Vitamins and minerals

(Martin Arnold) #1

I’m concerned that my veg intake (particularly) isn’t providing enough minerals and nutrients.

I believe i eat a lot fewer net carbs than 20, so I have room for more. But having googled the contents I’m thinking I’m not getting enough vitamins and minerals (electrolytes notwithstanding).

What do others do or eat, without resorting to supplements, to get their intake?

Don’t forget that meat, fish and eggs are fantastic sources of nutrients. Liver in particular is a natural multivitamin - if you aren’t keen try making it into a terrine.

Veg-wise, I usually have two types of green veg cooked in butter with my dinner. Broccoli, asparagus and cabbage are favourites in our house.

(Martin Arnold) #3

I had a look but meat didn’t seem to have lots of stuff.

I have broccoli spinach and mushroom with breakfast, cabbage and avocado with lunch and spinach cauliflower and pepper with dinner

What is the root cause of your concern? Did your blood analysis reveal deficiencies? Is your concern based on data or opinion?

(Martin Arnold) #5

My concern is that I don’t know if I’m getting enough.

I find that I can liberally consume Spring Mix lettuces, but YMMV although I provide a link below to one that exists in my local grocery store and one that I use when they are Buy One Get One Free (BOGO).

That being said, for people that are affected by the carbs in vegetable sources, egg yolks are considered extremely high in nutrients and although not technically offal, Dr. Cate Shanahan recommends them in her book Deep Nutrition as a substitute.

http://drcate.com/about-drcatecom/

Blood tests reveal deficiencies. Other than that, you will be spinning your wheels addressing concerns founded on lack of information.

(Martin Arnold) #8

First you must understnd that i cannot get blood tests all the time, that’s not how it works here.

But I am asking a broader question: how to ensure I get enough. I shoudln’t have to wait until a blood test to ensure my food intake is healthy

(bulkbiker) #9

If you think you aren’t eating enough … eat some more?
Why can’t you get blood tests? Has your doctor banned you?
Do you bombard him with questions too and never take on board what has he advises?

(Martin Arnold) #10

What are you talking about?

(Richard Morris) #11

You can try putting your data into

… and then try @Marty_Kendall’s which ranks essential nutrients by adequacy against RDIs

The problem is RDIs are created based on glucose burners, and the metabolisms of fat burners are running so differently that a lot of assumptions may not follow.

For example Vitamin C and Glucose compete for transport over cell walls so when you have a LOT of glucose transiting into cells, that cell will have access to fewer molecules of Ascorbic acid - and so the concentration of Ascorbic acid in circulation must needs be higher.

But in the absence of real data the best you can do is use the generic RDIs and punt … or treat apparent deficiencies based on blood tests.

You need to get back on google. @Nettles is right

I eat two zucchini and about half a red bell pepper each day for my vegetables. I’ve never run the numbers on that, but I think those pack in a fair amount of nutrients. Nevertheless, I also take multiple supplements.

(Todd Allen) #14

I also use cronometer and it is good to see major deficits. Unfortunately there is more uncertainty then the RDAs. The nutritional content of food can vary widely on many factors such as how/where it was produced, how it’s been stored and for how long and how it was prepared. And our individual needs vary by many factors too such as genetics, health, gut micro-biome, activity, etc.

(Martin Arnold) #15

I use google for nutrition information. I dont find foodtrackers helpful or accurate.

(Martin Arnold) #16

Would it not be better to get nutrition from food, where and if possible?

Absolutely! That’s why I try to eat nutrient-dense foods. But there’s a lot of compelling science behind certain supplements (vitamin K, magnesium, etc.) for achieving specific health objectives.

(Siobhan) #18

Organ meats are very nutritious - muscle meat is good to eat, but a lot of the nutrition comes from the organs which are sadly neglected nowadays. Around here I usually find liver, etc sold very cheaply in normal grocery stores.

(Todd Allen) #19

Cronometer is helpful because it has more detailed nutrition info than most other sources. For example, you want to eat more protein than recommended and cronometer tracks each amino acid from each of your foods. This can be helpful if you care about the differing properties of amino acids and are trying to target a level of response of insulin or MTOR, etc. If you don’t like the accuracy or your foods are not listed, the database is editable. All of the targets and what is tracked is configurable too.

(Anthony Mariapain) #20

Any research supporting RDIs for fat burners? How do we counter, objectively, arguements that LCHF robs us vital vitamins and minerals?