Vespa arrived :-)

(ianrobo) #1

thanks to Peter Defty who is not a member yet I have now got my Vespa and can not wait.

Presume ok to post this here @richard @carl as it is endorsed by you guys ?

Will report back on how well it does and how I feel about it.

Ability to use fat as fuel for endurance sports

Vespa? Like the wasp thing??

(Guardian of the bacon) #3

Didn’t happen without pics.

(ianrobo) #4

yep thats right … see how it goes …

@jfricke Ok hang on :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #5

here we are

(Steak and iron) #6

I’m interested to see how this works. It just reeks of broscience to me but I want to be wrong!

(ianrobo) #7

this has been around a fair few years now so no flash in the pan. Many pros in all sports use it but this a N=1 test to see if it makes an impact, specially I want to do a solid 8 hour ride int he Alps with only stopping for water and no food with me.

(Steak and iron) #8

Many pros in all sports also think you need to carb up the night before. Like I said I want to be wrong here, I’m all about performance enhancing drugs that don’t make your liver fall out.

(Tom Seest) #9

I’m not sure the Dudes endorse it, but I definitely do. I’ve had great results with it for my longer rides. I don’t use it on shorter, training rides, but I try to use it on any 4+ hour ride. While I don’t try it in a lab environment, I feel like it brings me more power in the long term.

Before anyone says anything, I’ve also tried to forms of exogenous ketones and have had no noticeable difference.

I don’t like to waste my money on supplements, if they don’t provide benefit.

(ianrobo) #10

an thats useful @tdseest to know , going on a long one tomorrow so will try it then and see what happens.

As for carb building before an event, I will do that for sure the day before my one as all evidence shows it works and even Steve Phinney or Jeff Volek (can’t remeber which one !!) said it was useful and not harmful to fat adaption which is key.

(Guardian of the bacon) #11

Ok…now I feel stupid. I thought you receiving your new Vespa was a new bike. Not sure why my mind made that leep but it did. That’s why I asked about a pic :nerd:

(Tom Seest) #12

Yes. I don’t ride competitively so I don’t feel the need for carb loading, but I’ll usually take an Almond Butter Packet or Jar with me on very long rides just in case I feel the need.

(ianrobo) #13

ha ha no not the scooter !! not sure how that is Keto related :slight_smile:

(ianrobo) #14

yeah still trying to work out for longer rides 5hrs plus what I will do Tom … this is part of trying to find out.

(Tom Seest) #15

Let me know how you like it. They say to take it about an hour before you ride. I actually take it when I start riding, as I treat the 1st hour as warm up anyway, and ride more relaxed.

I find the resulting Vespa buzz lasts 3 to 4 hours for me.

I’ll be curious to see how you like it.

I don’t worry about the limited carb count in it, as I burn far more than that off in a ride like that anyway.

(ianrobo) #16

yeah thats irrelevant and will update tomorrow, did 4 hours on Saturday so doing the same, fast ride etc … so will be a valid comparison … fro an eight hour one, just need a top up half way round.

BTW @tdseest I am not competitive only against a set target for any ride !

(Polly Bennett) #17

I thought you meant a Vespa scooter. SO disappointed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Richard Morris) #18

I have never used it but people I trust have, and they approve of it.

So put me in the “Vesper Curious” category

(Scott Shillady) #19

I was thinking the same thing and was wondering how a motorized scooter could possibly be Keto Related

(Dustin Ewers) #20

Me too. I was like “does Vespa make a bike now or something?”

In case anyone doesn’t know about Vespa scooters:

http://www.vespausa.com/scooters/sprint/studio.html