Vigorously defended weight point

(Mark Walker) #1

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this, but it seemed the closest.

In the past couple of weeks, I’ve managed to get down to around 264 pounds, and then immediately afterward my weight shot back up 4 pounds. The first time I chalked it up to going to the Melting Pot for my 10th Anniversary (4 course Fondue style meal) where a lot of sugar was had. The second time, however, I had been completely keto for over a week (since the Melting Pot incident).

Should I pay attention to this, or should I just record it, keep calm and keto on? In essence, is it time that I start thinking about EF? Every time I’ve hit a plateau, over the past few months, I’ve always broken through it a few weeks later by just sticking to Keto.

Thoughts?

I would not cheat even on special occasions. Plenty of classy keto meals like steak, crab legs, etc. I would try doing IF a couple times a week (dinner only) and see how that goes. Drink plenty of water and electrolytes. Homemade Keto Gatorade Also work out hard towards the end of your fast before you eat: sprints, heavy lifting. If that goes well, then I’d try EF.

(Jane) #3

If you are in it for the long haul like I am then I will be enjoying special occasions and go right back to keto the next day. And fast if more than 50 carbs to burn it up quicker.

There are some who can’t control their eating once they “cheat” but I am not one of them. You will have to figure out you.

I also pick and choose what truly is a special occasion and not use that as an excuse. I’m not looking for excuses because I enjoy my keto food, I enjoy how I feel and not being hungry all the time, and I enjoy being able to bend over and tie my shoes while breathing at the same time!

How long have you been eating keto? If fat-adapted then just fast a day. If not then KCKO.

Btw, I advise strict keto until you are fat-adapted. Otherwise you are just prolonging the real benefits of the diet

(Jane) #4

Sorry - re-read and saw “months”. If you are stalled then EF is a great way to break it!

(Mark Walker) #5

Thank you for the responses. I haven’t done any EF yet, because I was advised to wait until I’m at a “real” plateau, but I’m not really sure how to identify a “real” plateau.

I was doing IF 5 days a week for a while, and that worked really well. I haven’t been doing that for about a month or so, which… now that I think about it, during the time I haven’t been doing it, my weight loss has been lackluster at best. Maybe I need to go back to that. I felt great while I was engaging in IF and I was losing 12+ pounds per month.

Like you, Janie, I am not against eating some carbs on special occasions, because I feel that quality of life outweighs the need to keep a strict 24/7/365 keto adherence. I mean… It was my 10th anniversary, and we went to the place where we had our first Valentines day dinner, so it was a super special occasion.

I definitely do want to try EF, but I’ve been waiting because I was told that doing it too soon can actually cause a plateau. I’m definitely not as well educated about fasting as I want to be, but that’s one of the reasons I’m here, to become better educated :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the great responses and advice!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

You can easily fluctuate 4 pounds per day just with water weight changes. Watch longer trends and use measurements instead.

(Mark Walker) #7

For reference, here is my weight loss chart for the year:

(Brian) #8

Mark, I wouldn’t get too concerned about it. Keto on. If you want to do a little fasting of some sort, that’s fine. If you don’t, that’s fine, too.

I have found that for me, the weight loss is absolutely NOT linear. I have found that as I reach new lows, the weight will almost always pop right back up again, like a kid recoiling after sticking his big toe in the cold water at the swimmin’ hole. For me, that’s entirely normal. I’ve gone several months into a plateau and really not paid a lot of attention, just ketoed on. And my body does eventually get the idea that it’ll be OK if it drops a little more of those fat reserves. And it does.

I started out with a little less than 100 pounds to lose. I still have about 20 or so to go. The first 30 or 40 went FAST. I spent a good bit of time in the 230’s as my body resisted going lower. But it did. Then I spent a good bit of time in the 220’s as my body resisted going lower. Now I’m in the 2-teens kinda doing a rinse-repeat thing. I’m fine with that. I’m in no hurry.

I weigh myself most every day. I do not record it so I don’t have a written record. I don’t get excited if the weight pops up a few pounds nor do I get overly excited in a good way if it goes down a few pounds. It’s like the tide, it goes in, it goes out. It will vary quite a few pounds just by what time of day and what I’ve been doing.

So all that said, I suggest that you maintain good eating habits and continue to keto on. Fast or intermittent fast if you want to. Or not. I’m not one to fast that often. Others kinda like doing it.

Good luck and good health!

:slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

On the other hand, being a carb/sugar addict, I find that eating some carbs on any occasion ruins my quality of life. And for me, quality of life outweighs the desire for a so-called “treat.” Chaque chat, son rat, as they say.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

3 months, no real scale movement. You can fluctuate around a point, but no new low for 3 months.

You’ve answered your own question. Record it so you’ll be able to track the trend if you’re tracking, and KCKO! Never feel bad being NORMAL and eating some garbage from time to time, you obviously need to determine if anything you do could send you into a binge style downward spiral to the bread truck, but as long as it won’t then your ok. Don’t take a a great WOE and turn it into an un-enjoyable d…d…d…DIET! I gain/loose 4lbs daily with all the liquids in and out of me, just like loosing, weight gains aren’t always gained bodyfat! When you’re new and coming off the stuff, you gotta be careful especially if you have a tendency to binge, but seems that’s not a problem for you so don’t over think it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

I would also add that there appears to be no apparent cause.

If one has been cheating every weekend and back to Keto through the week (or something similar) and their weight remains the same or bounces back and forth over the same 3-4 pounds, I wouldn’t call that a stall.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

I would call that a stall. And the solution could be knocking off the carb up weekends.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

I guess what I mean is when we complain about hitting a plateau, I think that if we are doing things that we know cause that plateau, it’s not the same as when we hit one naturally and have to figure out why our body has adapted.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #15

Sure. But when you’re spending 25+% of your time not working the program, you’re not really on the program. Easily diagnosed, and theoretically, easily stall busted. But maybe that’s your program and it needs tweaking.