WARNING: Starbucks' "Sous Vide Egg Bites" are carbage

restaurantsurvival

(ryancrawcour) #21

I was HORRIFIED this morning when I looked up the nutritional info on these.
I’ve just scoffed 1 (portion, i.e. 2 bites) of each flavor.
that’s 26g of carbs and it’s not even 9am

:’(

Where the heck do the carbs come from?
The ingredients are basically milk, eggs and cheese (plus a few weird additives like xanthium gum etc.) but I don’t see any sugars or grains.

Starbucks web site shows them at 9g of carbs. Not sure where you got that number.

the sugar is probably from the skim milk. Not sure why they use skim and not full fat milk.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

So, you have two servings, 4 bites, that’s 18g.

(Sheri Knauer) #23

I remember hearing about that. They add carbs so it would look like there was less fat in the food since most people are still fat phobic. Talk about manipulating the numbers (and the consumers).

(What The Fast?!) #24

Step 1: Order breakfast sandwich
Step 2: Remove bread
Step 3: Enjoy your keto-in-a-pinch meal

(christa) #25

That is so disheartening. Oy.

(Keto in Katy) #26

I saw them at my local Starbucks and found that they were made with egg whites, no yolk. Pass.

(Daniel) #27

the gouda and bacon one is 9g. the other flavor is 17g.

(Daniel) #28

the gouda one is full egg, but still 9g.

(Sheri Knauer) #29

Here are the ingredients in the bacon and gruyere. Its all the additives (Like potato starch) and the extra stuff in the cheese they use that make the carb count go up
Ingredients
cottage cheese (cultured skim milk, skim milk, milk, cream, contains 2 % or less of: whey, lactose, salt, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, carrageenan, mono- and diglycerides, locust bean gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide [to maintain freshness], natural flavor, vitamin a palmitate, enzymes), eggs (eggs, citric acid), monterey jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), unsalted butter (pasteurized cream, natural flavors), gruyere cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), uncured bacon - no nitrites or nitrates added except as naturally occuring in sea salt and celery juice powder (pork belly, water, sea salt, cane sugar, natural flavors), rice starch, hot sauce (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt), salt. contains: egg, milk.

(Cliff Schenkhuizen) #30

A bit late to the discussion, but thought I’d jump in now that I’ve finally tried these a few times. I think a lot of folks are misreading the ingredients when talking about adding things like skim milk and potato starch-- these are component ingredients of the actual ingredients like COTTAGE CHEESE and GRUYERE CHEESE-- both are much more keto friendly based on the fact that the net carbs in each of these are less than what’s listed on the nutrition facts.

For those that know their keto facts, full fat cottage cheese is definitely on the keto list because not only are the lactose carbs digested by the cultures in the making of the cheese, the resulting insulin response and lack of hit on ketone production is minimal for normal portions. Since I keep my blood meter handy, I tested my blood ketones when eating these-- and the results are consistent with other ‘higher carb but low net carb’ foods (I tend to hover around 1.0mM for mid morning ketones). Still producing ketones! Sure, n=1 in my case, so your results may be slightly different.

For reference, I’m with some of the others and keep a max carb limit of 40-50 before subtracting fiber, sugar alcohols, and fermented dairy carbs-- which keeps me closer to 30 net carbs.

I, for one, commend Starbucks in not only embracing lower carb fare but actually doing a pretty good job so far.

NOTE - I only eat the bacon/gruyere sous vide bite (9g carbs listed) rather than the higher carb/sugar egg white one.

KCKO

The Gouda and bacon one is POINT 9 carbs, so, less than 1 carb for the pair, the egg whites are 13 carbs. So, the bacon ones are actually really good for the diet.

(christa) #32

I just saw this message and got really excited! But I double-checked, and no, unfortunately it’s 9g, not .9g according to Starbucks’ site.
Here’s the link to the nutrition info, and a screenshot: https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

(Dawn) #33

It BROKE.MY.HEART! I ate them for 4 days when I first started keto because I thought they fit my macros. It wasn’t until I started really looking at the breakdown in MFP that I realized that was where most of my carbs were coming from. They are sooo good. It really was disappointment. I think it is best (especially when just starting or you have alot of weight to lose) to just cook your own food and leave the fast/convenience foods alone. They just can’t be trusted. And who wants to fight with the teen-ager behind the counter to try to get a glimpse at the nutrition labels?

(Andrew) #34

I fell victim too, but 9g is ok over a low carb day.

The Cheese and Bacon one sure was tasty. I wish they didn’t add the starches.

(Ken) #35

If you’ve done keto for more than two weeks, that small amount of carbs is insignificant. Five per cent of a 2000 calorie day is 100, so you’d be fine.

Keto doesn’t have to be self flagellation.

(jketoscribe) #36

I posted this recipe here but it requires a pressure cooker (you could probably cook them in a rice maker or steamer). Instant Pot Psuedo Sous Vide Eggs IMHO, it tastes a lot like the Starbucks egg bites and it’s keto.

(Jacob Wagner) #37

I made the basic Anova recepe yesterday. They are wonderful. I am going to experiment with different flavorings.

–Jacob

(Cooper) #38

If you’re on Keto, 9g without any fiber is quite a lot!

I haven’t been inside a Starbucks since I started keto but I went today with my sister. We saw these and I instinctively say, yes, bacon, cheese, egg… I’ll eat it. I saw it was 9g after we scarfed them down. They are so so good. I’m not going to eat them every day but I will treat myself on rare occasion because I just want to enjoy my life :wink:

(Tyler Howell) #40

I’m glad I checked this, because I just saw an add for these things and thought, “oh I can actually eat these things for breakfast since I pass 4 sbux on my way to work…” Well never mind to that idea.