Waldorf Salad

jicama
waldorf
celery
walnuts
salad

So this is a classical salad that uses apples, celery and walnuts. But, in order to keep the carb level down, I replace the apple with jicama. If you don’t have access to jicama, you can use other low carb root vegetables, like turnip, radishes and celeriac. You can also replace jicama with cubed raw cauliflower, too. Of course, each vegetable imparts its unique taste and changes the outcome of the salad. But, the crunchy with creamy texture will still be there, which is the hallmark of the Waldorf salad. If using the celeriac, I’d probably not add celery at all. Also, you can replace the walnuts with pecans, and the salad will turn out delicious as well.

Ingredients:
50 grams jicama, chopped
50 grams celery, chopped
50 grams walnuts
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon apple cider (optional)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)

To a bowl, add the jicama, celery and walnuts

And then add the mayonnaise. I used 3 tablespoons, but adjust the amount (more or less) in order to get the level of creaminess you prefer

I then added a bit of salt and pepper. I also added a bit of apple cider vinegar and olive oil to adjust to the taste that I prefer - you can make adjustments as you prefer as well

This is what the final Waldorf salad looked like when well blended

I plated the Waldorf salad with some sliced havarti cheese and boiled eggs - makes a great lunch plate

Close up

The perfect bite

What did you Keto today?