Vespa arrived :-)

(ianrobo) #41

I should say since this post I have stopped using it as simply too expensive for the benefit I did feel

(mark whittaker) #42

so I feel like I am pestering you but it is hard to find people with personal experiences like this.

Have you tried carbo loading the night before or mornig of a race?

If so do you feel that it was a positive or negative net effect. Another way to ask is, did it help you leverage your fat adaption and higher MAF power that you have developed over time? Or did it diminish the contribution from fat adaption and higher MAF power by dropping you out of ketosis or somehow changing RQ back into a carb heavy balance?

(Todd Allen) #43

Sorry to hear the Vespa didnā€™t work out too well. Maybe it is time to try the other kind for a bigger benefit.

vespa

(ianrobo) #44

oh donā€™t get me wrong I thought it worked very well but the cost is too prohibitive I am afraid !

(AllenW) #45

Everyone gets to decide for themselves but Iā€™ll share my thoughts and experience. Iā€™ve been ultrarunning for some years and tried vespa about 5 years ago. Didnā€™t work so I contacted themā€¦ they said ā€œoh, you ALSO have to be on this low carb diet if you want it to workā€. So my conclusion was, well it is the low carb diet that really makes people be able to access their fat. But some people actually do feel a benefit so I investigated the contents of the ā€˜wasp spitā€™. It is just mainly a list of amino acids. jeff volek says amino acids can provide some helpful energy during endurance events.

So what MIGHT be happening is the combo of keto adaptation and using amino acids for fuel is the helpful combination of things going on here. If so, then there are much cheaper amino acids than Vespa.

(Justin Traer) #46

I assumed it was the scooterā€¦ So while cool, it was in the wrong forumā€¦

(Kevin Sodhi) #47

So, I tried Vespa today for a MTB ride prior to the coming weekendā€™s 24h relay race.

I have to say it worked wonders. On medium to long climbs, I would normally be gasping for air and generally feeling drained of energy. This happens as I would drift form HR Zone 3 to 4. The feeling would pass with a couple minutes of rest at the crest.

Todayā€™s result with Vespa was very different. I did not have that drained feeling at all. I would get a little gassed but my legs didnā€™t feel dead when I reached the top of a climb.

I think, due to the cost, I will only use Vespa for races or special events - not for day to day training.

(AllenW) #48

Ok this could be a good experiment. So if you can figure out how many calories of amino acids are in a serving of Vespa and try one hour of Vespa, one our of just plain, cheap amino acids, that would be a cool experiment to see if the vespa aminos are different from cheaper pills you can buy anywhere.

Then the next training day, start with the other then alternate each hour the other way. I would be interested to see what you experience. This eliminates a lot of variables.

(Kevin Sodhi) #49

I think it would have to be done on different days, since it appears that a dose of Vespa works for a few hours. Can you elaborate on the cheap amino acids? I will have to read up on supplementation with amino acids.

(AllenW) #50

Iā€™m not deep in to supplements at all but I think if you search BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) you will see that the profile is very similar to those listed in Vespa. Iā€™m not sure which of the BCAA brands would be best. I know Dr. Jeff Volek uses them on bike rides. He talked about that early on, before Vespa, but I canā€™t find the reference to it now.

For N=2, myself and one other person I know have had great races on just a cheap Walmart brand of BCAA.

But yes you may be right about trying on different days. I know it is all very subjective. But Iā€™ve found over the years that if you can really pay attention to those subjective experiences, the science sometimes catches up with your experiences.