Using stale pork rinds?

recipes

My husband brought home my favorite pork rinds from the Latin market across town. He left them on the counter since he got home late, and the cats tore the bag. Didn’t catch it and they aren’t super crunchy anymore. :angry:

I have never used pork rinds as breading or anything other than just eating them plain. Would these still be ok to use as breading crumbs? I was planning to bash them into bits and put in a mason jar to use in things like Brenda’s pancakes or breading for Carl’s chicken parm.

Is it even worth messing with, or should even those start out crunchy? What else could I do with them?

Try microwaving a few, should crisp them back up.

Or make these…PORK RIND PANCAKES!(OR WAFFLES!) (you're welcome)

They look fantastic :wink:

That’s exactly what I had in mind! Figured they would be getting wet so at least those should work. Usually I am just a jump in and try it kind of gal, but I am trying to be more focused and not waste so much time going down fruitless rabbit holes!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Microwaving or ovening ought to crisp them up. Even if you’re just going to turn them into waffles, the experiment would be worth trying! :pig::bacon:

UPDATE: microwaving didn’t work for me, but I put them in a 225deg F oven for 20 mins for so and they are good as new. Still gonna make pancakes soon! :slight_smile:

(Adriana) #7

If you have pork rinds that are not crunchy anymore you can cook them in salsa verde (green sauce), it’s a common mexican dish, really tasty :drooling_face:

@Adriana do you have a favorite recipe for it? Will definitely try it!

(Adriana) #9

This is a very similar recipe to the one I use: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/chicharrones-en-salsa-verde-247605

I just omit the jalapeños (not a huge fan of spice), use real garlic (1 or 2 cloves) and roast the vegetables instead of boiling them (minus the cilantro). It can also be done substituing tomatillos with tomatoes, but I prefer them with salsa verde.

This dish is great by itself with some sour cream and cheese, or eating alongside fried eggs or/and steak :grin:

Fantastic!! i found another recipe on the same site, but couldn’t figure out how to use the Chiccarones. That sounds amazing. Making it soon! Thank you so much!!

(Troy) #11

Yes!
Had this , something similar, w some eggs not to long ago!
Tasty😄

Those that like KETO tortillas
Add the above, over a fried tortilla
Or make an egg-chicharonnes burrito -ish

Pork rinds are cheap enough to painlessly discard if they go stale. I like fresh tasting food. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Adriana) #13

I hope you like it!

(Adriana) #14

I’m still looking for a good tortilla recipe, but eating it in a burrito sounds great! :grin:

Totally! I would usually just toss, or give to the dog here and there. but decent ones are difficult to find in our area and my husband only gets the kind I like from a Latin Market half an hour on the other side of town! haha. I hate to straight waste things. :joy:

Dunk chicken thighs In mayo, stone ground mustard, sriracha, salt & pepper
Roll in pork rinds
400 for 30 minutes