Vegetable shortening?

I hope this is where I put this, but does anyone know if there are any negative effects of using vegetable shortening for cooking? I have a whole bunch leftover from when I was a vegetarian, and I used it to fry eggs this morning. I used to use coconut oil and butter for this the last time I was keto, but I was hoping to use this up before buying something else.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

That stuff is GOOD…for the trash. lol

(Ross) #3

It makes great industrial lubricant. Otherwise it is toxic and one of the primary drivers of the obesity epidemic.

Yikes! I’m glad I asked. Thanks for the clarification.
The rest is going in the trash then, and I’ll be back on Kerrygold after this week’s shopping trip.

(Ross) #5

Eggs fry up really well in baconfat too :sunglasses:

Very true, but I’m pescatarian. But thanks so much for your help!

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Here is a good video with Dr. Cate Shanahan who has written a book about the dangers of the seed oils, shortening would mean they have been processed even further into a hydrogenated form.

Vegetable Oil - The Silent Killer w/ Dr. Cate Shanahan

Thank you for sharing! This is really enlightening!

(VLC.MD) #9

What type of oil is vegetable shortening ?

The kind I have is a mix of soybean and hydrogenated palm.

Yikes - yes, trash bin!

(One of the most frustrating things to watch in nutritional studies is all fats being treated equally. THere’s a recent study out of China that added extra soybean oil to some cookies. The folks that were unfortunate enough to get those cookies gained weight, so the conclusion was that higher fat diets are bad for us.) :confounded: