Washington Times article on Keto for improved diving performance

news

(Zach) #1

Pentagon eyes controversial diet in bid to build more lethal

“One of the effects of truly being in ketosis is that it changes the way your body handles oxygen deprivation, so you can actually stay underwater at [deeper] depths for longer periods of time and not go into oxygen seizures,” Lisa Sanders, director of science and technology at U.S. Special Operations Command, said at a high-level defense industry conference in Tampa late last month.

They focus on diving and call it “controversial” over and over. Still, Keto is getting some exposure.

DoD Catching On!?
(Carl Keller) #2

Well this interesting. I’ve always been terrible at holding my breath under water. Doing so for over a minute was an accomplishment for me. I’m curious if I can do this longer now.

(Zach) #3

I found it strange that they latched on to that aspect. What about the ability to fast, reducing obesity, more energy, etc? Nope, Keto is good for diving!

(Carl Keller) #4

LOL. I just did a little test sitting here at my computer and held my breath for 1 minute 30 seconds. The 20 year younger version of me couldn’t go that long. :fish:

(John) #5

Great - they are going to weaponize our way of eating.

Pentagon will buy up all of the best steaks and we won’t be able to afford them. Not that I can afford $22 a pound steaks as it is.

(Zach) #6

As long as they don’t commandeer the strategic bacon silos…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Tougher more fit soldiers with the ability to go without food if necessary during battle. Less weight control issues. Better special forces. More healthy soldiers with less potential health issues. Quicker recovery from wounds. I think it should be encouraged strongly. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Karim Wassef) #8

Actually, navy seals have been experimenting for years with exogenous ketones for enhanced performance.

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/low-carb-ketogenic-diet-podcasts/deep-dive-ketosis-navy-seals-extreme-athletes-busy-executives-can-enhance-physical-mental-performance-secret-weapon-ketone-fuel/

Also, he works with ketones and hyperbaric oxygen for cancer patients.

(Bunny) #10

How about killing cancer instead of peeps?

Dr. Robert Rowan says, “Warburg emphasized that you can’t make a cell ferment unless a LACK OF OXYGEN is involved. In 1955, two American scientists, R.A. Malmgren and C.C. Flanigan, confirmed Warburg’s findings. They found that oxygen deficiency is ALWAYS present when cancer develops.”

“…We can literally force mitochondria to become active again and use the Krebs Cycle for energy if we ram enough oxygen into the cells. This process, called Anti-Inflammatory Oxygen Therapy, rockets oxygen into cancer cells so they stop being cancerous (anaerobic) and regain apoptosis, their programmable cell death. If you put enough oxygen into a cancer cell it will turn on the Krebs Cycle (the mitochondria) and this reignites the program for cell death.[2] …”

“…Aerobic cellular respiration does require 6 molecules of oxygen for every molecule of glucose. The chemical formula is 6O2 + C6H12O6 —> 6CO2 + 6H2O + ATP energy. The three-carbon sugar, known as pyruvate, and NADH are shuttled to the Krebs Cycle to create more ATP under aerobic conditions. If no oxygen is present, pyruvate is not allowed to enter the Krebs cycle and it is further oxidized to produce lactic acid.…”

“…One of the main reasons cells lose oxygen is excessive sugar intake. We also know that poisons, preservatives, radiation, or other carcinogens affect a cell’s ability to use oxygen. Warburg said that glucose brings a cell’s ability to use oxygen down. One of the principle ways sugar does this is by creating chronic inflammation in the capillaries and other tissues * thus cutting down on oxygen delivery to the cells. When we gorge on the long list of widely available junk foods our cells do not get the oxygen they need to function correctly. …” …More

(Katie) #11

Finally.

('Jackie P') #13

That would be a powerful weapon! If it’s good for the military …

(Zach) #14

Thanks. I searched for “military” before posting and looked at some of the most recent posts but I guess I missed it.

(Boudewijn) #15

I doubt if the quote Lisa Sanders is correct as it mixes 2 different types of diving. The depriving of oxygen happens when you go free diving (without the use of compressed air/oxygen), these lasts relatively shortly. Where oxygen seizures happen when the body is exposed for longer periods to high partial oxygen pressures (the higher the partial oxygen pressure, the shorter time before oxygen seizures occur), this will only happen if you breath under pressure or very long at atmospheric levels. Navy divers try to stay undetected by using closed loop systems that operate at high oxygen percentage, the deeper they go, the higher the partial oxygen pressure, the shorter they can stay there. That was the reason for the research of Dr. Dominic D’Agostino as already quoted by CarolT

I’ve also heard of ketones helping in low oxygen environments, like mountain climbing. I’ll dig up a link…

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/articles/how-adrian-ballinger-summited-everest-without-oxygen-w484387

(Scott) #17

If you could see me when I go from 760 feet above sea level to 12,000 feet in one day then do hike to skiing you will quickly see it is no miracle cure. Come to think of it nobody asked me if I was having a heart attack this last time so I guess it helped some.

(Karim Wassef) #18

wait… so is Keto helping you be adapted to low oxygen? or not?

Maybe. It seems to be protective at least.

There’s some anecdotal evidence (in addition to above article) that seems to support it.

Some of the science about how this might happen. Ketones can also be protective in cases of concussion.

Ketone bodies, synthesised during relative starvation, protect tissues such as the brain from reduced oxygen availability by mechanisms including the reduced generation of reactive oxygen species, improved mitochondrial efficiency and activation of the ATP-sensitive potassium (KATP ) channel. Amino acids released from skeletal muscle also protect cells from hypoxia, and may interact synergistically with ketones to offer added protection. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24917038

A study done on rats:

Moreover, the KD significantly improved the spatial memory impairment caused by hypobaric hypoxia (simulated altitude of 6000 m, 24 h). In addition, the improving-effect of KD was mimicked by intraperitoneal injection of BHB. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28355243/