Vegetable Oils and Shortening

food

(G V) #1

Hello everyone
I just join this forum and I would like to share my experience after I stopped consuming vegetable oils and it’s derivatives ( Crisco, fast foods, junk foods, bread, ). Inflammation and joint pains went away within two weeks, cognitive capabilities are amazing I feel so clear minded. Lost a lot of fat around my waist and throughout my whole body.
I’ve been doing the OMAD for about 3 months using pig lard of grass fed organic butter to prepare my one meal which include protein eggs and sometimes I include half of avocado.
What is your take in vegetable oils and shortening?

(UsedToBeT2D) #2

Poison.

(Polly) #3

Never touch them. Pah!!

(UsedToBeT2D) #4

Congrats. Welcome to better health.

(Allie) #5

Avoid at all costs.

They are in my very distant past - except at a relative where a tiny bit is hard to avoid but as I was pretty healthy when I ate them galore, my body is happy to handle this minuscule amount now and then and zero on most days. These are items I am just sure bad for me (and margarine tastes awful, no idea how people can handle it though some of them are less horrible than others but still quite bad even taste wise. Once I saw sandwiches, some great ham on a plain white shop bread with margarine… I was on low-carb since ages too… I pitied poor ham and a bit myself as well), my body complains about zillion other items.

It’s another thing I use almost zero lard and butter too, I have my reason for it but they are my chosen added fats I cook with (and coconut oil when it’s not only my own food, my SO dislikes lard. I barely use butter, it’s very expensive and I prefer the taste of lard except if it’s a dessert or a possible dessert. I make neutral pancakes with possibilities) and I am very pleased with them, especially lard that I get from a nearby pig farm I trust. Not all lard are the same, I am choosy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

(Bacon for the Win) #8

The Hateful Eight

(G V) #9

Vegetable oil companies all over the world are killing millions of people every year with false advertising and the help from government agencies.
They should be close down and held accountable for all the damage they have done to humanity. They are worst than tabaco and alcohol.

(Jane) #10

Consumed for years as I was convinced it was “healthier”.

bastards!!!

No seed oils darken our threshold these days. Occasionally consume when eating out, but minimal. I make my own mayo and salad dressings at home.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

It is worth remembering that the makers of Crisco oil put the American Heart Association on the map, with a large donation in the late 1940’s, and the AHA has in gratitude plugged vegetable oil as “heart-healthy” ever since.

(Marianne) #12

We have eaten cole slaw almost every night for a year and a half (luckily, we can eat the same thing all the time and not get sick of it). Anyway, I recently looked up the ingredients for the major brand of mayo and the first ingredient is soybean oil. :cry: Even the “olive oil” mayo is mainly soybean oil.

Any suggestions for a substitute? I really don’t want to make my own mayo.

(G V) #13

Eggs, mustard, salt and extra virgin olive oil best mayo you can ever have and it only takes a few minutes to make add a little bit of apple cider vinegar w/mother you’ll be surprised how good it tastes.

I don’t know why, but I thought I had once read that Crisco only became a cooking ingredient, after it failed as an industrial lubricant.

That’s probably urban myth, but it did start selling in stores after Proctor & Gamble decided to stop making candles, since electricity was becoming all the rage.

Maybe it’s cottonseed oil in general I’m thinking about, because for certain, Crisco didn’t become a thing until David Wesson figured out how to bleach and deodorize cottonseed oil, to make it appealing to consumers.

(Robin) #15

One of the things I love about this group is they do not beat around the bush. Poison! Stop! Don’t even think about it! Not kidding, that is the sort of input I need.

(UsedToBeT2D) #16

Vegetables oil are refined from crushed seeds, hexane is used as a solvent to dissolve the oil, and then the hexane is evaporated off to separate the vegetable oil. Hexane is a major component in gasoline blends for your car. Yes, I am an engineer at a crude oil refinery and we make gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel, as well as industrial lubricants. Your probably ingesting small amounts of hexane with your vegetable oils.

They’re junk. pretty rare to be used in my house.

(UsedToBeT2D) #18

Here’s what you can do with the vegetable oil in your pantry:
https://youtu.be/QEX1YFXYTdI

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #19

Cottonseed oil was sold as a foodstuff in the U.S. beginning in the 1860’s, I believe, about the time the confectionery and soda pop industries got their start (after industrial methods lowered the cost of refining sugar). Cottonseed oil was used to adulterate butter, then sold on its own. Crisco, I believe, didn’t appear on the market until the early years of the twentieth century. Crisco vegetable shortening appeared shortly after the oil did.

I, too, have read that both cottonseed oil and vegetable shortening were both originally developed as lubricants. I believe that Nina Teicholz said as much in her lecture on vegetable oils, but I would have to go back and re-watch, to verify that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

You can also fry your kale in Crisco—makes it slide more easily when you tip out the frying pan over the garbage bin. :rofl: