked the wait staff if there was flour or sugar in the broth. I wish you could have seen the head-titled response. He dashed to the kitchen and later assured me there wasn’t.

The fish portion was generous, but, heck, the portion was generous. It reminded me of a B Kliban book from way-back:

I digress. I ate my bowl, and it was all quite delicious. However, I paid for it later. The broth had a peculiar effect on me. It was hard to describe but suffice it to say it was the most uncomfortable I’d been since going on this WoE. I lack a glucose meter but I knew something was right.

Saturday mornings, my weight is always the lowest for the week. Not the following Saturday morning. I was up 4 - 5 pounds. I am confident it was water weight from whatever was in the broth. I have no proof but their assurance felt empty.

Meanwhile, my wife loved the restaurant. Next Friday, I did a simple N=1. I only ate fish. Everything else I skipped. I left a bucket of “leftover” food which I avoided, quite untempted. My next Saturday morning was as it should be.

Live and learn, KCKO.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

I don’t know why you cannot imagine that. Asian dishes add a lot of unexpected sugar.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

That is why I don’t eat at my favorite pho shop anymore. Asian dishes often have lots of sugar added to them. I do my own broths now. An instant pot is great for doing that.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Listen to the students schooling the master! :grin::joy::rofl::cowboy_hat_face: