Very interesting N=1 trying to test that Sat Fat causes weight loss

(Central Florida Bob ) #123

My cocoa butter wafers arrived Wednesday, and I’m starting my N=1. So far this morning, I’m having 40 grams of cocoa butter in my coffee, which is around 12 or 13 grams of stearic acid (as I understand). I’ll probably aim for 20g of stearic, just because Kristen @kaclp offered some numbers. I get into questions like not just if that’s a good number, but whether it’s better to have 20g once in the morning, or spread throughout the day.

For years, our menu has tended to be more “fowl or fish” than beef. Even now, we’ll have beef two or three days a week and chicken four or five. One thing I’ve noticed in the last six months that seems a little strange is that I’m more likely to get heartburn on chicken than on beef. Keto and fasting got me off the prilosec I was hooked on for 10 years, it would really ironic if the prilosec was really caused by the Heart Association-approved, high PUFA diet.

I find myself having no idea of what to measure to see if it’s having a positive effect, but here we go…

(Kristen Ann) #124

Good luck. I spread mine out throughout the day, but that may not be better necessarily. I now find myself craving cocoa butter coffee, so I’m having 2 a day.

I got into this stearic acid thing because of a study that showed stearic acid causes mitochondria fusion (better function). The participants were drinking 28g of 95% stearic acid in a drink at once. The mitochondria fusion was greatest 3 hours afterwards I believe. I think I posted the study on this thread or the other fire in a bottle thread.

(Central Florida Bob ) #125

Question for Bob (@ctviggen) or others who have reported hunger suppression: is that “I don’t feel like eating today” but you can, or “I’m getting physically ill” eating this much?

I seem to be having the appetite suppression, but yesterday had some of the latter. It was pretty much the typical dinner but as I was getting to the last couple of bites had a moment of thinking I was going to get sick.

(Central Florida Bob ) #126

Well, it’s decision time. Fish or cut bait. Buy another round of cocoa butter or fugedaboutit?

I’m almost through my two pounds of cocoa butter. Going over my Renpho scale data, I see nothing different at all. Strictly by the Renpho numbers, I’ve gained two pounds since I started (seems a little odd). At first, I thought I had appetite suppression, but that seemed to go away (if it was ever there) after a few days.

I don’t see any reason to continue, but wanted to run it by the rest of you for your opinions. Is two weeks enough?

(Bunny) #127

The shorter the chain length the easier it is for fatty acids to mobilize through the adipose tissue (the short answer) Man or beast.

That also explains why people lose more weight when they eat grass fed butter and may be because of the mobilization of shorter chained fatty acid in the turn over pool that reduces the size of adipose storage in transitory phases as the combination of fatty acids move through the fat cell. As for stearic acid or saturated fats and/or unsaturated fat volumes; the slightest amount of sugar will be a touchy situation and shut down the down-sizing of the adipocyte.

That is my idea about it for now.

I don’t even want to try to form a theory or hypothesis right now because something is missing?

That also explains why I’m so successful at losing body fat so rapidly with resistant starch on top of the keto diet because it is like eating grass fed butter (short chained fatty acids)? If I cut down on the other fats?

image link

Hey Kristen. Not sure if you are still surfing here. I think you make a good point about the linoleic acid difference between lard and tallow. Dr. Paul Saladino has turned his attention to linoleic acid.

(Kristen Ann) #129

Still surfing, just insanely busy. I’ll take a look at the video, thanks!

Saladino is way off base and incorrect about linoleic acid. In reality; the majority of man made isolated food is garbage and the croissant diet isn’t sustainable in the long run.

Notably, dietary supplementation with arginine enhances protein deposition in skeletal muscle and intramuscular lipid concentrations, while reducing body fat mass in growing-finishing pigs (15). These studies suggest that arginine regulates lipid and protein metabolism in a tissue-specific manner.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3422877/

Animal studies have demonstrated that L-arginine reduces visceral adiposity and fat mass.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24409974/

I eat high quality nuts/seafood and the fat always ends up in my muscles due to these foods being rich in arginine. Whole foods always win.

From another thread but pertains to here. Like @ctviggen Bob, I am getting amazing satiety with a suet eating experiment.

The suet, which is the connective tissue and fat from around beef kidneys in the experiment I’m doing, tastes great fried in a pan with salt. Then the rendered fat in the pan can be used for cooking other foods.

@Fangs asked what I meant when I said the satiety feels “heavy”.

The satiety has more gravitas (not more gravy). @VirginiaEdie Edith got me thinking about suet and the stearic acid in that fat from around beef kidneys.

I understood satiety before from a mix of fats. It felt like I don’t have to eat for a few hours, maybe 16 or 20 hours. But the satiety from eating the suet fat as the base cooking fat makes me feel like I don’t ever have to eat again. In my n=1 it is a cure for hunger.