Venting re. "drain the fat"

fat
vent

(Bruce Pick) #1

Sometimes I’ll see a recipe that’s titled as being Keto - and they tell you to drain off the fat! Of course I don’t drain it. It gets under my skin, that the recipe gets published that way.

Yesterday I made a nice “Big Mac Casserole”. Quite tasty. But don’t drain the fat.
The recipe calls for pickle relish; I used a sugar-free sweet pickle relish. And I forgot to add the mustard. Not a problem, it was excellent.

Keto Big Mac Casserole

(Rebecca ) #2

I know! That drives me nuts, too! Why would we drain the lovely fat from our meats???

(Janus) #3

Yes - “now, take out the good part…”

I couldn’t look at the recipe as I refuse to spend minutes of my life to work on showing I am a human, I hate that very much.

They surely don’t want all that fat, it’s understandable. If they still eat it for something else, of course, I abhor food waste (well not if it harms us but I do my best to avoid that too. I simply don’t buy bad stuff).

I personally use only the tiny amount of added fat that I need for my food. And I mostly eat fried stuff. Mom did the same, it is a useful skill :smiley:

And if the meat is so fatty, I get the fat and store in the fridge. I still have tallow from mutton since ages ago, my SO hates even the smell, sometimes I feed some to the cats. I could eat it if I had nothing else but not all meat fat is equal. And it’s rendered so I avoid using it if possible. It’s usually possible.

Keto doesn’t mean drink / eat as much fat as humanly possible. Fat isn’t unlimited even eating keto. That’s aside from the fact many recipes would be a soupy mess with it in there.

(Bruce Pick) #6

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your first line. Perhaps I’m being obtuse.
It’s a good recipe, in my opinion - as long as one isn’t a slave to the instruction to drain the fat. Remove it or not, per your own preference. :slight_smile:

(Fallili) #7

Success

I can relate to that :slight_smile: I read eat lots of fat and I avoid it as best as I can, at least the added fat and cream… It is still too much fat but what can I do? (I know it now: lower the carbs, it’s always the answer especially when I want to eat less fat ;))

It is another matter that most meat is horribly lean to me and I need to add fat. Not rendered fat but fat nonetheless. If it’s liquid, that’s bad news but I have those cute roasted things (from smoked pork hocks) on top of my too lean pork leg and it’s just perfect. I had that dish just now.

I still couldn’t see the recipe but I see tons of way too fatty recipes… Even for me. And I always ate much fat, I love it and missed it on keto for long. Not everyone is like this. Some people want to lose fat more than me, some people have a smaller energy need… Not everyone can afford tons of fat.
(We can add “not everyone experiences borderline magic on keto” if someone is bothered with my belief about it’s not realistic to except fat-loss when we have more than enough from food.)
Sometimes I change recipes, once I simply left out 200g butter and other fat sources. And the result was fatty and very good.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

The advice you read is actually “eat fat to satiety,” not “stuff as much fat down your gullet as you possibly can.” Fat is not a magic keto substance, merely a food that we can eat without raising our insulin more than is necessary for survival.

But yes, unless the fat is going to interfere with the texture or taste, why worry about it? It tastes lovely, and there is no reason to fear it. But sixty years of “fat is going to kill you” and “artery-clogging saturated fat” do leave their mark, and we don’t always realise just how deeply we have absorbed the fear of fat, even though we now know it is bogus.

It’s worth remembering that the American Heart Association only became a big deal in the late 1940’s, after the makers of Crisco gave the organisation a very large donation. The AHA has been promoting seed oils and margarine in place of butter, lard, etc. ever since, not because of science, but out of gratitude for the money.

(Bob M) #10

I’ve actually modified recipes to make them less fatty.

And often, I do drain the fat (and toss it), because I tend to cook, cool, reheat. If there’s a layer of fat on top, it never integrates again. So, if I see that when cool, I’ll take it off by the spoonful.

None of this means I am “anti-fat”, though I tend toward less fatty meats in general (i.e., ham instead of pepperoni).

If a recipe labels itself as a “fat bomb”, I don’t even look at it. The very concept of a “fat bomb” is both amusing and appalling to me.

I don’t need to go searching for fat. I’m trying to lose weight. I just need enough fat to be satiated.

Having said that, I probably add more butter and cheese to things than I should. :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #12

You must be thin as a rail if you can eat extreme volumes of fat rather than it being percentage of your calories, not something you would want to do if your trying to burn body fat?

(Bob M) #13

I like some chocolate and white chocolate “desserts” sometimes, and I got them from a fat bomb book. I went on a very high fat diet for a while, Jimmy Moore style.

And I don’t mind sweet “fat bombs” every once in a while.

But I’ve gone away from higher fat. Though if I do eat higher fat, I try to eat higher saturated fat (thus, the white chocolate desserts, which are basically saturated fat). So, cream, cream cheese, suet if I can get it, etc. And I avoid avocados, bacon (both higher PUFA), though even those I have at times.

(Bruce Pick) #14

Yeah, I’m pretty thin. I have very little body fat. I got started on Keto to support my wife, over two years ago. I lost about 20-25 lb, and I think I’m also healthier now than I was before.