Venting (non-supportive family members)

Love these! Mind if I use a few?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #62

Did she mention what her recent test results were?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #63

I serve my fellow ketoers.

(Meeping up the Science!) #64

I’ve actually seen this happen. People are idiots.

(Meeping up the Science!) #65

And here I thought I never could live in the culinary hell that is the 1960’s…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #66

I wanna get the joke but I may not have had enough coffee yet. Do you mean that it’s like the 60s now or that you are wistfully remembering past hell and comparing it to today’s travails? (sips coffee)

(Tom) #67

My personal favorite as of late, but I usually reserve it for nuclear situations, since it can cause some serious unrest in some folks: “The Jerry intervention.” It goes as follows:

Person A says something backhanded, passive aggressive, or anything I find condescending or irritating.

I muster an exasperated/disgusted/contemptuous look (it varies on the situational needs), or just roll my eyes, and say, “Man, Jerry was so right about you” and walk away. The key is to pick a name of a person who isn’t in your company, friend circle, or family. They’ll start doing an internal search, trying to figure out who the heck Jerry is, what they did, and what Jerry was talking about. Best yet, that lovely feeling of vague insecurity is now attached to their behavior, and they’re (theoretically) less likely to broach topics of conversation that would flare that again. All credit goes to my hypnosis trainer for this one.

You are trained in hypnosis?

(Tom) #69

Yup!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #70

@Fiorella @acrunchyfrog It’s why we get sleepy every time we read his posts.

(snicker)

(Tom) #71

Do you really believe you’re still awake now?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #72

Oh, trust me, I couldn’t dream up the fantastic smells comin’ from the pork roast in my oven right now.

Besides, I’ve been studying and teaching hypnosis, neuroplasticity, and the placebo/nocebo effect for 20 years. Bring it.

Spoiler alert: It’s the purple pill, Neo.

For once, I guess I’m glad I’m two states away from most of my family. I do believe my parents would be supportive, but I’m not so sure about my sister. I haven’t really discussed how I’m eating with too many people. I figure it’s none of their business. However, once I make a trip back home (April), I will have to. I will definitely bring foods with me, and stopping by a local grocery store is a great idea! I was gluten free for 2 years, and my family was very supportive (even my sister).

YESSSS!!! using this one for sure!

Random loud comment in packed elevator Friday from yet another… “OMG you’ve lost a TON!! How much have you lost???” I replied…oh you’re right…An actual TON!!! Then watched her squirm…

(Sierra) #75

Just bring home some bacon for dessert! Yum!
My mother in law told us we had to eat the muffins and bread she made for us because she made especially for us. We ended up eating all the heavy whipping cream in her fridge, but none of the muffins or bread …lol. We got a call the day after we left telling us we were going to die from all the fat we were eating.

(Meeping up the Science!) #76

In the 60’s they had hideous creations, like the meat drowning in pineapple mentioned above.

I definitely did not have enough coffee when I made that comment, but I was also having flashes of aspic covered pineapple meatballs.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #77

Man, aspic was a thing, wasn’t it? What the hell?

(Tom) #78

Awesome stuff, isn’t it? We should compare reading lists sometime. I’m currently on an audiobook called “Suggestible You”, by Eric Vance.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #79

Holy canoli, we’re talkin’ hundreds of titles. I’ve been battin’ around the idea of starting a thread on this stuff. Today may be the day.

(eat more) #80

@acrunchyfrog if i wasn’t immune you’d scare me…or maybe i just think i’m immune… :thinking:

:joy::joy::joy: