WARNING: Starbucks' "Sous Vide Egg Bites" are carbage

restaurantsurvival

(christa) #1

I stop at Starbucks maybe once per week (venti Veranda Blend with heavy cream), and was SO EXCITED to see a new food item on the menu that I thought(!) I could actually eat.

I ordered the “Bacon and Gruyere Sous Vide Egg Bites” before looking up the nutrient data (because how many carbs could it really have? Maybe 3g, if they use crappy cheese and bacon?)

WHOOPS. One serving contains 9g(!) carbs with 0g fiber, and 2g sugar. They add rice starch to make the little egg pucks more hold-able, I guess.

ANYWAY. I’m not going to die, but don’t be like me! Be aware that these tempting new food items look like keto-friendly fare, but are actually sneakily carb-laden!

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

Anova one-ups the Starbucks sous-vide bites
(I like to post memes!) #2

Thanks for the report!!! We knew it was too good to be true!!

Sure, but in a pinch, 9g isn’t really that much. To each his, or her own.

(christa) #4

Such a bummer! :frowning::broken_heart::fried_egg:

(christa) #5

True! But for me, that’s about half my day’s carb ration, downed at breakfast. And I usually save my carbs for leafy greens and nuts. But yeah, it’s not the worst thing in the world. Just a bummer.

(Krista Benesh) #6

I saw them on the menu this morning. Good thing I didn’t order! Thanks for the heads up!

(Crow T. Robot) #7

Nicole Recine and Vinnie Tortorich were just talking about this issue on Twitter. Funny how fast word spreads.

I wonder what Sbux rationale is. According to Jeff Scot Philips (wrote “Big Fat Food Fraud”), US food manufacturers are forced by the FDA/USDA to add carbs to foods so that the ratio matches up to some formula signifying “healthy balance”. It might not be their reason, but you never know.

Disappointing, but I’ve long ago stopped eating at Sbux, anyway. Black coffee, please.

(ianrobo) #8

now they look nice, thanks for tip, seriously as my limit is 40g a day well within my limits, get for some it is too much.

However it shows there is a demand for food like this and especially amongst Starbuck’s younger customers. Should note it says high protein food when in fact it is very high in fat. They can still not sell high fat food and be proud of it !

(Jessica K) #9

I’m still glad that they are trying to go slightly more low carb. Annoying that they have the additives though :frowning:

(christa) #10

Yeah. SO CLOSE, STARBUCKS! You were so close.

(Sandra Watson) #11

I was sooooooooooooooooo excited when I saw them tweeted the other day and then excited to see them at Starbucks. Yes, CARBAGE!! Shame. PS, if you ask the bariata if the Almond milk has sugar they will say no… in fact it does, ask to see the package :wink:

(Jo Lo) #12

Look at the ingredients list if you get a chance, assuming you have half an hour to read all of it…

Maltodextrin (GMO corn starch) and mono and di glycerides (sugar) catch my eye among other bad things.

(Sandra Watson) #13

Even Dr. Ted tweeted they were awesome, even the best can be fooled :wink:

(Chris Bair) #14

https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/

(ana g) #15

True that SB didn’t nail it on this try, but it’s a signal to me that they are trying to respond to consumers who aren’t interested in their breakfast sandwich and dessert offerings, and that’s encouraging. I hope it’s the beginning of a turn in better access to ketogenic options through chains like Starbucks. Gluten-free advocates have been successful with advocating for better options - we can do it, too! Thanks for sharing your experience.

(christa) #16

Huzzah! Thanks so much for linking to this. I’m going to try it with my sous vide.

(christa) #17

Update: I made these (bacon gruyere recipe), and they’re awesome! Also super handy to have in the fridge. A++ WOULD SOUS VIDE AGAIN

(Sandra Watson) #18

Nice Chris_Bair! Thank you for that.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Hahahaha! That’s awesome. Thanks for taking one for the team and being a smart scout.

So true.

Eggselent. Might try.

(ana g) #20

This recipe could entice me to start batch food prep again. Eggcelent, indeed!!