Urine strip test too high

newbies

(Sean B.) #1

(Perhaps naive) newbie question…I just started keto a week ago, and did the urine test to see if I was “in ketosis”. The urine strip was dark, my level was in the high zone. I read that the “sweet spot for weight loss” was 1.5 to 3, but I’m up around 8! The only info I can find online seems to answer the “too low” or “still negative” question. When I look into “too high” it immediately goes into diabetis info. Should I be worried? Am I in danger?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

Expert coming on board. Wait for it…………

(TJ Borden) #3

No, you’re not in danger for a couple reasons.

First, the urine strips are wildly inaccurate and are really only good to test for the presence of ketones, not the level.

Second, although higher than normal, 8 is not a danger area. The strips are measuring excess ketones and as you’re starting out your body is still learning how to effectively use ketones. As you use them more efficiently, the excess volume will go down.

(TJ Borden) #4

Hardly

(Empress of the Unexpected) #5

You are, shall I say, sensible? That’s a lost art.

(TJ Borden) #6

:joy::joy::joy::joy: can you tell that to my wife?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #7

Those closest to us will never buy it!

(Sean B.) #8

Thank you so much. I was getting worried!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

We are here to help! We are a very friendly forum. Don’t mind the fact that we sometimes joke among ourselves. When someone needs help, we help. Welcome to the forums!

(Sean B.) #10

I’m still in the “flu” zone. Finding it hard to concentrate…very foggy, especially after I eat. Head feels heavy. No nausea or stomach aches though. Just low energy and the fuzziness. Probably making me more paranoid I’m doing it wrong…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

Search the forum for electrolyte replacement. We need more salt on this diet, and magnesium and potassium. Spinach and avocados take care of a lot of it. But you can supplement if you choose. But the first few weeks, more salt. The body is excreting more.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

Please tell us what you eat every day. This way, we can give more specific advice.

I was feeling special needs for a week. It shall pass

(Sean B.) #14

Well here is today:

Breakfast: Omelette (2 eggs, thick slice of Brie, diced portobello mushroom, I cup of broccoli, 4 thin sliced turkey kielbasa, olive oil cooking spray).

Lunch: Stirfry of shredded chicken (about 1/2 cup), cup of broccoli, handful of baby spinach, olive oil, chilli flakes and peanut butter

4 bbq chicken thighs, salad of baby spinach, cucumber, soft goat cheese, sugar-free dressing.

And throughout the day snacks/drinks:

String cheese (2)

Dill pickles w/1/2 teaspoon of feta crumbles (3)

Silk coconut milk (roughly a cup) (this is the more drinkable kind in the almond-milk-type large carton not the more concentrated kind in the small can)

2% milk (maybe 1/4 cup if that)

Almond milk (about 1/4 cup)

Peanut and Almond butter teaspoons (altogether about 4 throughout day)

Black coffee (2 cups)

Lots of water!

I’m really just winging it based on the research I’ve done and the various food restrictions. I know all the food items are allowed but I’m not sure whether my amounts are ok. Seems like a lot maybe.

(Cheryl Meyers) #15

Read up about the timing of your meals and cutting out snacking. If you eat too often, you will up your insulin response, and that will in turn store fat if you have too much glucose in circulation, or at least prevent burning it. Dr. Fung et al recommend intermittent fasting to help prevent that. As you get adapted you will find you won’t need to eat as often. Poke around the blog here: https://idmprogram.com/the-fasting-advantage-part-14/ Good luck!

(Sean B.) #16

Thanks for the info. I will limit my snacking. Are the meals ok?

(Raj Seth) #17

Methinks the “keto flu” is mostly cured by inhaling salt in copious amounts. Hydration will automatically go up driven by thirst. Keto flu - cured!!

(Carissa JB) #18

I felt awful on and off for the first 5 weeks. Just stick with it :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #19

I’d limit nut oils and nuts, as these are high in Omega 6 fatty acids. The fewer meals per day, the better.