Was going to fast, then wasn't, then did

(Maha) #1

I’d planned a minimum 36 hour fast two days ago, but broke it at 20 hours yesterday morning. I’d not gotten a good night’s sleep and was emotionally drained from life’s stuff, so I decided to eat breakfast. Surprisingly, I felt satiated even though I was tired. The whole rest of the day I was not hungry, so I just went with it. Today I am continuing the fast, despite not having a good night’s sleep again, and I have just past the 24 hour mark. I am planning to try for 48 hours, because that’s really what I want to do, but the last couple of times I’ve tried, I wasn’t feeling it, so I stopped early. This time, I’m truly feeling it, so I’m really happy that maybe my body is back to being okay with extended fasts again. This morning I did have about 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil, which btw, tastes really good! I’m also having salt supplements and plain tea throughout the day.

(Teresa (turtle)) #2

Great! Keep exercising your fasting muscle! :muscle:

(Marta Loftfield) #3

@monstermash thinking about you how did it go?

(Maha) #4

Thank you for asking!

I made to the 48 hour mark without issue and was considering going to 72, but decided not to. Not because I was hungry, for that I feel like I could have, but I was feeling a little foggy-ish in my head and I have a slight headache. I also woke up at 4am again, and was worried about being at work in that state. So, I broke it with a coffee and HWC, some hot dog and Brussels sprouts. My head feels a little better, but not as much as I’d expected.

Throughout the day yesterday, every few hours, I had about 1 1/2 tsp of coconut oil to get through the hunger, which was incredibly helpful. Over all in 48 hours, I lost only 1.4 lbs. Rather disappointing, but I’m accepting it. I’m holding on to some stress and I haven’t been getting great sleep. Plus I did have CO. I guess under those circumstances, it’s fine. I think I want to do a few more 48 hour fasts, to exercise my fasting muscle as Knapper88 says, and then I’ll go to 72. A lot of it feels mental, like I’m actually afraid to go that long too. So weird, because logically, I know I can stop whenever I want.

(karen) #5

Could your fog and headache be caffeine related? The first time I did an EF I was hugely gung ho about water only, and totally forgot that I’m a caffeine addict. I wondered why I felt so blah even with plenty of water and salts, it took me two days to realize it was probably the lack of caffeine. I took a no-doze in hopes it wouldn’t disrupt the fast or autophagy and felt 1000% better. - I’ve since cut down on caffeine altogether, I don’t think no-doze is a great way to get thru life, but it certainly helped at the time.

(Maha) #6

[quote=“kib, post:5, topic:44890, full:true”]
Could your fog and headache be caffeine related?[/quote]

It’s possible, but I don’t think so. I drink caffeinated tea or coffee each day to avoid withdrawals. I’ll keep an eye on it though, it’s a good thought.

(Marta Loftfield) #7

@monstermash awesome! Congratulations on making your goal. You are wise to stop no use feeling poorly. The beauty of fasting is it is free and you can do it any time😎