Vegetarian -- ketogenic diet possible for vegetarians?

(Brian) #28

Two of the components often used heavily in the vegan community scare me: flax and soy. I may have a bit of each from time to time but I do NOT want to make either a food group. The estrogenic part of it does not appeal. And I’m not convinced that there may not be negative consequences that go pretty far into the health of a person eating them heavily that may take quite a while to show up. I’ve seen things in my long term vegetarian friends that cause me to question whether they’re really even as healthy as their non-vegetarian brothers & sisters, things like heart troubles, gall stones, strokes, diabetes, cancer, and Alzheimer’s, not minor things.

I don’t know about anybody else, but 46g of protein, for me, is a protein deficiency.

(Pshah) #29

Yes I am Vegetarian not vegan. I am doing it for a month. It is not as ez as non vegetarians needs more planning, I am also Indian so I eat paneer(Cheese). No impossible, need to plan your days and meals. Hope this will help.

I’ve experimented with an intermittent vegetarian keto diet for about 3 months, if one can call it that. No fixed protocol. I simply went for up to a week without any meat, except for eggs.
Some days I had meats but not much up to 2 days a week.

I measured b-ketones and u-ketones during this “experiment” and found that my ketones were actually a bit higher in the evening (3 mmol/L or above).

So it was highly doable for me. I will probably cycle continue with this cycling style of semi vegetarianism.

(lisa Bradley) #31

I’ve just had paneer for dinner… it’s so good, and a great go to for vegetarians on keto.

(PAULA GRAINGER) #32

Hello , I am also a vegetarian, trying and sometimes miserably failing to maintain my diet as a vegetarian while in keto. At the moment I am still craving bread…I can’t avoid it. Mostly for the last year I have elimimated many carbs.

Paula

(Parker) #33

I am primarily a vegan with the exception of barnyard eggs and I’m in my third week. You can do this, I promise. It just takes a little more effort in the beginning. Hemp seeds are great for protein and coconut oil for your fat. But I’m still a newbie to this new regime.

(Parker) #34

Don’t forget about tofu!

(Parker) #35

This was great. Thank you.

(PAULA GRAINGER) #36

Hello NOYB, I was mostly vegan too until I discovered Keto…then eggs and cheese cream and salt and all of the other things I hadnt been eating for 40 years on my veg diet. My low fat high carb diet didnt keep my arteries clear.
It’s really good to meet someone else who is vegetarian on a keto diet because I had been worrying about eating the right thing. I love tofu btw. Esp fried with creole spice and tamari sauce. Just by itself. Yum !

(Fawn Gifford) #37

When you posted to consume 6 eggs a day this confused me. I’m super new to keto and when I put in my food/macros into a counter and put in 2 eggs from breakfast it said I was at my mark for macros for the day?!

What app are you using because that isn’t right. Two eggs would just be about 160 calories, 10g fat, and 12g protein.

(Fawn Gifford) #39

I am vegan and started my first day today and I have to admit it was a great day! I made fat bombs out of fried vegan cheese with coconut oil and a vegan cream cheese dip. I ate raw asparagus with vegan ricotta, I had a plant based protein shake, then coffee with nut milk, I also had a tomato/cucumber salad with warm fried tofu and liquid aminos- I just finished dessert with frozen coconut milk and less than a 1/4 raspberries! I have eaten less than I was supposed to as far as protein and barely made it as far as fat thus frying everything in coconut oil lol and the coconut cream. Good Luck!!

(Fawn Gifford) #40

Side note I use the app TotalKetoDiet to track my macros and it’s free holllaaa

(Helen Taylor) #41

That phytoestrogen soya that is Tofu is my absolute go-to as a perimenopausal woman, it stops my hot flushes (hot flashes in US-speak) and is fab if you press it for a few hours to remove moisture, then soak it in a good marinade of your own choice - spice it up, tofu can hold it - and then toss it in cassava or coconut or almond flour and fry till crisp. Yum.

(Helen Taylor) #42

Take a litre of full fat milk, and bring it up to just under boiling. Take it off the heat, add a tbsp of lemon juice and stir, then another, stir and so on until the mixture starts to separate. Wait and after a few minutes you have curds and whey. Take a muslim, I use old tea towels, and pour the mixture through, hang it over a bowl and drain it for several hours, perhaps if you can keep it cool, overnight.

What’s left is a soft, delicious cream cheese. You can whip it with a bit of salt and use it as a dip, on vegetables or if drained enough, fry it.

(Bunny) #43

Dried purple laver (nori) seaweed is another good source of B-12. Besides eggs and chicken. Never not eat eggs because you need Choline and if you want to keep glutathione levels adequate eat them raw and take milk thistle to help your liver produce more glutathione (the bodies master anti-oxidant). Nori contains 10x more calcium than milk and is a good source of selenium and iodine also.

You do need to have most of the percentage of your calories coming from FAT 70% to 80% on a Ketogenic diet?

image link

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

Let’s not start a religious conflict, here! :rofl:

Poor Muslim! :joy::joy::joy:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this book by Dr. Will Cole?

I have IBS as a remnant of a ghastly infection that came from antibiotics misprescribed some years ago.
I still have IBS however I have no issues with high fat keto and I eat 3 ORGANIC eggs a day, no problems at all. I thrive on it and my IBS is in remission til I eat carbs or veggies when it rears up and punishes me.