Vaulted off the horse, nailed the landing (Do not look if carb triggered)

(Rob) #1

So, as I mentioned elsewhere, I just finished my longest fast (7 days) and hit my century loss (mostly keto) and am a little bit pleased with myself… what to do to celebrate?

There are only a few friends and family I can send smug, self-congratulatory texts to or ask if I look skinnier in a FaceTime call :scream:

None of that was particularly satisfying… what to do, what to do… had a keto lunch and lovely keto dinner and it came to me… I had no 85%, no whipped cream in the house and I wanted a bit of sweet… I would walk to my favorite donut shop and avail myself of my favorite donut in the whole wide world… the fresh glazed buttermilk bar at Bob’s Donuts (24/7/364) in San Francisco.

I thunked that I owed myself a treat, and it was 2+ miles each way (uphill and down) so I would burn of some of the carbs and… well, 100.8 lbs!!

So I get there for the first time in 2 years (mostly either being in the UK, then on Keto)… where I used to a be sad regular who could not have any less that 3 of his faves, the buttermilk bar, a guinea pig sized apple fritter and whatever was freshest out of the fryer…

…and they were OUT of buttermilk bars (except day olds… NO THANKS :triumph:).

Was this karma… the keto gods telling me that they didn’t want me to jump off this horse?, Well played gods, well played… as I looked dejectedly at the donut-ista… he said,

“We have fresh maple bars coming out of the fryer…?”

Who am I to say no to a top notch, warm gooey, glazed half pound of carbacious-ness? I didn’t… and it was at least as good as I remember it… if not better. :yum::yum:

I know things are sweeter now for me so I did fear that it would be a sugar overload, but strangely it tasted just the same as it used to… maybe because it wasn’t mostly sugar and had a lot of fat? I don’t know, but it was LUSH!

This was a long-ass way of justifying a picture of a donut but the good news is…

1. I did NOT “fall off the wagon”
  2. I drove the wagon to Bob’s and hitched it outside
  3. I feel positive and comfortable in my choice
  4. I don’t crave more carbs

In fact I am interested in seeing what the first single carb-rich thing I’ve eaten since a slice of Christmas pudding on its eponymous day, will do to me.

TLDR - did well, had an intentional donut, feel great - ZERO GUILT - KCKO!

Thanks for indulging me :flushed:

(Karen) #2

Because we, occasionally, CAN!
k

Although I did fast after my last crash. I was afraid of never getting back to keto, but no problems. Yum!

(ANNE ) #3

I read that you has lost 100 lbs.

That is a jolly well done, and worth a celebration. Congratulations!
If I re read Jason Fungs book on fasting etc, it also mentions that celebration feasts are part of our lives and should be enjoyed…

That is one serious donut!! :open_mouth:
guess this fits into the ‘go big or go home category’ of life - love the ‘hitchup’ analogy :rofl:

(Raj Seth) #5

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I am stuck at 85# I don’t know what I will do when I hit a century…
I dont crave donuts anymore. In fact, I’ve been trying for the last few minutes and can not think of a single carbage-y thing that I crave… Ice cream was my kryptonite, but I really don’t crave that anymore.

Maybe I will celebrate with a pound of home made BACON! :bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Jenn Monaghan) #6

I’ve been on keto for 13 months now without jumping off the horse. But I do plan on having my favorite donut after I reach my goal and I will enjoy every bite of it! So I look forward to my donut in about 2 years from now. :sweat_smile:

(Brian) #7

Thanks for sharing, Bob!

Single events are usually non-events. It’s only when the single event turns into a quick repeating of the indiscretions that it becomes a problem.

Glad you enjoyed the doughnut! I can think of very few doughnuts I’d eat at this point as I’m pretty picky about what a really good one would be. Were I tempted with exactly the right one, I’d probably do just as you did. And then I’d get right back to ketoing onward and enjoy the memory, perhaps with the knowledge that sometime later this year, I may do it again, pretty much guilt free.

:slight_smile:

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #8

I’m right there with you… the occasional treat isn’t going to hurt you. Just don’t make it a habit. Whenever I do this I actually enjoy the treat far more than I ever used to. I savour the flavours and take my time enjoying it. Sometimes the sweetness is almost too much to bear, so I’m forced to go slow (I think this is how it should be). The most important part these days is that I enjoy it and move on without even the slightest craving or desire to continue with another. I watch friends and family mindlessly grazing on sweets all day long and I just want to shake them awake to the consequences of their actions.

(Troy) #9

Congrats!
Wow…100lbs?
So awesome

Now you give a great reason to go to the 24hour Donut shop, like I’m walking out the door now …not for me or selfish reasons , carb craving!
Apple fritter, old fashioned donut and maple bar
Actually, I just get a dozen. Cheaper :smile:

I’ll just put the blame on you :joy:
To Celebrate
Jk…lol

Well, once again
Thanks for sharing
Onward and upward

(Rob) #10

You think that’s a donut? This is their piece de resistance…
bobs_2

That’s a box for 1 dozen!! :exploding_head::yum::crazy_face::dizzy_face:

(Maybe at goal weight? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

(Rob) #11

Thanks, man.

That was me!

The recommended dose of Krispy Kremes was 1 dozen :flushed:

Gotta love keto control :metal:

(Brian) #12

That is a big doughnut.

Kinda reminds me of something that’s local here. There is a local family that set up doughnut stands at various locations around a neighboring county. They sell very large doughnuts, maybe not quite as big as the one in the picture, but way, way bigger than any typical doughnut.

Quantity doesn’t make up for mediocre quality, at least not here. My dear wife makes the occasional reference to them in general conversation as “fried biscuits”, mostly using it as a mild derogatory description. I don’t disagree. We tried them once, before keto. We have no desire to have another one. If it’s gonna be any real temptation, it’s gonna have to do better than that…

(Rob) #13

It’s such a personal thing. I’m from the UK but last 22 years in the US. My donut journey has been:

• UK - lovely, smaller, light, fluffy and always fresh because there weren’t donut shops so it would be from a stall at a fair or something
  • US - north east - Dunkin Donuts was common - never impressed, never fresh (cardboard)
  • US - north east - Krispy Creme arrived in NY - mind blown (always liked the fattier style) - had ‘one off the line’ fresh and that was it
  • US - west coast - area Krispy Kreme store was light bulb to a moth as long as I had a car
  • US - west coast - (no car) local 24hr place (Bob’s, local legend) blew KK away with quality of dough, variety of textures, walkability and all-hours convenience.

Some would call Bob’s greasy, fatty etc. but that’s how I’ve always liked them (maybe why I can handle 75% fat so easily) so people who like a fluffy ring, this isn’t for you.

Had I not found keto, I truly think this would have killed me… a box of donuts looked awful good to fill the dark hole I was staring into a while back. Amazing what a difference 6 months makes. Now I don’t crave them or fear them… I can savor one, now and again! :yum:

(Brian) #14

Enjoyed your geographical inventory, Bob. :smiley:

I know of people who go ga-ga over KK doughnuts. They’ll seek out the flashing “Hot” sign. They’ll assume that it’s a sign from the gods if there is a parking space out in front of the Krispy Kream store and wouldn’t you know it, on the 11th trip around the block one opens up right in front.

KK was always the doughnut I wanted to love but never quite made it. The first bite would be tasty and then something would give me a kind of queasy feeling if I ate any more. Not sure what that was exactly but I guess it helped me not to get addicted.

I don’t know what Bob’s is like but I do know of one little store that could probably still tempt me big time. It’s a little hole in the wall place that bakes it all fresh and from scratch and it’s the real deal. Real butter. Real cream. Real sugar. About the most awesome textures and flavors a person could ask for. And they sell out early. You don’t get there by noon, there’s a good chance you won’t have a whole lot to pick from. Even the day old rack will be slim pickin’s. Luckily, they’re 650 miles away from me.

Like you, it’s not something I want to go back to eating all the time. (For one it’s expensive.) But I ain’t gonna lie, if I happen to get close once or twice a year, it might just be an occasion we’ll enjoy. :slight_smile:

So how did you end up in the US? Curious what brought you across the pond?

Congratulations, fellow bay-area resident :slight_smile: That is truly amazing and I think we need (or I’ll say I need - speak for myself) to read these posts about venturing off from time to time, because life shows up.
There are simply times when people make you food that does not fit the crazy macros that ketoers eat. There are times you’re out with friends that you do the best you can, but it’s nowhere near ideal. And then there are times you reach milestones where you want to enjoy a flippin’ donut and MOVE ON. Just like one meal of keto wouldn’t heal anything, one indulgence (or meal, or even day I suppose?) of non-keto will not undo anything. You rock

(Doug) #16

Right on, Rob. :slightly_smiling_face: What if I had never changed my eating habits? – Some pretty grim implications, there, for many of us.

We all have our own pace, even if we occasionally stop or go in reverse a little.

(Randy) #17

The WIDOWMAKER!?!?!?!?!?! :smile:

Great thread title!!!

(Jennifer ) #18

There’s a huge difference between making an adult decision to indulge, and being COMPELLED to shove carbage in ye olde mouth-hole. I am glad keto has given you the opportunity to avoid the latter. Isn’t it nuts that is how we used to feel all the time? Like food was our cruel mistress having it’s way with us?

Also, the “hitched the wagon” analogy is great. I’ll be using that at some point.